The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

User reports turn not allowed but turn is not allowed

Post by wine4sure
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&l ... =148872342

User reports that right turn from Marlborough Road onto the A4178 is not allowed but the map shows that it is not allowed. The update date for the segment is 29 Jan so this should be what the user is seeing in the live map.

So what's wrong? Have I misunderstood something? Will Waze route you through restricted turns?
wine4sure

POSTER_ID:6150364

Send a message

Post by wine4sure
bgodette wrote: Permalink to Waze's map. Quick look shows it's currently broken from various segments not being connected.
Yes, there's lots wrong with it. A few thousand miles outside my editable area :)
wine4sure
Send a message

Post by wine4sure
bgodette wrote: Permalink please?
I don't think Waze covers Trinidad yet. Couldn't find it, anyway. It's the junction of Cipero / Sololmon Hochoy / South Trunk / Union Hall / San Fernando Siperia Erin. You can't exit onto Solomon from certain directions. http://binged.it/IM1lQl
wine4sure
Send a message

Post by wine4sure
There's one junction in Trinidad with several entry roads, but as I discovered one day after driving round it several times, restricted exits. Basically if you enter from road A you can leave via road B, but if you enter from road B in the reverse direction, you cannot leave via road A - unless you take a (legitimate) right turn into a parking lot, then turn round in the parking lot, and then turn left out of the lot. You can't do a U there (there physically isn't room, apart from anything else).

It's not a question of restricted turns, it's just physically impossible to get from B to A any other way.

Not sure how Waze would cope with this scenario :D
wine4sure
Send a message

Post by R4CLucky14
wine4sure wrote:Will Waze route you through restricted turns?
Simple answer: Yes. Waze uses a penalty system to determine the best route (which cookie munching setting would reduce - which is why that needed to go). So, the next best alternative had more penalty than routing through that turn.

I believe Waze is suppose to change this so that editor-locked-restricted turns can not be routed vs. a huge penalty.

EDIT: It wouldn't hurt to check alternative routes to see if there is incorrect map data there - such as a false restricted turn. That would help solve the problem.
R4CLucky14
Send a message
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.

Post by phantomblack
I got a response from support on the turn restriction violation problem I was having. I sent them the first example in my prior post.

"Thank you for your email,
We fixed the problem, it should work now."

Unfortunately, the short response doesn't indicate if they fixed the problem at large or just the instance I sent them.
phantomblack
Send a message
Wisconsin-based US Country Manager

Post by phantomblack
I know of two instances of this problem in my home town, and nothing I have done in the editor has fixed them. I don't know why waze will route through the restricted turn even when there are valid alternatives. The funny thing is when testing the same intersection Waze will obey the restrictions coming from one direction but not the other. Here are a couple of permalinks if your interested.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=56374727

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=63436838

I have submitted one of these to support and they are looking into it.
phantomblack
Send a message
Wisconsin-based US Country Manager