Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by searchjaunt
jm6087 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:27 pm As a general rule, "We are working on it", means exactly that.  They are working on it.  If there were details that could be shared as to what the issue is or how long it will take to fix, I am sure it would be shared. 

I suggest letting the devs work on the issue and not having a bunch of people ask "when will it be fixed"

So if no details are shared on what the issue is and how it'll be fixed indicates that one doesn't have any idea?
Being a professional IT person myself, I find the question on how long an  issue will persist more than reasonable from the user perspective. Answering by letting the devs do their work instead answering stupid end user questions is far from good PR. This long lasting issue itself isn't good PR either. Certainly not towards L1 & L2, when they will lose regions when the 'lost' drives can't be recovered.
searchjaunt
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by searchjaunt
I hope that things get fixed really soon and no data is lost, For the future, I'd plead for honest and open communication concerning issues towards the editing community. After all, they're providing free content and make what Waze currently is and deserve more than a marketing clincher. Bad news, not looking good in the viewpoint of the company, is always better than no news, even PR wise.

searchjaunt
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by searchjaunt
MaximKiev wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:56 pm Hi,

I see my drives again. Two weeks and about 1500 km are lost. But happily, this error has finally been solved. Thank you

I can confirm that drives are coming trough, but only one of the two drives yesterday are shown, so it isn't completely fixed.
And the drives of the last 2 weeks are indeed gone. I would advocate that one fix the latter. As an IT'er, I would say it isn't impossible as the history of the drives is still available in the apps themselves as far as I can see.

searchjaunt
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by searchjaunt
maiapas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:38 am Hi Everyone,

I am glad to let you know that the issue of missing drives appears to be solved for future drives. That said, we are still monitoring it closely to make sure it is indeed fixed. 

Best,
Maia

As said, the issue isn't completely fixed as I see only 1 of the 2 drives I've done yesterday and both show in the drive history in my app
searchjaunt
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by searchjaunt

I am glad to let you know that the issue of missing drives appears to be solved for future drives. That said, we are still monitoring it closely to make sure it is indeed fixed. 

As mentioned before, we still can't be sure if we'll be able to restore all sessions lost since the beginning of the issue. We are still investigating feasibility.
Due to some attempts to restore old drives and the extra congestion that old data could create in our systems, you may also see that new drives could be slower to process.

Please expect an extra update from our side on the evolution of this issue,  but not before Monday, Dec 6th (approximately).

Thanks again everyone for your patience and for providing examples! Apologies for the temporary inconvenience.

Best,
Maia

I'm afraid that things stopped looking good with that one single drive on Dec 2nd. The other drive that they and all the ones after that don't show (yet?). :(

searchjaunt
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by searchjaunt
With all due respect but I don't see that as a solution and pollutes the maps with unnecessary data, where one can doubt if one doesn't need permission to put the data online and infringes privacy and other laws.

Having said this, > 3 weeks is a very long time in IT terms to solve an issue. Waze depends heavily on the community, so Waze should make sure that they can provide the robust tools in order to achieve this. Currently, I only see the problems increment. Looking at the forums, there are plenty of people having connection problems on top which can't be blamed to bad reception.

So far, one can't provide the certitude that things are or will be fixed (which I doubt, since missing drives after the previous announcement) and the guarantee that the 'lost' drives gets recovered. As said, as far as I'm concerned, looking as an IT'er to the issue, shouldn't be a big deal to do so.

Again, this is no good situation for building a relationship with L1 an L2 editors, depending on their drives to make sure that the map data of their beloved navigation app are accurate for themselves and the other users.

searchjaunt
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by searchjaunt

As mentioned before, we still can't be sure if we'll be able to restore all sessions lost since the beginning of the issue. We are still investigating feasibility.
Due to some attempts to restore old drives and the extra congestion that old data could create in our systems, you may also see that new drives could be slower to process.

Please expect an extra update from our side on the evolution of this issue,  but not before Monday, Dec 6th (approximately).

Thanks again everyone for your patience and for providing examples! Apologies for the temporary inconvenience.

Best,
Maia

Hi,

What's the actual status of this issue?
As mentioned, since your announcement that it should have been fixed, there is no sign of my drives on Dec 4th, 5th and 6th. What's the reason for this not functioning despite being solved?

Furthermore, I insist on a solution for the 'lost' drives. I don't see any reason from an IT perspective why these drives can't be recovered. If one doesn't want to do a bulk recovery for whatever (well-founded) argument, please provide a tool for the affected users in order that they can retrieve their 'lost' drives if desired.

Many thanks in advance for a clear quick response and a quick solution in order that this issue can be closed.

Cheers,

Searchjaunt

searchjaunt
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by searchjaunt
Yet another drive missing yesterday. In fact all data/stats were gone for a while, but the drive didn't come back.

When will this be finally fixed and one one will offer a solution for all those lost drives?
Again, this is far from looking good towards the community trying to help Waze to be as accurate as possible. With such an unstable environment, it's very difficult to achieve. I'm very reluctant to be an ambassador towards new people for a system that isn't functioning properly.

I hope that Waze cares about this community and comes very quickly with a fix for the problem and a solution for the lost drives and this will be communicated via this channel (where one remains very silent lately).

Many thanks in advance

searchjaunt
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by searchjaunt
With all due respect, I didn’t hear/read any argument why the lost drives couldn’t be retrieved.
The data is/was available so IT wise it’s a no brainer which can be be achieved very quickly.
If one doesn’t want to stress the system and check all active users for lost drives for that period, an alternative would be to provide a form where one can indicate if one wants to retrieve the lost drives. The load will be spread too with that option.

searchjaunt
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message