The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

The map thinks I'm in the wrong state

Post by
OK, I'm in South Carolina. I am roughly 100 miles away from the nearest state line, but for some reason Waze thinks I'm in Georgia.

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... FFFFFFTTTT

See in the upper-right? It says Georgia.

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... 1=43818244

See that little tiny branch running off Stevens Creek Rd in the middle? Click on it and check the details; it says Georgia.

Anytime I make a new road, the default state is GEORGIA! And I repeat, I am nowhere, in any way, shape, or form, close to Georgia at all. It's actually faster for me to get to North Carolina than Georgia.

Any idea what causes this and how it can be fixed?

POSTER_ID:6339274

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There are likely some segments set with Georgia incorrectly which will cause Waze to suggest that as a possibility. If not, and I've run into this, there's nothing you can do about it. I would strongly suggest you not use the old map editor.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thanos6 wrote:Also, I'm an idiot, and didn't see the New Editor's Permalink button until just a minute ago. :oops:
You should check out the manual, Map Editing link in my sig. It's got lots of good stuff.
Thanos6 wrote:Is there any kind of automated way I can find any nearby segments set as Georgia? If not, would I just have to comb through every entry one by one and change all the wrong ones?
There is a community tool (extension) which can give you a segment list. Search the wiki. I don't like to advertise it due to the ... power ... the tool can wield.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bgodette
skbun wrote:This is a pretty messed up bug, folks. I can tell you how to reproduce it, too. Watch this. (You'll have to have permissions for the area, but I can see what's happening.)
Common, and not a bug. It just means there's a segment "near" that's set to the wrong state and the default will be whichever is alphabetically first.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
skbun wrote:See, this is the thing. What does 'near' mean? In the Federal Way example I gave, Alabama as a default only extends for possibly a quarter mile in any direction (before it snaps back to Washington), and I checked at least a couple miles in either direction and found no Alabama at all. It's more local than that.
It also doesn't clear up immediately after the last erroneous segment is updated. It seems to clear up whenever the process that updates the city layer is run, which hasn't for more than a month now.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
skbun wrote:
skbun wrote: Interesting! In that case, we'll see if a map tile refresh solves this problem. If the answer is 'yes', well, then cleaning problem areas up combined with more frequent map updates will eventually work in the right direction.
Well, the NA map tile process has run, and I still see the same problem as per my post, http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 97#p200463 .

So, it would seem, the next logical thing to wait for would be WME being put on the new infrastructure, to see if that fixes it?
That was map tiles, not city layer, they're different things just like the GPS layer.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
At least your still in the USA. I get Canada around Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
I've also seen this in Nebraska. I've created edited roads that were well into the eastern edge of Nebraska and were listed as "Iowa" and I've also while creating a new road seen the option to list the road in either Nebraska or Iowa. Both of these are states that I've edited in, so I don't know if that's where this is coming from, but considering how well nearby cities and road names populate when using the editor it seemed a bit surprising.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by CBenson
In that area, you can also do this:
FederalWay.jpg
(80.28 KiB) Downloaded 1959 times
I don't know if this means anything or not.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I'm not so sure. I was taking at face value the statement:
skbun wrote:I've already checked this entire area with the WME Extended Tools, and determined that there is NOTHING in this entire area that has a state of 'Alabama'.
Plus, today I'm seeing a bunch more defaults to Alabama than I have in quite a while. I'd be surprised if this is all due to new nearby "Alabama" streets. I suspect a bug. But not one that is anywhere near the top of the priority list.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by HavanaDay
I am down in SC pretty frequently and can tell you that it is a mess when it comes to unnammed roads down there due to the base import. Unnamed roads in SC near NC will have the state tag of North Carolina. Unnamed roads near Georgia will have state Georgia, and I believe even roads near Tennessee will have unnamed roads as Tennessee as the state. I kinda of laugh because it was like the didn't want the state of South Carolina to even exist when they did the base import.

One good or not so good thing is if you edit a road with the erroneous state tag it does a pretty good job of flagging the error as created to far from the state. Except of course when you are actually near the borders of these states. Also, another thing I have come across is some user created roads and edits with erroneous states on them that were created before the error checking was instituted into WME. Generally speaking though most mislabeled roads are no named roads in the state.

BTW, you do know there is only one Carolina, correct? :lol:
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message