The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by kudu12323
DallasGrant wrote:The good thing about reporting cameras in the Waze app is that an editor then has to approve them now before they show up on the map itself.
And thank goodness for that. I find dozens a day in the Houston area by almost always level 1's who many times set up several of them as they go down the street. I have seen instances of them setting up a speed, red light and dummy at the same location simultaneously.

Texas does not allow speed cameras anyplace in the state and Houston (and other cities) don't allow red light cameras either. The Texas wiki is very clear on this but I guess these new guys push buttons and ask questions later.
kudu12323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by niteowlny
We have both permanent and Mobile school speed zone cameras popping up around here. The thing is, the mobile may or may not be there and they are only active from 7 am to 6 pm. I got nailed by one of the mobile units in a poorly marked school zone that I assumed was 30, but it was 20, you couldn't see the sign.

Adding Speed zones, like schools might be a good thing.
niteowlny
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
Yeah, if the camera is mobile/relocatable then its best reported as a police speed trap.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
taco909 wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:Yeah, if the camera is mobile/relocatable then its best reported as a police speed trap.
Except those only hang around for a couple of hours.
We would need something in between, like the logic of potholes that stick for 72-96 hours.
Perhaps a police trap that sticks until it is flagged "not there"?
Well, thats how police are supposed to work. As I remember each thumb^ adds another 15min onto the default time, and not-there removes 15mins from the standing time. The questions is how long do you want the starting time?
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by ragtopjr
I have also attempted to add 2 speed cameras, as well as 1 red light camera, and do not see it to be able to verify it, sadly my city is pretty slow to start using waze, and rarely do I see anyone on the map when I am on.

The cameras which I have added are without a doubt speed and red light cameras
ragtopjr
Send a message

Post by ragtopjr
Yes, I have the Speed cameras layer checked off.
ragtopjr
Send a message

Post by RoadKingClassic
Maryland has been employing un-manned vehicles that monitor speed and issue $40 citations to vehicle owners for the past few years. These vehicles are often parked in front of schools and operate 24/7, not just during school hours. They are also used in construction zones even when there is no active construction.
The passenger seat is replaced with the radar/camera apparatus and the left front fog light is a strobe used to cite drivers at night (obviously after school hours). See photo of a typical vehicle above with radar/cam in seat and strobe on bumper).
They are often parked for weeks at a time then moved to another location. Waze users would benefit from the ability to identify the new locations of these mobile speed trap cameras to alert drivers to their presence, just as they do with police activity. They should be able to be added and removed by users with the "not there" feature as they are not permanent.
RoadKingClassic
Send a message
Attachments

Post by RoadKingClassic
CBenson wrote:
RoadKingClassic wrote:These vehicles are often parked in front of schools and operate 24/7, not just during school hours.
Are you sure?
Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-809(b)(1)(viii) wrote:A speed monitoring system in a school zone may operate only Monday through Friday between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
This vehicle is parked in front of an elementary school which dismisses the last classes around 3PM. Even the faculty are generally gone before 5 and it is totally dark in winter at that time. These things operate in the dark even when no children are present (like 7:59 PM).

The question here is: why can't users update the location of these vehicles just like they can report other police activity in real-time?
RoadKingClassic
Send a message

Post by rotus8
And, be really sure what you see is really a red light camera. There are a lot of gadgets around signals that are easy to think they are enforcement cameras, but they are not. Most communities publish lists of where the camera are; search for them.
rotus8
Send a message

Post by rotus8
DallasGrant wrote:I personally think the warning system for these cameras are annoying as it will warn you every time you pass by the road and reporting that it is not there will not stop the warning until the next update (3-8 weeks on average).
I don't think reporting "not there" does anything at all...
rotus8
Send a message