The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by invented
sketch wrote: This is another case where there's no reason to mess with convention. "to" is a small formality designed to keep ramps from being selected by the Select All Streets tool.
Where is the "Select All Streets" tool? I searched Google and the only thing I can find is another thread where you talked about it.
invented
Send a message

Post by invented
jasonh300 wrote:
invented wrote:
sketch wrote: This is another case where there's no reason to mess with convention. "to" is a small formality designed to keep ramps from being selected by the Select All Streets tool.
Where is the "Select All Streets" tool? I searched Google and the only thing I can find is another thread where you talked about it.
He means "Select Entire Street". It's the big gray button under all the segment and update data on the lower left hand side of the editor.
Ah. That is a pretty substantial typo.
invented
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I like the "to" before the control cities. Doesn't look as bad as the colons or commas.

I do think each onramp should have a control city, whether it's signed or not. The control city remains the same until you're past that city and then the control city changes. I've always been able to find a sign by an onramp (not EVERY onramp) between major cities to tell me what those control cities should be. There probably are examples where there are no such signs, but common sense should tell you what the major cities are. I assume Slidell, LA is only a control city because three major interstates intersect there.

My only question is what control city to use when you're inside of a city with a lot of exits. If you get on an onramp in the middle of New Orleans, you're going to New Orleans regardless of which way you go, so do you jump to the next control city (Slidell or Baton Rouge)?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:That's how I do it now, but to make the TTS sound best, I think it would be Exit 298: I-176 to Morgantown / PA-10 to Reading.
This is the only way to differentiate between a road that has two concurrent highway numbers and a road that is two different highways depending on which direction you turn.

The only problem is that the BGS's don't always give this much detail.

I think we need to match the BGS as much as possible, but sometimes when the BGS is lacking in information we're doing the Wazer a disservice by not clarifying it. I'm not suggesting that we add a bunch of info that's not on the sign, but we can arrange the info better to make more sense.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I just sent an e-mail to Dror asking about some of the things we were promised at the Wazemeet that seem to have been forgotten. Hopefully, this will speed up the process of getting the slashes converted to a pause.

One thing I can say for Sketch is that if we ever get that pause inserted for the slashes, he will probably immediately go back and change all of those second colons to slashes. He's been very consistent in the past about going through and fixing these kinds of things when Waze implements the changes on their end.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
sketch wrote: In the interest of fairness, just about all the ramps I have edited or am planning to edit were either not named at all or named incorrectly.
That's another point I wanted to make...they're certainly more correct now than they were before when they were blank.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I don't see any reason to drop the "to" in the onramps. It's not spoken in TTS (which would sound awkward) and it's accurate if you read the display because you're on a ramp "to X-##". The name doesn't display on the map if the segment is a Ramp type.

Dropping the "to" will still screw up Select Entire Road if there's no control city.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The problem with having unnamed segments where traffic actually flows is you get really strange automatically generated reports.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Well, yeah. There will be 30 different options, and each will get one vote. 8-)

Otherwise, you've hit the nail on the head...all but the last part. Waze already told us that they aren't going to get involved...that it's entirely up to us to decide how to handle this sort of thing.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
So are we dropping the double colon and going to colon then slash?

What about onramps with control cities? I think the last discussion was - to I-##: Cityname

You should add "ANY OBJECTIONS, SPEAK NOW" on your original post title so people will see it and come in and read the final proposal.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message