The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Shaigan
+1

Disapointed too:cry:

--
via Samsung Galaxy S avec Tapatalk
Shaigan
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
[ Shaigan & Cie | Facebook | Twitter ]
[ France Country Manager (Lv5) | Waze Android sur Google Pixel 6 ]

Post by thefatveganchef
What is really fun is that they pushed their updated website the same day and it is buggy too. You would have thought they would have pushed it out a week prior to allow the bugs to be worked through so it works when the new users come to it. Buggy client, buggy maps, buggy website, they need to add wings and antennas to the little Waze guy.
thefatveganchef
Send a message

Post by tibble
HavanaDay wrote:Why can’t toll roads be in the editor so we can start getting these mapped out.
In the past it has been said that there will be zero DB changes until the infra stuff is fixed. I assume this means they were switching to a more distributed DB to get around their lock issue to help with load balancing(complete guess). Adding a toll road attribute to the segments would necessitate a DB change. The shields are presumably there already but probably not in the way they ultimately want it when it's added to the editor, so same boat.

Hopefully the freeze will only be for a week or two. I think they should have staggered releases or made sure the infrastructure was ready for this spike, but since they didn't this is the best they can do right now. For two weeks i think making sure there's no routing timeouts is more important than map updates :/
tibble
Send a message
Area Manager: South Eastern PA, USA
Waze Beta 3.7.2.993 - iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png

Post by tibble
HavanaDay wrote:Two week's I would probably consider a time frame I can live with. But we have all been through those multiple weeks and months time frame as well.
Yeah, i certainly don't want to get back to once every 45 days map updates :/
tibble
Send a message

Post by tibble
xteejx wrote:You're all kinda missing the point. Why is the tile and drive processing done on the same servers as the realtime stuff like routing? Anyone with a brain would know they are 2 separate things and should never touch.
2 copies of the sql database, 1 on each server zsyncing with each other, well live to static anyway. Realtime stuff carries on while the processing of drives and tiles is done on the db snapshot machine, thereby eliminating processing and memory load completely.
Basically, these things should be on separate servers, free to run simultaneously. It's really not that difficult to setup zsync on a cron job, or even to start it manually after last build.
The fact that the process has been stopped is the indication that currently, everything is ran together on the same server. What the hell?!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
You may be missing the fact that the speeds gathered from all the users are saved to the db 24/7.
This means once the snapshot db is updated with new tiles they'd then have to merge the changes from the 'production' DB.
Either way, this is the kind of thing they probably meant with the infrastructure changes they are making. Hopefully they aren't done, because the improvements so far haven't been as major as what they were hinting at.
tibble
Send a message

Post by tibble
bgodette wrote:Yes and no. The realtime segment speed (traffic layer) is part of Live, however historical data is part of the edit database and comes from drive analysis. You can see this for yourself on any newly created segment, it will start to collect average speed data from every drive across it without being part of the Live/Routing map. So basically xteejx is still right, there's no logical reason for them to be tied together, they shouldn't even be on the same database server or datastore.
So are we assuming that historical data only updates during a tile process? or does the routing server talk to the 'edit database' to get historical information? If the latter than the ability to get historical data, and thus the routing server to perform it's duty, would be impacted during a tile rebuild. If the former, then the delays in tile processing impact historical gathering which would be a shame :(
tibble
Send a message

Post by tibble
xteejx wrote:We're not assuming, we know that. It's been confirmed by Waze.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
Which is the 'it' 'we' know?
tibble
Send a message

Post by TonyG-UK
xteejx wrote:You're all kinda missing the point. Why is the tile and drive processing done on the same servers as the realtime stuff like routing? Anyone with a brain would know they are 2 separate things and should never touch.
The fact that the process has been stopped is the indication that currently, everything is ran together on the same server. What the hell?!
That's an assumption on your part, and may well not be correct. For example, it may well be that Waze have bought N-units of resourcing from Amazon, and then Waze choose how to use these resources. They can decide to use it all for Live stuff, or a mix of Live and Backend stuff.

It doesn't necessarily mean they run on the same servers - just that they are competing for resources - what those resources are you are guessing.
TonyG-UK
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK

Post by TonyG-UK
xteejx wrote:Either way, my point is very valid. If they were separate things it wouldn't happen. No need for assumptions, it's either separate servers or separate clusters. Both have memory and processing requirements that are pretty damn high. Should be able to run both concurrently is my point.
And my point was that they probably can run both concurrently - now. They just don't want to spend the extra money to buy more resource from Amazon. I.e. it's not a technical issue, it's a financial one.
TonyG-UK
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK