The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by gettingthere
Likely posted earlier in this thread, but going to bring it up again.

The user name in the properties pane when editing a segment is often the underlying user 'number' vs. the user name. You can get the name to show by clicking on Permalink - but we shouldn't have to do that. This is a problem since many editors constantly reference the last edited by field.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Workaround: Modify geometry or other attribute. The segment can then be deleted.
I thought that Waze had previously closed this loophole in the editor security model?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
WeeeZer14 wrote:Similar but different. Old loophole was to bypass segment lock. In this case, the segment is not locked, but the deletion function is blocked.
In any case, seems that this hole needs to be closed.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
SaxTeacher3 wrote:Is there a quick way to split a segment into two segments?
Draw a temporary road, drag the end to create a junction on the segment you want to split, delete the temporary road, save.

Sound like a lot but only takes a few seconds.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Do you mean split a 2-way segment into two 1-way segments? Or insert a junction in the middle of an existing segment?
My instructions were obviously on how to insert a junction. May or nay not be what the quoted poster was looking for a response on.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I disagree. I'd rather have the ability to have the maps updated more quickly.
I also disagree. Cartouche needs to be retired and we need to move on.

Dealing with water boundaries does not affect navigation and is of little concern. It's visual only. As stated previously by WeeeZer14 - we are maintaining maps to enable the Waze application to provide navigation and route around traffic, not to have pretty maps.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
R4CLucky14 wrote:Major rivers offer reference points that sometimes roads don't. I'm considering, after fixing up roads, going to add those in. It's a nice feature, but not a priority.
I understand, they can be helpful.

I guess I don't understand why they can't be added in WME. I see landmark types of sea/lake/levee, and river/stream. These don't work?

Edit - ok, I understand - Country Manager's don't have edit rights near water boundaries since Waze does not have the boundaries defined correctly. This also impacts editing the streets near the water boundaries so it needs to get corrected in any case.

At the Palo Alto Meet Up, Waze mentioned that they can correct these boundaries if requested to. Sounds like a request is in order...

Really, I don't see why Waze can't put the boundaries out in the water a bit so they don't have to match up exactly with the coastline. Why not put them apx. 1km / 1 mile, etc out?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Suik wrote:argh the roads layer is again loading slowly as hell on INTL :cry: any editor :)
http://status.waze.com/issues-with-worldwazecomeditor
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
There are plenty of current complaints regarding performance and display sync issues with the editor that is used for countries other than the US/Canada. Sorry....

Hopefully Waze is working on fixing it, again. Don't worry, it will surely degrade a few days after they fix it.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
CBenson wrote:Sure. I'm assuming its not just TIGER data, but an approximation of other map data sorces as well. So the waze developers saw fit to include this data in the waze database. Its not like they included all the data in the TIGER database. It seems that simply saying non-routeable segments are not useful and deleting them is contrary to some initial waze decision. I'm willing to do this if the data are causing problems. But I'm not going to second guess the developers decision just because I don't see how the data fit into the mission of waze.
The TIGER (or any other initial source) data was only a starting point (over 2 years ago now). It's very likely that things have changes in the minds of Waze since then.

As it stands now, there are no plans to enable a pedestrian mode in Waze. So the best recommendation now is to delete non-drivable road types if there is no purpose for them to be on the map for commuters driving a vehicle. If they are needed to stay for some other function (such as to avoid jams on adjoining roads for people who are using Waze out of scope from it's intended function - trains, bicycles, etc) - keep them mapped and be sure they are not junctioned to the road network.

Sorry, but I feel that it is silly to leave mapped elements on the map that are serving no purpose for commuters driving a vehicle.

Are you also leaving roads in your area that are not even valid, don't exist, don't go anywhere just because they were imported from TIGER? Why?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message