The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Literally can't do anything (level 1)

Post by GustavsGegeris
Hi everyone who's reading this.

I recently joined the WME and I'm level 1 so when I make a change to something like house location by ~1 meter it warns me that it's pending moderation and also the WME doesn't allow me to save anything :cry: .
How can I level up? How can I edit something?

Please help,
Gustavs
GustavsGegeris

POSTER_ID:17552570

Send a message

Post by AILe85
Bonjour plagoutte_
Tu peux rejoindre la communauté Waze France à cette adresse du forum : viewforum.php?f=34
Bienvenue ! :)
AILe85
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by Berrely
Hi, I'm a level 1 editor and have been editing for two years. I try to edit every day but the problem is, living in central London EVERY road (except the tiny ones that have NO errors) are level 4 locked. I can't even add new places. After editing for this long, I now finally have 100 edits. But when I looked at the needed counter I couldn't believe it, I don't even have 1,000 edits! I know loads of people are going to say for me to drive arround but I have, in fact alltogether I have an area of about 900 miles to edit, but I can't seem to find anywhere to go. :cry: Does anyone know anyway to get to at least level 2 without getting that many edits? :?:
Berrely
Send a message
Last edited by Berrely on Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by carlsonjma
There's no clear way to offer corrections when one's "map level" rating is too low. I can see numerous errors in the speed limit settings on the street where I live. I know precisely where the speed limit signs are -- because I can see them out my front door! I'd like to provide corrections that someone who has sufficient mojo can use.

Unfortunately, there's no clear way to do that. I've added map "comments." I hope that helps, but I doubt that it will, as they're far too unstructured. A "proposed change" would be a better way to handle this, if it could be submitted to the authorities who can make these changes.

On one of the two roads in question (Great Pond Road, North Andover, MA), the level is locked to level 2, so I can't do anything at all. On the other one (Essex Street, North Andover, MA), the level is set to 1, so I could edit -- in theory. But I actually cannot edit it. In order to break up a segment (to set different speed limits on different parts of the road), one must create a temporary road as a kludge to create a new junction, and then delete the temporary road. But as a level 1, I cannot delete the temporary road that I just created. This is very frustrating, as I wasted a lot of time figuring out how to do this, only to find that the system can't accept my changes.

There ought to be at least an errata mechanism for those of us unannointed. I've tried to increase my "level," but, frankly, I find the system far too frustrating and nearly pointless to engage. I'm really unsure at this point whether Waze really does want contributions at all.
carlsonjma
Send a message

Post by carlsonjma
RussPA wrote:Contributions are always welcome from anyone. There are some restriction on new editors, due to the fact that there has been map damage in the past. It's a fine line between protection and restrictions. Regardless, there is a map community on Discord that can help guide you on how to get your changes made. You can find them here: https://goo.gl/forms/X24ENSZ6ANw2sQpV2 which is the NER community, that includes MA. Give that a try, they are some good people who can help.
OK; thanks. I've joined that group and will try there. However, at the app level, I still think there ought to be a more coherent way to deal with contributions from those who aren't yet fully rated. I understand the problems involved with taking information from the general public, but simply locking us out completely by graying out the controls is wrong. It means that many of us will just never bother trying, and the Waze community will lose out on our local knowledge.

That might be significant if you rocket through my neighborhood at the Waze-sanctioned 40MPH, as the local cops are welcome to set up speed traps on my property. ;)
carlsonjma
Send a message

Post by dude495
Welcome to Waze Map Editing. As a Rank 1 editor you are limited on the type of edits you can make for integrity purposes. Once you learn the basics of editing and how to work the interface its actually quite simple to use. I strongly recommend you reach out to your local editing community and guidance and to learn the ropes.

Also as a Rank 1 editor you can only edit within 1 mile of recent drives with the app open (drives expire after 3 months if not driven again). You'll notice many segments locked above rank 1, you can still edit these segments if its necessary by requesting unlocks in the UNLOCK forum or by reaching out to your community's Discord server and working directly with the local community.

Google Maps editing and Waze editing are completely different because well, they themselves are completely different.
dude495
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Dan B - Texas AM - New York SM - Pakistan Coordinator/Local Champ
Waze New York & NYC Social Media
New York Partnerships Coordinator
Pakistan Community Booster
iOS & WME ßeta Tester
Waze USA & Pakistan Mentor

https://i.ibb.co/2KztPb6/forumsig.png

Post by Dunciboy
So I've basic been a member for quite some time an edited the map whenever I find something, but as of how Waze editing is right now as level 1 editor i can't even solve requests and whenever i find something i need to be higher then level 1 and I can't even edit locations, it makes me wonder why i'm even putting time in even trying. Things you report don't even count as edits so for me it's like impossible to even reach a level higher then 1. I'd really like some kind of solution or I doubt I'm going to continue trying to edit things myself, I'm getting slapped in the face with my level limitation all the time.

All i want to do is solve problem when i spot them, if that's to much to ask i doub't I'm gonna continue to report problems. I've been using Waze since i got my driver license which is 2013, I've not been editing for quite some time just because of these level limitations, i'd really like to see some other way to level up then just edits, because i can't even get those at all.
Dunciboy
Send a message

Post by Gugui16
jm6087 wrote:
Machete808 wrote:
GustavsGegeris wrote:Hi everyone who's reading this.

I recently joined the WME and I'm level 1 so when I make a change to something like house location by ~1 meter it warns me that it's pending moderation and also the WME doesn't allow me to save anything :cry: .

Please help,
Gustavs
You also can add segments to the map where needed. Typically this can be a parking lot road, but it could be a regular street, if that's missing from your area's map.
Machete808 is right on track, as is everyone else in the thread. I just want to add, please make sure you are getting with your local editing community before adding missing parking lot roads (PLR) because there are general rules/guidelines we follow when adding PLRs
Hello, I recently joined, but how do you get in touch with your local editing community? I'm from the Montreal Metropolitan Region.

Thank you!
Gugui16
Send a message

Post by helifino206
Place edits will always be pending moderation until a certain number have been approved. This is because place edits can be made from the app by non-editors, so we want to check that they aren't trolls. Getting in contact with fellow editors in your area will certainly help that process along.

WME not saving: usually there's an error message that pops up - however there is a saving bug that occasionally crops up, we all have to deal with it from time to time. Best practice is to save early and often.
helifino206
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jm6087
Machete808 wrote:
GustavsGegeris wrote:Hi everyone who's reading this.

Please help,
Gustavs
You also can add segments to the map where needed. Typically this can be a parking lot road, but it could be a regular street, if that's missing from your area's map.
Machete808 is right on track, as is everyone else in the thread. I just want to add, please make sure you are getting with your local editing community before adding missing parking lot roads (PLR) because there are general rules/guidelines we follow when adding PLRs
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ