The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by shogsbro
adabadada found our first map comment in Philippines.

This seems a great tool to help solicit feedback from new editors, who are not yet in touch with their community, who previously could not action their knowledge because things were locked above their level.

However, in our (limited) testing we don't appear to receive notification of these map comments, whether in the WME filter feed, in the app, or even an email after subscribing to updates.

Could you clarify how notifications will work?
shogsbro
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
CM for Philippines, GCC Countries & Yemen

Post by shogsbro
I have now received an email notifying me of further comments on our test Map Comment, on which I commented and elected to receive notifications, after adabadada (who created the Map Comment) made a follow-up comment.

Adabadada has not received any email notification of my comment.

Would it be possible for map comments to show up in WME filter feed of AMs/CMs automatically, even if not yet commented upon?
shogsbro
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by shogsbro
Ah, that would explain why adabadada did not receive an email notification initially, until she had made a follow-up comment on her original MC.

Agree that it would be great to have attribution of the editor adding commentary, maybe URL linked to their editor profile.
shogsbro
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by subs5
1) Point MCs show at all zoom levels, but Area MCs do not. So unless an area MC is VERY VERY large then you don't see it.
example. Here is a MC at Zoom=8 level.
Here is the same MC at Zoom= 1 level.
For this PL I have moved just to the east of the area MC. There is a point MC to the east and you can easily see it but the area MC is invisible....

2) When someone adds a comment to a MC on the NORTH AMERICAN (NA) server it does not go to the original editor. I see the subscribe to the MC selection but when I tried to comment to one editor to let them know that I had done a Boots On The Ground to check out the area, the editor said that he had not received any notification. Could the follow conversation be checked automatically for the person who entered the MC?

Updated on 1/31/2017 to note that MC notifications appear to be sent on ROW and IL servers but still do not get sent on NA server.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message
Last edited by subs5 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by subs5
I have found several map comments posting problems with the map, so it is now the "default way" for a new editor to try to convey a problem.

Is there a way to have "Map Comments are for long term messages to other editors. Please use a Update Request or a forum post to request a map correction."
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
My experience is that when someone posts a comment on one of my MCs then I get a notification.

Only time you don't is when it is deleted. That would be a nice.

Once there are over 200 map comments in a state, it will be hard to find/sort out the ones in the middle.

Many new editors still use map comments to add parking lots, places, advertisements, Update Requests, etc. It would be useful if the map comment had some sort of a warning that nothing will change on the app's navigation so that new editors would be less likely to inappropriately use them.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by trivia211
Thanks, great feature!
karlcr9911 wrote:They're orange and show at all zoom levels
The MCs I usually see are related to a single segment or junction etc. Is it really necessary to show them at all zoom levels? They can be spamy if you zoom out to have an overview. However they are important when you are viewing the specific location close up.
trivia211
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by TSD66
GeekDriverPeaceful wrote:This will be very useful to note critical/complicated edits on the map and are more notable to new/unfamiliar editors. [...]
It seems the last bigger WME update changed some of the functionality and I'm not sure if this new behavior is a bug or WAD:
The title of a map comment is limited to 30 characters so to explain critical/complicated edits you add the description into the comment field. So far, so good.
But when a comment is locked to a certain editor level (be it to prevent deleting it by editors of a lower level) it seems only editors with that level or above are able to see that longer description, at least as long as there is no additional comment either by the original editor or another?
TSD66
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by turbomkt
Here's a thought... e-mail notification to AMs when a map comment has been added to their area.
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 17
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)

Post by turbomkt
ranttine wrote:FYI: Map comments can be found with UR-MP Tracking
I was not aware. Thanks!
turbomkt