Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Unable to find segments causing multiple states in dropdown?

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This is a heads-up to editors in the US, but there may be implications related to country as well.

When updating the state field for segments, new or old, we will often find, even in areas not near state borders, that there are multiple states in the drop-down. The most notorious is 'Alabama' because it is the first state alphabetically and seems to have gotten into many states. Recently, I found that even though I fixed all the segments with the wrong state in a particular area, that I still shows Michigan and Alabama in the state menu. So, I sent it to support.

What they responded with surprised me at first, but it also makes a lot of sense. The incorrect state was associated with segment alt-names. In WME, there is no way for us to edit these out to fix it, and for that matter, it is impossible for us to find them once the primary name has been associated with the correct state. You will need to send this to support for now.

I'm not sure exactly how the alt names got associated with the wrong state in the first place. This might be something left over from Cartouche, or the mixing of Cartouche and WME editing.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
WeeeZer14 wrote:Wow that is surprising. I don't think that functionality/ability was ever obvious in Cartouche.
You're right, it's not. But, even today, if you add an alt name street which doesn't yet exist for the city/state you select, it will prompt you for confirmation. This adds this data to the Street table. The Street table is where the segments get their information from. Streets are defined by name, city, state, country.
gettingthere wrote:Great, yet another bug we need to keep in mind...
I wouldn't classify this as a bug exactly. Perhaps the bug is with Cartouche, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by gettingthere
Great, yet another bug we need to keep in mind...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I wouldn't classify this as a bug exactly. Perhaps the bug is with Cartouche, though.
Well it's certainly a data error. And since we can't edit it or fix it, we could consider it a bug. At minimum it's a limitation in WME that needs to be fixed.

How long does it take to get alternative names as editable in WME? > 9 months since Papyrus/WME was released. Sure, it's not the most critical feature that is missing from WME...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by WeeeZer14
Wow that is surprising. I don't think that functionality/ability was ever obvious in Cartouche.

BUT, that ability does make sense for limited situations such as where a road is the border between states.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by wine4sure
Interesting. I've gone through every street in my village but still the wrong name comes up in the drop-down list. I wonder if it's an ALT name issue or I've just missed a segment somewhere. Would be nice to get some kind of linear printout or something.
wine4sure
Send a message