The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by dmcconachie
jasonh300 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:We can have names of the format, eg, "Joe Bloggs Street North". If that's split into 2 1-way lanes then you could have Joe Bloggs St N N.

Parenthesis use very little screen estate and nicely separate name from direction.
In the U.S., we don't use cardinals to indicate travel direction on anything but numbered routes and freeways which don't normally have a cardinal direction as part of the name.
Your road network is lot better organised than ours!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
jasonh300 wrote:Are we suggesting that roads other than Major Highways and Freeways are supposed to have cardinal directions in them?
Some of ours do but then the existing breakdown doesn't really suit the UK road system. You guys over the pond get it easy! ;-)
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
gettingthere wrote:Waze should be able to fix this in the TTS without anyone making any changes!
Not just "should be able". Should full stop!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Thanks UK for giving us another invention, said America pmsl ;-)
The space is before, not after, it read wrong to me in Alan's post.
You guys gotta remember that we were using TTS from the moment you did, with a little hacking, and our road systems are very different. I'm all for standardisation sure, but are they compatible?
There are some roads here named like yours, ie Main Street East, here in Waze as Main St E. Most are xxx Road or xxx Street, we only number major routes which leads to:
Our motorways and dual carriageways are where we tend to use the (N) thing, like your freeways, ie M1 (N) or I-7 (S). When you have 2 one way roads, it's needed as I'm sure you're aware. Keeping the direction in brackets keeps it away from the actual road name and pauses pretty nicely as Brian said. No confusion about which road you're on or what way you're going. It looks better, sounds better and is easier.
It took ages fiddling with TTS software and voices for us to come up with it, and if you guys can make use of it too and standardise based on it, brilliant!
If I've missed the point and just talked crap for ages, tell me.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
It works here, and is standardised here at least.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Yeah I'm with CBenson. Standardisation may not be needed IF we get a TTS entry field in WME. Personally I think everyone should sit tight and wait and see what they come up with, maybe bug them to SORT THE DAMN DIRECTIONS OUT! They worked before, but they haven't bothered to copy the (N) as working from US over to UK English, although they worked before with the TTS activation hack way back when.
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
What was the thinking to put them in parentheses?

Whomever has less miles/km of roads to change should be the one who changes :idea:
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
jasonh300 wrote:Are we suggesting that roads other than Major Highways and Freeways are supposed to have cardinal directions in them?
I think we should take it easy with expanding this to other road types. It probably just not needed.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
How does this standard affect ramp naming? Would we use to 'I-5 (N)' instead of to 'I-5 N'? If so, this is going to be a heck of a lot of work to change in the USA.

Waze should be able to fix this in the TTS without anyone making any changes!
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:What I do advocate is that, in as much as makes sense, that many things in Waze be standardized. There is really no reason why we can't use the same cardinal direction format in all countries. The "it would take a long time to change" and "it's not the way it is now" arguments just don't cut it. It would, after all, make things simpler from a client/server TTS perspective. And potentially for other future app coding where it must interpret the cardinal. The few branches in the code, the better.
I understand. But Waze should also be involved in these discussions. They may come back and say it's no big deal and it's not required. It should be a simple as making the TTS work with UK English and their standard and change back the US English TTS to how it was in the recent past. Easy.

Waze is certainly not going to change these names in the DB. So it will be hundreds of thousands or millions of edits in the USA to change a new standard. Yes, we can change the standard and update as we re-work the segments. But what will happen is editors will focus on changing the naming to this new standard and stop adding additional value to the map by editing things that are affecting navigation today.

The other thing that we need to understand is that there is no such thing as a world-wide cardinal direction standard. Countries with other languages are not going to be using N (N), S (S), E (E), W (W). So it has to be regional anyway.

My vote is for NO. We don't need a global standard for cardinal directions.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message