The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Cleaning up map segments

Post by
I know this is probably addressed somewhere but did not see it...

I have been "cleaning up" segments as I go along. For example, one long road may have 4 segments between intersections. I remove 3 of them and stretch the remaining one between the intersections. My thought is that less segments means less routing issues and better efficiency for the program. Is this a good thing to do?

Also, I thought I was able to delete the black squares in the past but now cannot. Am I remembering wrong?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

POSTER_ID:8402228

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Brain Fart's can be helped by referencing the Editing Manual which includes information about deleting junctions, and geometry nodes, and includes the full default keyboard shortcut list. :geek:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The Mac Del key works just fine, too. It's only on the extended keyboards, though. For the smaller keyboards and laptops, use Fn+Delete. That keyboard combo requires two hands, so it's nearly as fast to move the mouse to click on the trash can.

You could always redefine it to be a different, non-combo key.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by HandofMadness
Hover over the black square and hit "d" to delete them.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
To reinforce WeeeZer's post. The "d" button only works on geometry nodes. If you are trying to merge two segments you must select the node connecting the two segments and hit the trash icon.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
Is the "Delete" key only useable on a PC? I have never gotten that to work on the Mac mainly use for editing. Whenever I hit it, I get the leave/stay prompt.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
troyv wrote:
HavanaDay wrote:Is the "Delete" key only useable on a PC? I have never gotten that to work on the Mac mainly use for editing. Whenever I hit it, I get the leave/stay prompt.
I have a solution for that, get a PC :D

j/k! (sorta)
Have one at home but my boss at work is a Mac Guy. Been trying for years to get him to switch over, guess you can't get them to change. :lol:
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The Mac Del key works just fine, too. It's only on the extended keyboards, though. For the smaller keyboards and laptops, use Fn+Delete. That keyboard combo requires two hands, so it's nearly as fast to move the mouse to click on the trash can.

You could always redefine it to be a different, non-combo key.
Thanks didn't think to try that. You are probably right on the efficiency point. I kinda have that select node click trash can movement down pat for removing connecting nodes.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
You need to read it online since it changes on almost a daily basis as we update new behaviors of the software and changes of policy.

I re-read it about once a month, even though I wrote a chunk of it myself. It's always good to refresh things you don't do often, and learn about new info.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
kentsmith9 wrote: LOL. I JUST NOW found this in WME and thought it was a new ability. I have always been selecting the two segments and click the bridge icon. This is SO MUCH faster especially with the FF issue on horizontal roads.
This comes up in the forums every month or so, dating at least back to the point where I discovered that you could delete junctions with the delete key back in November or December of last year, but up to this point, I guess nobody clearly defined it in the Wiki.

Using the Bridge function actually causes problems because every time you use it, the level of the road increases by a step.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
mapcat wrote:Has there been any confirmation that Waze takes levels into consideration for map problems or anything else anymore?
Actually, no...I should've elaborated on that post. Levels are just cosmetic for the client. It doesn't really cause problems unless you have a lot of overpasses, and for the OCD editors who want everything at 0 unless there's something immediately passing over or under it.

There are long stretches of I-59 that are still at level 9 because I did a lot of cleanup on there before I figured out how to delete junctions, but it works fine now. And I'm not going back to fix it at this point because it's working fine.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message