How do I display the map all over the U.S. and for Israel?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

How do I display the map all over the U.S. and for Israel?

Postby AlanMW » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:59 pm

I live in Palo Alto CA and downloaded WAZE here. When I set addresses in my area, the map shows fine. When I put in an address for New York City, it doesn't know what to do...sends me to "Kenmore NY" wherever that is. I want to see activity in distant cities (like NY or Boston) and set a few Favorites before I travel. I also want to see the map in Israel and my "version" doesn't work for that. Please help. Thanks.
AlanMW

Re: How do I display the map all over the U.S. and for Israe

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:03 am

If you enter the full address correctly as "<#> street, city, state" then it should have no trouble. Notice that there are several search results providers. Try a different one if the default isn't working out. Note that you cannot set a route to there due to distance, but you can add a favorite.

See the servers information which explains that their are different infrastructures you cannot "see" across. The US border with Mexico is especially problematic.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:49 am

FYI, you will get search results for points of interest across the US, but not addresses. For example, you could search for the white house, or even 1600 pennsylvania ave, washington, dc and you'll get a result hit, but like gettingthere wrote, you won't be able to get navigation until you're within 1000 miles.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:20 am

Waze limits navigation to 1000 miles. So you are not going to search and find addresses in NY from CA. Waze is still focused on commuters and not long distance trips or global travelers.

You can zoom out the map and scroll over to NY and check it out that way. I suggest changing to 2D mode (it scrolls faster) and doing this on WiFi. But you won't be able to search for addresses and save them as favorites. You'll have to wait until you are there to do so or use the push and hold method that AlanOfTheBerg describes.

You can also see what's going on with local conditions from your computer using the Waze Live Map. But beware that Waze isn't paying much attention to Live Map since there are more pressing issues.

http://www.waze.com/livemap

You cannot see anything in Israel from the US. You will need to wait until you are there. Also, I don't know if your USA Waze account will work in Israel. Previously they were totally independent systems. So likely when you fire up Waze in Israel you will need to register for another Waze Israel account. FWIW, supposedly Waze is the best navigation application to use in Israel - it's the home of Waze :D
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Spil » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:08 am

AlanMW wrote:... "Kenmore NY" wherever that is ...

It's a suburb of Buffalo ... and a much better destination than New York City ... Waze is just looking out for your best interests by redirecting you there instead. :lol: :lol:
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Waze Map Editor