The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by CrackedLCD
After that last image, mine hardly compares. I started seeing all kinds of crazy stuff in a nearby town, including someone gone mad with landmarks:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2im8h2g.png

Note that this is after I deleted nearly a hundred parking lot segments, each only a few tens of feet in length, none connected to any other road.

I did my duty and sent the offending user a polite and helpful PM about editing basics. He claims his little kid got on and did all the editing. Talk about a baby Wazer! There must be hours and hours of work he put in to drawing and labeling every little business in this town, and drawing unconnected parking lot roads, and making roundabouts for dead end streets. The little tyke must not have known about the undo feature, either, because some of these are landmarks upon landmarks upon landmarks. Whee!

I'm working with another new editor to clean up some of this, and the user (the father, presumably) has said he'll clean up what he can find as well.

If it's true, it's definitely the first time I've been told "my child did this", but it doesn't make me mad because when I was but a wee laddie, I was drawing maps all the time too. Had this technology been around back in those halcyon days of yore, I'm sure I would have completely ruined most of central Alabama for everyone. :oops:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
You remember my post from the other day showing all the landmarks and parking lot roads that were wrong? I'm STILL finding tomfoolery from this editor's kid. Here's a shot where he landmarked every home on the street:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2emndac.png

This is the third set of streets I've found like this. On the bright side, someone recently unseated me as top of the points list in my state; with all this deleting and editing, I'm sure to regain the crown any day now. *sigh*
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
coontex wrote:
Fredo-p wrote::shock: :o
Looks like there may some trust issues there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dear Dave: RUUUUUUN! :lol:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
taco909 wrote:I saw a lot of work by L3 editors after the Mapraid that had me wondering who had approved their promotion.
I can understand that sentiment. I've had to gently nudge a few L3s towards the guidelines as well. On the one hand, I remember it seemed so difficult for me to finally get promoted, but then I remember as a 3 (and even as a 5 now) I still occasionally make mistakes. And not just "the rules changes and no one told me" mistakes, but honest to goodness rookie mistakes occasionally. :oops:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
No pictures on this one, but today I can report on a Jolly editor — me. :oops:

In my infinite wisdom I decided to be proactive and use the new closure feature to close a section of road that the county is going to be working on. It worked great, so I found another road where the bridge is out, closing a small section of an otherwise long rural road.

It didn't dawn on me to read the wiki first — how complicated could a road closure feature really be? — so I created nodes on either side of the bridge that's out and then tried to put a closure on just that section over the river. Nothing doing, the editor kept throwing an error message. I tried recreating that small section and merging it back with the other existing bits of road, nada.

So then I asked about it in a thread in my regional forum and got my butt chewed out for not reading the wiki. Apparently any changes to a road mean the closure feature won't work 'till the road shows up on the map. D'oh! Yes, even a level 5 who 'should know better' occasionally forgets that this editor is not idiot-proof. Luckily, the road is dirt, incredibly rural and the bridge is out indefinitely, so I just deleted that section. Not perfect, but in accordance with the old rules (which seem to change every day now.)

Now I am sufficiently "tail tucked between legs" I know to check the wiki, check the forum before I do anything I'm even remotely unfamiliar with. :roll:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Wow, I had no idea my little slip would generate so much discussion on this thread. After re-examining the road I tried to close earlier, I think breaking the segment seems to be the best solution for now. There is no set time for bridge replacement. Indeed, I've found out it's just a wooden trestle on a dirt road, with no houses or much in the way of GPS points. It is very much a lesser used road, apparently.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Jay91150 wrote:Ever been just minding your own business, clearing up road names and such, and go "What the..."
It reminds me of those strips of candy dots you get at the dollar store!
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
A road-based visual interpretation of fourth of July fireworks, perhaps? :D
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by crazed_out
Next to Wetmore Road...
crazed_out
Send a message

Post by crazycaveman
Someone really likes their parking lots...

...Yes... Those are all parking lot areas created by a rank 1... :o :shock:
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message