Required in Waze Map Editor in order to retire Cartouche?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Postby FrisbeeDog » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Agree with alternative names and also would suggest house numbers (if they will support routing to those rather than Bing locations).
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina
FrisbeeDog

Re: Required in Waze Map Editor in order to retire Cartouche

Postby FrisbeeDog » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:27 pm

DonJ2 wrote:My comments/suggestions:

House Numbers - I don't like them, too much effort to support them. It's hard enough just getting the roads and associated names correct. Also, it seems that adding house numbers creates junctions, which creates artificial delay (5 seconds each, right?). Please let me know if this is not true. If it is true, I know many of you may not care about such delays in neighborhoods, but we also have addresses on some main roads (I've seen them, assumed they were business addresses.)

Don

I've never seen house numbers create junctions before and I've added quite a bunch (hundreds). The reason that I need them is there is a long lag time before new roads and house numbers get added to Bing. So if a user posts a request that they can't navigate to their home, then we can work with them to add house numbers that Waze can (hopefully) navigate too.
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina
FrisbeeDog

Postby fvwazing » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:08 am

Without Cartouche as a lock-picking tool the importance for managing the locks right in WME grows. We need a layer that shows which segments are locked or not.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby gerben » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:32 pm

foxitrot wrote:Exactly. A list of URs and (a separate list of) Problems. Meaningfully sorted, or even better, user-sortable (by date, wazername, UR type, distance from somewhere (e.g. from the current position in WME)).

ATM blindly looking around for some is a very time-consuming game and does not allow for any system in the work. Rather a half-baked feature preview for alpha-testers, weeks prior to releasing it.

+1

Sort options are new, but the list function needs to be ported! And while they are programming it, please let them program a list for automatic problems as wel...
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:42 pm

* Add the no names street layer into WME. I often use this to easily identify streets that need to be named.
* Update LiveMap so that Update Request don't still go into Cartouche.
* Migrate and delete all legacy Update Requests from Cartouche to WME.
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:54 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:gettingthere, I'm not sure why LiveMap URs need to go to WME as a requirement. The number of URs from the livemap is probably very small, less than 1%?

So it is acceptable to you if an end-user puts in an Update Request in LiveMap that it's orphaned in a system that we can no longer access when Cartouche is retired? Another option would be to disable the entry of Update Request from LiveMap if it's not really needed.

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I'd love to see legacy URs copied over, but not sure I agree I would see that as a requirement.

Again, it is not acceptable for unresolved Update Requests to be orphaned in Cartouche. They have to be migrated to WME prior to Cartouche being retired. Not specifically on-topic since it's not a missing editing function but missing data. Funny is that Waze mentioned weeks ago that this will going to happen....
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 pm

PhantomBlack wrote:A working rank & lock system should be on the list. Please don't take away my lock pics just yet. It seems like since they knocked the IGN's back to 1 everything they touch has an invisible lock and I have to go into the old editor and make a change and save to clear it. 100K+ edits and I still can't do anything of importance in the new editor.

Actually you may have touched on the #1 thing that people are using Cartouche for - getting around the editor rank security model in WME.

I am expecting the Unlock Requests here on the forum to rapidly increase when Cartouche is retired. Assuming no changes to the security model in WME.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Timbones wrote:The 'reverse connectivity' bug can fixed without Cartouche though, right?

Absolutely. Use the shortcut key 'Q' to disable all turns at the intersection and then enable the correct turns one-by-one. Do not use the shortcut key 'W' to enable all turns at intersections where one-way roads are junctioned.

Although you can't identify where you have reverse connectivity issues in WME since you can't see the turns that are incorrectly allowed since those arrows are hidden in WME.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Timbones wrote:Alternative method is to change the segments to 2-way, and check the turns, then set them back again. :)

A model of efficiency!
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomBlack » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:21 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:gettingthere, I'm not sure why LiveMap URs need to go to WME as a requirement. The number of URs from the livemap is probably very small, less than 1%?
I like using live map to leave UR's being one of the few non-AM's here I find it useful to mark spots where I need an AM to make some changes to a segment that fell out of my area to complete a job. If I am only part of 1% then nuke it but it is useful, sometimes it is just hard to make the time to mark a spot while driving I bet if more people new the feature was there it would get more use.

A working rank & lock system should be on the list. Please don't take away my lock pics just yet. It seems like since they knocked the IGN's back to 1 everything they touch has an invisible lock and I have to go into the old editor and make a change and save to clear it. 100K+ edits and I still can't do anything of importance in the new editor.
Wisconsin-based US Country Manager
PhantomBlack
Beta tester
Beta tester

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor