The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Someone nuked a whole village

Post by fvwazing
I have seen single roads deleted, but I never saw anything like this. How can we protect the map from such actions?
Nuked.jpg
Nuked!
(42.75 KiB) Downloaded 958 times
fvwazing

POSTER_ID:43452

Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by floppyrod84
Yeah this happened to me in Ramsgate, not sure if it was deliberate or not, but it's bloody stupid either way! Name and shame them publicly :-P

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Yeah I noticed a few twats messing Kent up! Seriously annoying.
I've seen your name on a few roads, I trust you've read and are following the wiki?
Oops, on reading that back it sounds like I'm aiming that at you. I'm not. :-)

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Yes Mr Knight, you had better :-P

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Either way, these people should be reading the wiki. There is no excuse for bad editing now. All it takes is an hour or so reading through it. If there are any questions, then a reread of the Editing Conventions would give the answers. Unfortunately, we know that isn't the case. Shame really, as many of these problems could be resolved easily if people just read and used a bit of common sense.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Clicking roundabout, fair enough, but dragging it out and then clicking Save is pretty bloody stupid.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
An even quicker way to kill off the map. Could be a malicious attack by a company. Who knows? More than likely to just be pure stupidity.
I still think that new Area Managers should be vetted by local Megawazers. This should not be happening with normal editors with the new level system though. I was under the impression that if roads are well driven that new editors couldn't do anything to them.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Yeah I've done that on my local area since I wasn't sure about the new level system, just as well! Only the motorways though, don't want to put new editors off completely ;-)

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
haha!
No seriously though, SQL is rollback-able IF users edits are stored in changesets like OSM. I can't understand why they haven't implemented something similar. It would solve most, if not all our problems.
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
It is a giant roundabout. Roundabouts eat everything in them when they are created and that was in this case the whole village. For a quick repair I deleted a part of the roundabout and connected the major highway; I left two segments of the roundabout untouched for shaming the editor... but I am not yet sure if this was deliberate or just very very clumsy.

As for backups and restores: this is not live yet, happened over the past days. I will ask support to restore the area later today, no idea if they can.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1