The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Adding a direct route

Post by tucsonsduke
I've been searching for a few hours and so far I've been unsuccessful in finding an answer. I regularly travel from Tucson AZ to Show Low AZ, which takes about 4 hours on the most direct route. There are a lot of places where there is random photo enforcement in a police van, as well as speed traps manned by police.

I'd love to report these as I drive there, but this is what brings me to the point of this post. Waze won't let me use this route when I initiate GPS directions, despite the fact that when I look at the GPS map all the roads along the way appear available.

If I just drive the route a few times without setting an explicit destination, but while keeping Waze open, will Waze learn that this is a faster way? Do I need to program a route manually to have it route me on this trip and if so how do I do that?

Thank you for your help, and I apologize for my noobieness.

tucsonsduke,
Wazer
tucsonsduke

POSTER_ID:5149210

Send a message

Post by gettingthere
tucsonsduke wrote:If I just drive the route a few times without setting an explicit destination, but while keeping Waze open, will Waze learn that this is a faster way? Do I need to program a route manually to have it route me on this trip and if so how do I do that?
You can just drive the way you want and Waze may adjust the routing. If it keeps trying to route you another way, you could always stop navigation mode and just drive with Waze running.

There is no way to manually program a route. All routing is served to the client from the Waze routing server (or in some cases if you don't have network connectivity the client can route on it's own - but the routing is generally not good). Keep in mind there is also an alternative routes button that may give you additional routing options.

Waze may or may offer the route that you had driven on future, similar trips. Waze will always try to route you the fastest way if you have that set in the options.

Waze is supposed to learn your favorite way (even if not the fastest) and present that option on the alternative routes screen with an icon of a heart. Based on feedback from other Wazers and confirmation from Waze support - that feature is currently not working.

Waze has decent algorithms and can modify certain map elements as Wazers are driving. Although to confuse you even more - if there are some serious underlying map issues such as streets that don't connect properly, etc. Waze may never present the route with these types of issues. In those cases, the route will need to be following in the Waze Map Editor checking all segments, junctions, and turn restrictions along the route.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by harling
tucsonsduke wrote:If I just drive the route a few times without setting an explicit destination, but while keeping Waze open, will Waze learn that this is a faster way?
Welcome! There are a few reasons that Waze might not suggest the best route.

1. Missing/inaccurate information
a. Waze lacks speed data for the desired route, or the data suggests the route is unrealistically slow (solution: drive the route a few times)
b. Waze's speed data for the routes it does suggest is unrealistically fast (solution: drive the other routes a few times, and/or wait for other Wazers to do it)

2. Road type: on longer routes*, Waze only looks at major road types* except for the beginning and end of the trip. If your route depends on a "lesser road" in the middle of a longish trip, Waze won't suggest it. (Solution: reclassify roads if appropriate)
* Where "longer" is >= 10km, and "major road type" >= Primary Street, IIRC)

3. Map problem
a. A restricted turn (or disconnected segment) will prevent Waze from suggesting a route
b. A connection where there shouldn't be one may cause Waze to think that one (or several) routes are better, even though they are not possible in reality.

The fun part is figuring out which one (or more) of these are the cause in your case, then watching it work. :)
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by tucsonsduke
Thank you, I'll try just that :-)
tucsonsduke
Send a message

Post by tucsonsduke
On closer examination of the map there's a few places where the road breaks. I'll be able to edit and fix the road after my next trip, when Waze records me as having driven there.

Thanks for the help guys!
tucsonsduke
Send a message