The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How do I submit additional data on a map issue report?

Post by vsings
Recently Waze is sending me on inaccurate drives - even though it clearly shows the destination at the correct location! I tried to submit a map issue and was asked to upload additional info directly from the app.
1. Waze needs to stop doing this. if you are DRIVING you do not need to be messing with the app! This is my main complaint with Waze, it forgets its a DRIVING app and requires far too much distraction/too many clicks.
2. I do not see a way to upload additional info from the app at all. I actually have a screenshot, but there is no way to do anything other than click a radio button to close the report!

There are two drives Waze consistently gets wrong, I would like to report these from my Widows PC, safely, when I am not driving. How do I do this?
3. How do I access the map editor from my PC?

Thank you!
vsings

POSTER_ID:17133359

Send a message

Post by Twister-UK
Were you asked by the app itself at the time of submitting the report, or was this a request you received via email or in-app message after sending the original report? Unless something has changed in how the version 4 apps behave when submitting reports, then the former shouldn't be happening.

What's more likely is that, having submitted your original report, it's then been responded to by one of the army of volunteer map editors like me who actually do all of this work for Waze. We're just ordinary Waze users like you, we aren't employed by Waze to do this, we get no special perks from Waze for doing this (aside from being able to access the editor mood icons in the app...), and perhaps most crucially in helping you to understand the process, we get precious little information provided automatically to us when someone sends in a report.

We get as standard just a pin on the map showing the position of the Wazer at the time they submitted the report. This isn't always the position the Wazer thinks they're reporting an issue at - it doesn't matter which bit of the map you might be looking at in the app when you send in a report, all that matters is the location your phone GPS is providing at the time. So all too often we'll get reports which have clearly been submitted by someone at the start or end of their journey, thinking they were actually reporting an issue at the point on the map they were looking at there and then.

We also get as standard the report type that you select - general issue, turn not allowed etc. If the user has taken the time to select the most appropriate report type then this can help us a bit, but it can still be a bit unclear. If a user has reported a turn not allowed, for example, are they trying to tell us that Waze tried to route them through a turn that isn't permitted, or are they trying to tell us that Waze didn't route them throught a turn that is permitted...

Finally, we get a date and time stamp to show us when the report was submitted.

In some cases, Waze may also provide us with a partial plot of your actual drive and the route Waze was suggesting at the time, but this isn't guaranteed, nor does it always provide us with the specific details we need. Note also that although we may be able to see the partial route track suggested by Waze, we don't get to see the actual routing instructions that were given along the route track.

What we never get given is a complete drive/ route history, information about the destination address you entered into the app, or even who you are...

So if the same user has reported the same problem a bunch of different times, we have no way of knowing all of those reports are from the same user.

Unless, that is, the user takes the time to send in additional details when requested to do so by one of us responding to the report pin appearing with a request for more information please...

Which brings us back to where we started. Hopefully now you understand why you were asked to supply more details. How you actually do this within the app ought to be straightforward - the app has a message inbox which, amongst other things, should have copies of all the comments made by other users on map reports you've submitted. Tapping on one of these comments will allow you to read it, but scrolling down to the bottom of the screen you should also then see space for you you submit a response. This can be done at your leisure, it doesn't have to be done whilst you're driving.

You may also receive an email containing the other user response, which IIRC also includes details on how to respond.

The point is, it's unlikely to be the app itself asking you to supply more details whilst you're driving, it's far more likely to be one of us map editors trying to resolve your issue but being unable to do anything about it unless you can provide us with more details...

It's not a great system, but it's what we have to work with given the privacy concerns Waze have and the consequential serious limitations on how much data we get provided with automatically to help us fix issues. So please, if you are asked for more info from an editor to help resolve a problem, do try and provide it for them - it's often the only way we can fix something instead of having to mark it as not identified and move onto another issue.
Twister-UK
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 2
Send a message
Chris (not to be confused with Chris or Chris, or even Tim, Stu, or any of the other champs team...)
AM SE England & Shetland Islands, UK Local Champ, WME Beta Tester & ScriptMangler
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork

https://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/beta.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/s0400.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/c5s.png

Post by vsings
Recently Waze is sending me on inaccurate drives - even though it clearly shows the destination at the correct location! I tried to submit a map issue and was asked to upload additional info directly from the app.
1. Waze needs to stop doing this. if you are DRIVING you do not need to be messing with the app! This is my main complaint with Waze, it forgets its a DRIVING app and requires far too much distraction/too many clicks.
2. I do not see a way to upload additional info from the app at all. I actually have a screenshot, but there is no way to do anything other than click a radio button to close the report!

There are two drives Waze consistently gets wrong, I would like to report these from my Widows PC, safely, when I am not driving. How do I do this?
3. How do I access the map editor from my PC?

Thank you!
vsings
Send a message

Post by vsings
i figured this out myself - no additional info can be added via the app at least not on my phone. It must be added via PC - https://www.waze.com/editor
vsings
Send a message