The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Instigater
Broken again! :twisted: Almost impossible to select roads, besides so typical slugishness.
Instigater
Send a message
Community Coordinator: Latvia
LV community: Operācija "Meži" - saraujam!
Other communities: Take the challenge! Go green! Improve map of your country and show us the progress!

Post by james_8970
If there was any way that we could have a default city that would automatically assign the city name to a road we create or edit that would be wonderful. It gets annoying having to enter the city name every time you edit an existing road or create a new one.
James
james_8970
Send a message
Country Manager for Canada

Post by james_8970
I'd have to agree, I've looked around my area and have to do numerous reversals. IMO, if such a feature were to be implemented, I believe AM should get exclusive rights to use it and bar any regular users from doing anything. It should be a fair compromise to the problem as the experienced users will know when its necessary and when its not.
I'm still new to this myself and have realized my past mistakes. It takes a few hours of editing to understand the pains of splitting and and compressing roads to realize when it is and is not necessary. My city is chaotic as it stands in its 'youthful' state, no need to experience these issues again in the future as maps mature.
James
james_8970
Send a message

Post by james_8970
I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this or not, but often when I select multiple roads (which are all connected) and make them one way, some sections of the road go in the opposite direction. I have a feeling I'm not the only one this is happening to as I have to correct the direction of certain sections of roads that are going in the wrong direction fairly frequently.

I have a hunch that when the roads were created, they were created in opposite directions. What I mean by this is that someone may have started a road on the right and ended it on the left, while a connecting road may have been started on the left portion and ended on the right side. When both of these are selected together, changing the road direction to 'one-way' results in different direction on each road. I hope this is somewhat clear. It doesn't always happen, but I have a hunch that what I just described has something to do with it.
James
james_8970
Send a message
Last edited by james_8970 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by james_8970
dknight212 wrote:The direction shown in the properties box is not consistent from segment to segment. It relates to the direction in which the segment was drawn. Try to draw a few segments and you'll see. This means that you have to treat each segment individually. Or do a lot with the first one way option then select all the wrong ones and then press r. This will switch them to the other way.

David, using Tapatalk
Yeah I thought this was the case, as reflected in my edit. My question is, what would be the reason for this? Makes absolutely no sense to do this and the editor should ensure that only one uniform direction is being used. Numerous errors will arise from people who, like me, assumed that it'd all follow a single direction.
James
james_8970
Send a message

Post by james_8970
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
james_8970 wrote:
dknight212 wrote:The direction shown in the properties box is not consistent from segment to segment. It relates to the direction in which the segment was drawn. Try to draw a few segments and you'll see. This means that you have to treat each segment individually. Or do a lot with the first one way option then select all the wrong ones and then press r. This will switch them to the other way.

David, using Tapatalk
Yeah I thought this was the case, as reflected in my edit. My question is, what would be the reason for this? Makes absolutely no sense to do this and the editor should ensure that only one uniform direction is being used. Numerous errors will arise from people who, like me, assumed that it'd all follow a single direction.
James
Because a segment must have a defined start point and end point. If the road is 1-way in the native direction, that is ->, but in the opposite direction it is <-. If you make the -> or <- selection in the editor, it sets the direction for all segments to either native, or reverse native. In this case, some of the segments will show going the "wrong" way because of the way they were drawn. It's quite logical. To have the editor figure out the direction you want each segment to go in all situations would be impossible.
I understand that, but once a road is selected the start and end point should be redefined as the two furthest extremities of the selected road rather than everything being broken down into each segment. No one can argue that the current way that the editor is setup will cause numerous errors.
James
james_8970
Send a message

Post by james_8970
gettingthere wrote:Simple workaround here....

* Select one segment
* Change the directionality
* Then move on to the next segment
* Save when done

And don't forget to update the turn restrictions at each intersection ;)

Really, how often are we changing long sections or road with many segments to one-way or from one direction one-way to the other direction?
I'm doing the vaste majority of my city right now and doing each segment is more time consuming, plus other new editors don't realize this problem and are messing the roads up by selecting the entire road and changing the direction after I have already edited them. This happens when new editors feel that what I selected as a minor highway and they feel its a major highway, etc. This is why I brought it up.
James
james_8970
Send a message

Post by james_8970
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The only other current option, James, as you already know is to select a range and select a direction the go and fix the ones which don't match. Until Waze has the time and resources to make anything else possible, this is what we've got. They do have a lot other projects going and this is, IMO at least, a fairly minor issue as the functionality exists to make it work correctly, it just takes some more time.

Try to do this with Cartouche like we used to in the bad old days and you'll come to appreciate that it is better than it used to be. I think it could be better as you are suggesting, but it probably isn't going to make it very high on the priority list at this time.

I do appreciate the extra time it does take, though and appreciate you helping out with the maps.
I wasn't trying to get it put onto the priority list, I merely raising the point that it is an issue and should be addressed at some point. I thought that was the purpose of this thread, or should I have posted this elsewhere?
James
james_8970
Send a message

Post by james_8970
gettingthere wrote:
james_8970 wrote:This happens when new editors feel that what I selected as a minor highway and they feel its a major highway, etc. This is why I brought it up.
I don't quite understand how this is related to the one-way issue described in the previous posts.

I agree with AlanOfTheBerg - thanks for helping with mapping and providing suggestions on improving. AlanOfTheBerg, I, and most everyone else here are part of the Waze Community not Waze employees, just like you.
Its related because new editors, for whatever reason, seem to adjust the direction of the roads when changing the road type. Or maybe the problem resurfaces once you change the road type? I haven't tested this, but I doubt changing the road type would effect the direction of the roads. In any case, roads that I know I had already corrected all of the sudden are broken once people change the road type. I might just start locking every major road that is a highway of any sort to avoid this headache in the future.

I realize you guys aren't employees, I just figured this was where you bring up glitches to the employees to add problems to the todo list, whether it be a priority or not.
James
james_8970
Send a message

Post by james_8970
gettingthere wrote:In the future Waze has stated that the security model will change and new editors will be limited from editing certain road types automatically as part of the security model.
That would be a perfect solution.
James
james_8970
Send a message