The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Nonexistent turns

Post by roadpeasant
Hi all,

Something of a novice Wazer here—been only doing this for about a week and a half now—but I've been trying to improve the map when I notice problems on my commute.

One thing I've been seeing instances of lately are the turn-by-turn nav telling me to either fork or turn where a road is clearly going straight through. Thing is, when I go to look at these in the map editor, I'm not really clear how or if I can fix it.

Here's an example of an intersection that gives me a "turn right" instruction when heading east. Now this intersection looks a little strange to me on balance... but I'm hesitant to "fix" it when I don't understand why it's built like that to begin with.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

And this guy, which looks much cleaner, still wants me to "stay to the right."

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

Any advice on these?
roadpeasant

POSTER_ID:9247637

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
If you report a Map Issue while you are near the intersection and in navigation mode, the edit map will show both your path (in green) and the Waze provided directions (in purple) and show turn arrows. This wil help identify which junction(s) are causing the problems.

It sounds like there may be some misplaced geometry nodes, but I can look because I'm on my phone...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by jasonh300
Looks like they've both been worked on in the past couple of weeks, so the problem will probably go away with the next tiles update. My guess would be badly executed bowties causing a right turn instruction. The first might've been flattened out a bit and the second was probably eliminated. Give it a week and see what happens.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Bowties are the easiest way to suppress U-turns. It's really the only reason to use them.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by KB_Steveo
There has been some editing done in both those locations since the last live map update. So there is a very good chance that the issues have been fixed in the editor, we are just waiting for Waze to build the new live map tiles.

They're going though some major server changes right now, and the map hasn't been updated since June 14. They are finally dedicating their time to the NA servers, so it should hopefully be fixed by next week. If you would like to check when the last live map update was, it is right below the map on the live map page. Otherwise, check out this forum thread for more information on the server stuff and the hopes of when the live map will be updated.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by roadpeasant
Thanks! I'll sit tight.

In the meantime, I did some more reading on the wiki (the word "bowtie" was a good key), and I've looked at the way crossings were set up in both the old and new editors... it seems like it's possibly easier to deal with these sorts of crossings in the new editor.

Would it make sense to eventually straighten out dual roads like 44th St? Or is there a good reason to keep them bowties?
roadpeasant
Send a message