Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

No Speed Cameras in New York State

Post by pointlessly
It's irritating to see Speed Camera warnings anywhere in New York State. They do not exist, and are clearly there because someone accidentally or ignorantly (or intentionally and ignorantly) put the warning into the system. How about a universal lift of any "speed camera" or "speed trap" warning on the New York State maps? Perhaps someone thinks a radar-operated warning sign is a speed trap? Whatever.... :roll: I'm tired of hearing a warning about an upcoming speed trap on my commute and no matter how many times you tell Waze it's not there, it remains.
pointlessly

POSTER_ID:4691559

Send a message

Post by gettingthere
jasonh300 wrote:They're still in violation of federal law. The feds are just turning a blind eye to it because they can't figure out what to do about it
Exactly my point. Same concept as NYS and NYC. Maybe NYS is turning a blind eye in regards to red light cameras in NYC.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jasonh300
gettingthere wrote:Ask the medical marijuana dispensaries in California if they aren't selling pot since it's illegal per federal law...
They're still in violation of federal law. The feds are just turning a blind eye to it because they can't figure out what to do about it, and they probably don't want to open up a huge can of worms.

Edit: Mapcat beat me to it.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by maantje76
Speedcams don't appear in the client, before they are approved by an area manager. Before approving, you can only see them in the editor...

You can send à map error while driving

You can always choose to switch of Speedcams in your setting, however popups still show up...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Looks like they may be legal soon. That's the most recent article I could find. It also mentions that red light cameras already exist in the city.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
Spil wrote:... but the article that you linked is only talking about New York City, not New York State. (Do we really need to open that discussion yet again? :lol: :lol: Okay, one more time for all you non-NY'ers: there's a lot more to New York State than just NYC! :P)
If they are legal in NYC, then they must not be illegal in NYS. Even though NYC is its own entity within NYS, it can't legalize something that the state has declared illegal.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
gettingthere wrote:Ask the medical marijuana dispensaries in California if they aren't selling pot since it's illegal per federal law...
That federal law isn't enforced in states where medical marijuana is legal per state law.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by Spil
mapcat wrote:Looks like they may be legal soon. That's the most recent article I could find. It also mentions that red light cameras already exist in the city.
Not sure exactly where pointlessly is driving in NYS ... but the article that you linked is only talking about New York City, not New York State. (Do we really need to open that discussion yet again? :lol: :lol: Okay, one more time for all you non-NY'ers: there's a lot more to New York State than just NYC! :P)

That said ;), I agree with gettingthere ( :o is there really a first time for everything, then?! ;)) -- I have yet to delete an editor-confirmed speed camera or red-light camera, among the countless cameras that I've deleted here in upstate NY. Yes, they get reported a lot (and I delete them a lot), but they don't get confirmed. Maybe it's just because of the lack of editors in NYS, I don't know ... but I've never found one that has been confirmed by an editor (and thus would be announced in the client ... the point of the OP, as I recall ;)).
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by Spil
AndyPoms wrote:In NYS, up to 150 Red Light Cameras are legal in cities with a population over 1,000,000 people...
And how many such cities does NYS have? Yep, just that one, NYC. (Look it up yourself if you want to take the time. ;)) Granted, that one city has 8+ million, but it's the only one over 1 million in the state -- in fact, you can combine the populations of the #2 through #7 cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, Syracuse, Albany, and New Rochelle) and still come up short of a million residents between them.

And again, the OP was talking about speed cameras only, not red light cameras. Automatic speed cameras are not currently authorized by the NYS legislature in cities of any size (although there was an attempt made to do so in 2010, but it was removed from the proposed legislature before it went to a vote).
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by zman1403
There are NO Speed cameras in the City of New York. I have been deleting them from my Area. Due to the NYPD Surveillance cameras as well as all the traffic camera, license plate readers, EZ Pass readers, Radiation and Biological detectors people are confused. I delete an average of 5-10 Speed Cameras daily as they crop up.
I however have only seen a handful that anyone approved. Those are gone also.
zman1403
Send a message
Area Manager: NYC, Brooklyn, Queens