The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by taco909
I saw a lot of work by L3 editors after the Mapraid that had me wondering who had approved their promotion.
We also had one L3 (unrelated to the raid) who was "fixing" red roads created by L1 and L2 editors... but was only fixing the fact that it was unconfirmed. PLRs were left as BBQ grills, with Revcons on the one-way segments, and with the no connection issues on the "A" nodes or where new PLRs might be attached to L3+ parent segments.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Grrr... I kept trying to click on that place point under the edge of the blue road :lol:
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
SkiDooGuy wrote:If it's out indefinitely, deleting is the best possible solution anyway...

No point in giving the server the chance to use it if it's never gonna be there.
Which brings to mind how to handle something that is on the map, but presently closed, and closed forever?

If we delete the segment, we then lose the RTC because we have to remove the closure to edit the segment, which would cause the path to return to routable until the edit goes live.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
SkiDooGuy wrote:I still prefer to disconnect.

Seen the server ignore closures to often to stand by them.

But that's just me.
I back up closures with yellow turns and segment restrictions.

I view closures as a visual benefit for the user... I frequently get "Road closed" URs where they were simply informing us that a road was not open, even though they were not routed onto it.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
I try to avoid disconnection unless a) it has been problematic, and b) it is a LOOOONG term closure like a RR overpass.
For closures such as that, the new configuration is going to be so totally different that any current speed/turn information will no longer be valid by the time it reopens.

For something that's going to be a few months? I'd rather leave it connected, just restricted and locked high.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
My experience is generally when people realize they are dealing with volunteers who are simply Waze users, they calm down. When they drop the URs they are thinking they are going to Google or perhaps some outsourced tech support company.
I had one UR that did indicate "Your volunteer is clueless"...
I informed him that we are ALL volunteers, but I need more information than "Your volunteer is clueless" to resolve his issue.
Never received a response.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Firree wrote:Not sure where exactly this street name came from.
Likely someone who repeatedly added their driveway and had it deleted by another editor.

Honestly, with multiple structures and potentially two addresses, I wouldn't have an issue with that being mapped, set to PVT, and perhaps even named to match Rancho Buena Vista, but using residential Place Points, the name wouldn't be needed for proper routing.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
See above:
Day 1: add 500 PLRs
Day 2: remove 500 PLRs
Day 3: promoted to rank 2.
R2 is too easy to reach... especially now that they increased the requirement for R3, and R3 must still be approved by the RC.
No quality control at all on R2, and I encounter their "droppings" frequently.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
KC-Guardrail wrote:
JB15TM wrote:Driving opens up new areas to edit. But there is a downside... and this was from a Rank 2. SMH
I'm always amazed at the incompetence of some of the level 2 editors. Maybe it's time they raise the edit count before getting a level 2. Perhaps Waze could have some required reading before attaining level 2.
1 - Required reading and completing a basic multiple-choice form
2 - RC approval for R2 promotions
3 - Increase minimum requirement to 5000 edits *AND* 90 days, or keep it at 1000 edits, but exclude PLR/PVT segment type.
4 - Deduct segments deleted by L3+ editors from their edit count.... 200 segment deletion = automatic flag, block from editing, and system-generated PM sent informing them to contact their RC with contact information for the RC. This would have a similar effect as increasing the required edit count.
5 - Requirement that editor have PM's enabled on the forum

We actually have a local editor who has been around for years, and has enough edits to make L4, but is permanently locked at L2 because he refuses to communicate with other editors outside of URs.
It's a shame, because he really does know what he's doing and COULD be a valuable asset, but he does a lot of things incorrectly and there is no way to correct him. He shows up maybe once every 3 or 4 months, blasts through with a bunch of edits for a couple of weeks, then drops off the planet.

Another disturbing trend that I've been seeing is where editors are disconnecting and reconnecting segments from junctions.
They don't always properly reset the TRs, and often times (what usually catches my attention) they reconnect the side street 2 or 3m away from the original junction, leaving a short segment, and sometimes then creating an overlapping segment in their attempt to realign their work with the aerials.
When confronted via PM, they are always polite and apologize for their mistakes, but they NEVER respond to the question, even when repeated, "What was the purpose of your edit on this segment?" "I see what you did, WHY did you do it?"
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
nzahn1 wrote:
taco909 wrote:R2 is too easy to reach... especially now that they increased the requirement for R3, and R3 must still be approved by the RC.
R2 is just as easy to reach as when todays L4s-L6s were L1s, whether that was last year, or 4 years ago.
Exactly.
That was my point.

R2 gets to the level where damage can be more of an impact on routing.
It was made harder to get to R3, and R3 always required RC approval (in the US)... yet R2 is still automatic.
See the half-joke above.
Draw 500PLRs
Delete 500PLRs
Make L2 (and start connecting PLRs to minor highways, while still not understanding turn restrictions.)

The "recommended" lock level for most Places is also L2... and I work URs from improperly placed URs daily... many of these last touched by an L2.

When L3 was increased from 10k to 25k, L2 should have been increased as well.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich