The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by DownPeriscope
searchjaunt wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:38 pm
maiapas wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:29 am Thank you everyone for your reports and apologies again for the inconvenience.

We are still working on mitigating this issue.

Best,
Maia

Any indication of a timeline when the problem should be fixed and what will happen with the 'lost' drives?

From what I heard, we can hope that the problem will be fixed eventually. It seems to be recurring and was reportedly fixed in the past. Also, we shouldn't be too hopeful as far as the lost drives go. They're likely to be gone forever.

DownPeriscope
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Kind regards,

DownPeriscope

https://imgur.com/iEXamh4.png

SM Rhineland-Palatinate
AM Westl. Sauerland, Märkischer Kreis, Pfalz & Rheinhessen.

Edits mainly in the Netherlands and Germany.
Messages may contain humour, including but not limited to irony and sarcasm. Readers who take everything seriously are advised to cover their eyes. ;-)

Post by DownPeriscope
jm6087 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:27 pm As a general rule, "We are working on it", means exactly that.  They are working on it.  If there were details that could be shared as to what the issue is or how long it will take to fix, I am sure it would be shared. 

I suggest letting the devs work on the issue and not having a bunch of people ask "when will it be fixed"

Wow. I'm guessing your day job isn't in PR or diplomacy... :shock:

The problem (or rather: this instance of the problem) has persisted for more than 2 weeks now. All we're getting is "we're working on it", without even a hint of what "it" is. In the meantime, low level grunts like me are left with guessing, waiting and listening to mounting discontent and unrest among the users in our respective (national) fora. We would like to offer them some sort of horizon of hope. But you seem to be telling me that asking for a bit more information is too much for the devs to bear. You would rather that we underlings all p... off and admire global heroes and other deities quietly from afar.

Well then: Yes, master! Sorry for asking, master!

DownPeriscope
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Kind regards,

DownPeriscope

SM Rhineland-Palatinate

Messages may contain humour, including but not limited to irony and sarcasm. Readers who take everything seriously are advised to cover their eyes. ;-)

Post by DownPeriscope
tmaiapas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:38 am Hi Everyone,

I am glad to let you know that the issue of missing drives appears to be solved for future drives. That said, we are still monitoring it closely to make sure it is indeed fixed. 

As mentioned before, we still can't be sure if we'll be able to restore all sessions lost since the beginning of the issue. We are still investigating feasibility.
Due to some attempts to restore old drives and the extra congestion that old data could create in our systems, you may also see that new drives could be slower to process.

Please expect an extra update from our side on the evolution of this issue,  but not before Monday, Dec 6th (approximately).

Thanks again everyone for your patience and for providing examples! Apologies for the temporary inconvenience.

Best,
Maia

Thank you very much, Maia, both for the fix and for the information.

I've noticed new drives showing up in WME again, starting (for me) in the 2nd half of December 1. Also, I've noticed the delay you mention in processing new drives. Actually, I'm glad that you've confirmed my hope that it was a delay for the reasons you mention. Part of me was somewhat fearful of a new glitch at first.

Something that I think still merits the team's attention are the lost URs. I've been sending (repeat) URs from the app the past couple of days to see if they show up in WME. So far they haven't. So the new drives now show up, but the URs from the same drives do not. While those of us who read this forum now know it's part of a problem being worked on, other users who aren't active on here but just use Waze for navigation might still be frustrated by the lack of a reaction to their URs. If a solution isn't found soon, maybe some sort of warning in the app could be an idea, but I'm no expert on marketing communication, so I defer to those who know best. While I tend to like openness and honesty, I'm well aware that I'm not the average consumer. :-)

Summing up: a bucket load of kudos to you and the team for your great work and information. On a personal note, I thank you for your kind and effective reminder of the forum etiquette rules.

DownPeriscope
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Kind regards,

DownPeriscope

SM Rhineland-Palatinate

Post by DownPeriscope
searchjaunt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:44 am
maiapas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:38 am Hi Everyone,

I am glad to let you know that the issue of missing drives appears to be solved for future drives. That said, we are still monitoring it closely to make sure it is indeed fixed. 

Best,
Maia

As said, the issue isn't completely fixed as I see only 1 of the 2 drives I've done yesterday and both show in the drive history in my app

Maybe this is the lag Maia refers to in her post, the delay resulting from massive loads of data being processed upon implementing the fix. I found drives showing up with that delay. Maybe yours will still pop up too in the next couple of hours. I'd suggest giving it a day or so before pulling out your hair in despair ;-)

DownPeriscope
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Kind regards,

DownPeriscope

SM Rhineland-Palatinate

Post by DownPeriscope
turbomkt wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:41 pm
searchjaunt wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:41 am With all due respect but I don't see that as a solution and pollutes the maps with unnecessary data, where one can doubt if one doesn't need permission to put the data online and infringes privacy and other laws.

I disagree with this.  Adding a picture of an address or business is valuable - it's the intent of pictures on places and residential point places, giving visual cues of which building, etc.  

In most countries, there's also no way that it can infringe on privacy and other laws.  The outside of buildings are public facing and there's no expectation of privacy.

I'm with @turbomkt on this, but @searchjaunt isn't from most countries, and I think he's taking the German perspective. Google abandoned street view in Germany, much to the dismay of most people, even most Germans, because of the strict privacy laws in Germany. Google didn't want to blur buildings at the request of the extremely privacy-minded homeowners, so it gave up street view altogether.

Here's a link to an article about that: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-11595495

It may well boggle the mind of everyone else, but the street facing wall of a German house can have a reasonable expectation of privacy - or at least the people hiding behind it can. ;-)

DownPeriscope
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Kind regards,

DownPeriscope

SM Rhineland-Palatinate

Post by DRail_100
I'm missing a specific Drive for 10-24, yesterday I showed 2 Drives already for 10-25, but now I dont show any Drives AT ALL for 10-25.
Its like they vanished....
DRail_100
Send a message

Post by DRail_100
I too have not accumulated ANY drives since 9-30 @ 12:55

Using Beta v 4.55.90 (900), updated on 9/26/2019 / iOS 13.1.2 iPhone 11 Pro Max
DRail_100
Send a message

Post by drcain
Is it possible to ask the staff to check a specific user? I have a lot of very important gaps in my drives since April 27 - lot's of URs not showing up, newly paved roads, etc. Well actually - there are still more older gaps I frankly don't care about (only casual driving), but since April 27 there are the important ones missing (starting April 27th until today I am doing drives specifically for map fixing - hundreds of km). Drives from today (May 12) have already appeared, but the very important gaps are still there.

I thought that my in-car WiFi might be causing the problems (I have SIM card in car) - like Waze discarding the drive data thinking it's fake, but that doesn't seem to be the case - the gaps seem to be completely random (tried to drive both with or without wifi turned on).
drcain
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c4.png
:: we come to move your soul ::

Post by drcain
vince1612 wrote:Does anyone have examples from after April 22nd that are still unsolved (but not from the last 7-10 days)?
My status remained unchanged. None of the missing drives appeared until today.
I will give two examples out of many (it's quite difficult to go name all of them, as there are some drives recorded randomly during the problematic dates):

April 27th - seems that drives have been recorded only for a half a day - afternoon drives still missing
May 10th - missing completely
etc.
drcain
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c4.png
:: we come to move your soul ::

Post by dspille
jm6087 wrote:
world_hc310lj2 wrote:Hello. I’d like to ask the ff:

1. Is it possible that, from reviewing the drive history, one of the trip is cut and not recorded up to its destination. Why is that so?

2. Are the drives from the history accurately show the pick-up & drop-off point? Or the cut to the final point possible?

Thank you.

Waze does not include start or end point for security reasons.
I know this to be the case for URs. I'm not sure it is for your personal drives. I'm seeing my full drive including start and destination in the drives tab.
dspille
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message