Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

More evidence Map Problems use OLD GPS DATA

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Despite Waze employees repeatedly assuring us that Map Problems algorithms use the latest GPS data which we cannot even see on the GPS layer, here's more proof that this is a load of crap.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

The three new map problems here are totally bogus. The T-intersection was replaced by a roundabout as shown in the editor three weeks ago. I have drives proving this to be true. Yet the Map Problems, which just appeared today (I cleaned all problems around this area yesterday), show old GPS traces where there simply is no road any longer. It's been removed. No one has driven along these "latest drives" in over three weeks. Why did these just appear now?

Here's a screenshot of a drive I took back on June 12 through the new roundabout as more "proof" for Waze to fix the damn Map Problems algorithms:
Screen Shot 2012-06-27 at 9.48.10 AM.png
(421.35 KiB) Downloaded 1523 times
And compare to the "Latest Drives" garbage:
Screen Shot 2012-06-27 at 9.50.10 AM.png
(377.45 KiB) Downloaded 1521 times
I sent a pissed-off message to support.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
:x I didn't realize that there was any question at this point that the GPS data used to generate map problems is old. The last I had heard the explanation was they needed to use old GPS data to make sure they generated all the relevant map problems. I will attest that examples like you posted happen quite frequently.

It is also a problem that the GPS layer is not updating. When you are trying to keep up with road changes in a construction zone it would be so much easier if you had up to date GPS tracks to rely on.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I'm not up to 9 out 10. The map problems still identify many erroneous turn restrictions around here. But the majority are either bogus or irrelevant.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
gettingthere wrote:
mapcat wrote:9 out of 10 map problems are bogus. Just get rid of the damn thing!
Let me clarify:

Get rid of the missing road map problems. 9 our of 10 are bogus.
Alright. That's hard to argue against.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Ditto, yesterday I got an UR saying an intersection was now a roundabout, went and looked and no roundabout at that intersection, not even in the GPS tracks. Did some research and found out that yes the city did just build a round-about there. And it opened a couple weeks ago. So I go back into the editor, turn on the gps layer again to help me align the new circle, and no tracks at all that would indicate a roundabout.

So I guesstimated and will hopefully remember to check again in a couple months to refine it. And this thread tells me I can expect Map Problem reports for months to come on this intersection.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
True, I run across enough legitimate ones that I'm not ready to phase them out entirely, but (and I'm not a coder so I don't know how difficult this would be) it would be nice if they could at least program to recognize the typical loop of a car going through a gas station or bank/restaurant drive through. That would eliminate a large percentage of the bogus ones.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by floppyrod84
Yeah I have that here near Manston Airport. There were building changes resulting in a new road layout. Still no gps tracks and it's been built for oohh about 5 months or so. I have driven through the new roads myself several times, like months ago, so this affects us too.
I rarely see map problems these days but would like to keep it as is, we're quite a bit behind map wise.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
mapcat wrote:9 out of 10 map problems are bogus. Just get rid of the damn thing!
Let me clarify:

Get rid of the missing road map problems. 9 our of 10 are bogus.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Below is the announcement that AlanOfTheBerg is referring to - posted on March 18, 2012. I agree that the GPS Point Layer updating IS NOT WORKING. Recently I have seen Map Problems generated from GPS tracks data that were from April 2012.

So we need to let Shirli know that we are encountering issues! But surely they will say this is due to the influx of Waze 3.2 users even though we know that this HAS NEVER BEEN WORKING PROPERLY since WME was released.

Also, I am also wondering why we need data from the last 6 months. I agree with jasonh300 that there should be a few weeks old data at most. And if the missing road map problems must stay (please get rid of them!) they should only be considering the most recent GPS point data.

http://status.waze.com/gps-points-layer ... tor-both-n

"GPS POINTS LAYER IN THE NEW MAP EDITOR (BOTH NA AND INTL)

Some good news -

The GPS layer is now updating on a regular basis on both INTL and NA map editors.

The layer is updating every few days (usually cycles of 1 week or less).

The GPS layer is supposed to include GPS points from the last 6 months.

PLEASE NOTE that in some areas we filter the GPS points and we do not necessarily display all of them. It happens mostly in busy areas.

Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Thanks!

Shirli"
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
To complete AlanOfTheBerg's screen shots of his example, proof that the GPS points layer is showing old data (in addition to the Map Problem Layer).

How in the heck can we update the Waze map, while only reference data that is in available in WME (vs. other sources of more up to date aerials), when we cannot rely on the GPS Points layer?
GPSPoints.JPG
(43.86 KiB) Downloaded 1536 times
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message