People are still using satellite images to do their edits

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: People are still using satellite images to do their edit

Postby invented » Thu May 10, 2012 4:35 pm

EECGeek wrote:
invented wrote:I was up in Ottawa last month, and attempted to use Waze to get me along the 417 from Nepean to the RA Centre, and nearly cried when the exit ramp was called like "417 Ic Bronson 593 29 S" or some mishmash that made no sense. I see you've cleared that disaster up.

Well the whole city was like that, but I hope I have fixed some of that up, I'm still a newbie, but I'm learning.

Joe is still undoing my edits, even though I think I'm doing them by the wiki, I tried PMing him, but no answer??????

Greg

Send a complaint to Waze directly
invented

Postby invented » Thu May 10, 2012 3:37 am

EECGeek wrote:
joe01romano wrote:I do agree with you. This practice should not be tolerated. I have done over 1000 edits and over 15 major edits to intersections where the road layouts have changed due to construction. But unfortunately here in Ottawa,Ontario,Canada, we have an area manager that doesn't take the te to verify if the changeable are valid. He will delete my changes and redo the road to match the aireal image. I don't know how these guys can call themselves area managers or even given the right to do edits when we do the leg work in doing the right edits and they come and screw it all up.

Well Joe:

Perhaps it is because you are not following the proper techniques at some times, one example is just because the road is split doesn't mean you split it on waze and your not supposed to use ramps at these intersections. I do try to take the time to verify, but we have to get the city in reasonable shape and then do all the minor fixes and verifying of stuff later.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE YOU TO STOP BASHING ME on these forums, you don't know me and frankly you are not following all the proper editing principles. I actually read the WIKI. I'm a newbie at this waze thing, but I've been driving in Ottawa for 27 years and am very familiar with Ottawa.

I was up in Ottawa last month, and attempted to use Waze to get me along the 417 from Nepean to the RA Centre, and nearly cried when the exit ramp was called like "417 Ic Bronson 593 29 S" or some mishmash that made no sense. I see you've cleared that disaster up.
invented

Postby invented » Sat May 05, 2012 10:00 pm

joe01romano wrote:I do agree with you. This practice should not be tolerated. I have done over 1000 edits and over 15 major edits to intersections where the road layouts have changed due to construction. But unfortunately here in Ottawa,Ontario,Canada, we have an area manager that doesn't take the te to verify if the changeable are valid. He will delete my changes and redo the road to match the aireal image. I don't know how these guys can call themselves area managers or even given the right to do edits when we do the leg work in doing the right edits and they come and screw it all up.

There's a guy in the GTA that does the same, like he owns the roads or something.
invented

Postby invented » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:25 pm

llayden wrote:A little over a year later this is what Dublin looks like
https://world.waze.com/editor/zoom=0&la ... FFTFTTTTFT

404 - Not Found

Fitting.
invented

Postby invented » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:37 am

I find the Bing images to be helpful, but they're pretty outdated. Often the base map geometry sucks and it can help to snap roads and create gentle curves, etc. However, if one does not have an intricate knowledge of the area (like I do of mine), inexperienced users will draw back in realigned roads and things. :(
invented

Postby EECGeek » Thu May 10, 2012 11:33 am

invented wrote:I was up in Ottawa last month, and attempted to use Waze to get me along the 417 from Nepean to the RA Centre, and nearly cried when the exit ramp was called like "417 Ic Bronson 593 29 S" or some mishmash that made no sense. I see you've cleared that disaster up.

Well the whole city was like that, but I hope I have fixed some of that up, I'm still a newbie, but I'm learning.

Joe is still undoing my edits, even though I think I'm doing them by the wiki, I tried PMing him, but no answer??????

Greg
Waze Local Champs
Province Manager: Ontario Area Manager: Ottawa/Gatineau
Phone: iPhone SE iOS 10.1 on the Bell Network
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
EECGeek
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby EECGeek » Wed May 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Well Joe:

Perhaps it is because you are not following the proper techniques at some times, one example is just because the road is split doesn't mean you split it on waze and your not supposed to use ramps at these intersections. I do try to take the time to verify, but we have to get the city in reasonable shape and then do all the minor fixes and verifying of stuff later.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE YOU TO STOP BASHING ME on these forums, you don't know me and frankly you are not following all the proper editing principles. I actually read the WIKI. I'm a newbie at this waze thing, but I've been driving in Ottawa for 27 years and am very familiar with Ottawa.
Waze Local Champs
EECGeek
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby EECGeek » Wed May 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Well Joe: I am not going to start a p#$%ing match, however:

First: if you have an issue with some of my edits, please PM me and we can discuss any issue.

Second: the reason I undid some of your edits (which you undid of mine), is because you are not following the Wiki and using proper editing techniques, like splitting up streets and using ramps on streets and primary streets, and proper naming of streets, I could go on and on. I find the KISS principle works best and will keep the waze servers with the least amount of work with less segments and proper naming.

Third: I couldn't navigate anywhere in this city, without the improper routes being displayed. With the month or so I have been doing editing, the city is in the best shape it's ever been in and you should be able to get close to any place with minimal errors.

There is a lot of work yet to be done, I look forward to working with you and other fellow Ottawa area Wazers to make this the best GPS tool there is.

Maybe we should start a To Do list with our fellow Ottawa Wazers.

Greg
Waze Local Champs
EECGeek
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Tue May 08, 2012 1:48 pm

ok, let's not go off on a tangent from a tangent. Arguing and name-calling aside let's identify the issues and see where we as a community might be able to help, if there are any known issues or weaknesses at the moment and if there are issues we need to raise to support for their input.

Can you provide a permalink and description of an area or route that is causing a particular problem? Apologies if you have before but it's not always easy to trawl through previous posts, particularly on the phone.
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Tue May 08, 2012 9:29 am

Apologists, fanboys and inept are all words that I would take offence to and I'm sure the waze staff would too.

If anyone blindly dismisses your reasoned logic then just ignore them too. I assure you I would not. I've been well known to have rants of my own on here, on twitter and in person.

We all want to see more from waze and the best way is to get involved constructively. I've seen many discussions like this one result in someone giving up completely. I've also seen just as many get involved and become waze champions in their area.

Personally I'm feeling a little disillusioned with waze at the moment as I have done before. But having put (considerable) time and effort in I'm persevering at the moment. I believe my current experience with waze is better than what you are experiencing and that is partly down to that effort. Do I get as much as I want from waze? No, not yet. Can I rely on it for navigation in areas I've overseen? Pretty much. Outside those areas I'm skeptical for sure but with our active and growing community those areas are shrinking all the time.

I'm in this for the long term and can envision a very useful, and dominant, product. That doesn't happen overnight though and unfortunately the current marketplace seems to demand instant satisfaction. Personally I love being part of the rise of Waze!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status
dmcconachie

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor