The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by jondrush
mapcat wrote:
troyv wrote:I am seeing some kind of issue...

Is it because the map tiles are out of date?
Yes. One of the Waze staff fixed a parking lot road in Orange CA that was most likely Orange, Other before last week. There's a city named Orange in NJ, too, which is probably where the smudge ends.

Although I was assured that all the segments with the "Other" state in the US were gone, maybe they missed a few. And if that's the case, maybe it's still possible to create new segments with the wrong state. A user would have to do it deliberately in most places, it seems, but perhaps that's the default where smudges exist.

I'll pass along a request to remove "Other" from the "state" drop-down in the US. Surprised it hasn't been already. With any luck it will make the top 1000 on their to-do list.
I can verify that they have not been cleared from Pennsylvania, as I am finding about 10 a day.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
I think the "other" road that I am finding are newly paved roads that have never had location data changed. They don't have the same "character" as base-mapped roads. I'll try to remember to note creation date next time I hit one.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jshambl
Seen it in Nashville area also. Turn on the "Cities" layer, and hopefully the shading will help you track it down. I don't have access to your area, but if you're still stuck, try posting a permalink so others can see the exact location where you're having a problem
jshambl
Send a message

Post by mapcat
If you're having problems finding the segments, look for red roads. The problem likely came up when "Orange, Other" was smudged between the Orange, CA area and Orange, OH (I think), and new roads added but not edited automatically got saved with that city.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
Smudges *shouldn't* be happening anymore because almost all the segments in the US with "other" in the state field have been corrected. This is probably something old.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
troyv wrote:I am seeing some kind of issue...

Is it because the map tiles are out of date?
Yes. One of the Waze staff fixed a parking lot road in Orange CA that was most likely Orange, Other before last week. There's a city named Orange in NJ, too, which is probably where the smudge ends.

Although I was assured that all the segments with the "Other" state in the US were gone, maybe they missed a few. And if that's the case, maybe it's still possible to create new segments with the wrong state. A user would have to do it deliberately in most places, it seems, but perhaps that's the default where smudges exist.

I'll pass along a request to remove "Other" from the "state" drop-down in the US. Surprised it hasn't been already. With any luck it will make the top 1000 on their to-do list.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
jondrush wrote: I can verify that they have not been cleared from Pennsylvania, as I am finding about 10 a day.
Oh, that's awesome. More lies from management.

I asked them for a list of all the "Other" segments in the US in January. They copied it from the database and sent it to me...it's on a different computer, but I recall it had thousands of entries. After examining it for a few days it dawned on me that all basemapped segments were given IDs in alphabetical order by state, so I determined the cutoffs for each state and sent them a corrected list. They could have fixed the problem the next day. "We'll give it to IGN to work on," they said, which made me happy since IGN would be less likely to destroy maps for a few days. Last week a Waze employee who shall remain nameless emailed me and said "All fixed!" It took me half an hour to find three that were missed...the employee assured me that those were a very rare oversight.

Oh, and they're supposed to have Portola Valley fixed now too. Same process. Took me less than a day....it's taken them I don't know how many weeks.

So, now that everything appears to be back to normal, I will return to my usual habit of doubting anything posted here by a red name.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
No, I meant "supposed to have" in the sense that they've had everything they need to be ABLE to fix them for several weeks. Except a damn, to give.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
bgodette wrote: while arguing about plumbing.
I see what you did there.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
jondrush wrote:I think the "other" road that I am finding are newly paved roads that have never had location data changed. They don't have the same "character" as base-mapped roads. I'll try to remember to note creation date next time I hit one.
These have to be very new, since all of the non-basemapped roads on the list Waze sent me I fixed myself. Maybe the list they sent me was incomplete.
gettingthere wrote:I can also confirm that the 'Portola Valley' smudge is not fixed. I am seeing these segments daily.

How difficult is it to clear the city names of these segments in the database?
A little trickier than you might think, since you need to make sure every segment is in the right state. Segments in Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, and maybe another state all listed California as the state, except for 3 in Nevada that an IGN had changed to Portola Valley, Nevada.

I'm waiting to get official word that they're fixed so I can re-correct the small number of segments actually in the community of Portola Valley. Those probably are the only ones they've edited so far.
mapcat
Send a message