The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Duplicate, Identical Road Segments being created... (again)

Post by BrianCanFixIT
In WME, when I add a new road to the following road, then I pan whilst adding said new road, a duplicate of the original road (or two in this case) are created & sometimes deleted. Last similar post I saw on this was in cartouche in 2010.

Is this a known bug?

Road that I am junctioning from:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=64490709
Video of problem:
BrianCanFixIT

POSTER_ID:1219826

Send a message
Area Manager: Sacramento & rural California
iPhone 4s, iOS 5.0.1 JB

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BrianCanFixIT wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:BTW, what software are you using to make the video like that?
On OSX Lion you can use "Quicktime Player" to do screen recordings (in previous versions you had to purchase QuickTime Pro). Alan showed me that one.
Nice. :)

It would be nice to have seen the state of that road prior to drawing the new one just to make sure it wasn't already doubled? It's hard to tell right now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I just had this problem happen to me today. I'm not sure how long the segment needs to be before the first road "splits" but this sure is obnoxious. Same situation as before: the original road is a single segment and this happens only when you pan a few times during the segment drawing.

The original segment is split into two new segments with different temp ID numbers, but the original remains as well.

[youtube][/youtube]
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:I hit undo and started over and it happened again. A save and permalink solved it.
The only thing that worked for me is to draw a shorter segment. (The video starts with a fresh permalink load.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette wrote:From watching the video I can understand where the bug is coming from, and it is sort of understandable. The bug is you've split the original segment, then panned that split segment far enough off screen that it exits the segment cache for your current view, then once you pan back it reloads the original unedited segment.
That is a plausible cause, but this bug isn't consistent. I've drawn similarly in the past with an initial segment junction and panned the screen 2-3 times without having the split segment do this.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette wrote:But did you pan back before saving?
Nope. IMO, the interface should either disallow panning at the point where it would cause issues or disallow panning altogether, or handle the long panning.

Ori has confirmed this situation and has sent the bug report on to R&D.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Still not resolved. Not fixed in the current beta version of the editor either I believe.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This bug is still present in the current beta editor.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I just had this problem happen to me today. I'm not sure how long the segment needs to be before the first road "splits" but this sure is obnoxious. Same situation as before: the original road is a single segment and this happens only when you pan a few times during the segment drawing.

The original segment is split into two new segments with different temp ID numbers, but the original remains as well.

[youtube][/youtube]
From watching the video I can understand where the bug is coming from, and it is sort of understandable. The bug is you've split the original segment, then panned that split segment far enough off screen that it exits the segment cache for your current view, then once you pan back it reloads the original unedited segment.

The obvious work-around is to split, draw the first bit of new segment in your current view, save, then continue to extend the new segment. Or alternatively, not pan back to the original segment before saving (this may work, may not).
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bgodette wrote:From watching the video I can understand where the bug is coming from, and it is sort of understandable. The bug is you've split the original segment, then panned that split segment far enough off screen that it exits the segment cache for your current view, then once you pan back it reloads the original unedited segment.
That is a plausible cause, but this bug isn't consistent. I've drawn similarly in the past with an initial segment junction and panned the screen 2-3 times without having the split segment do this.
But did you pan back before saving?
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message