New road type - Narrow Street

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: New road type - Narrow Street

Postby advent149 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:15 am

Quick question - is narrow street penalty smaller than PLR?
advent149
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:17 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: New road type alley

Postby AlObaili » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:10 pm

From all the opinions and interpretations, I think this new road type deserves a more detailed explanation from staff, or be subject to special country permission restriction so that local communities can decide to restrict its use to certain editor level depending on it's sensitivity to that country's route calculation.

Anyway, I trust Waze HQ to make the right decisions about this new road type. I think it's a good addition to the road types family and we can only wait and see its (hopefully positive) effects.
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
مـنـســـق مــجـتـمـع ويـز الـسـعــوديـة والــبحـريـن ومـنـســق الـتعــريـب لـمـنـتجـات ويــز
CM for Saudi Arabia & Bahrain & Transifex Coordinator for Arabic
AlObaili
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:04 pm
Location: Saudi Arabia
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: New road type alley (!Renamed to Narrow Street)

Postby AlObaili » Mon May 07, 2018 6:28 pm

I think the editors community trust the champs and coordinators to define what a Narrow Street in Waze world is based on Daliah's explanations.

The Narrow Street type is now the new fundamental concept that we need to put effort to explain clearly so that when a Waze editor hears the word narrow street, this new concept is the first thing that comes in mind, despite what it represents in the real world.

This is still a new concept and we are all Level 1 editors when it comes to why we decide to choose this Narrow Street road type. Only experience will make this concept clearer. I personally am expecting hours of discussion with the local community on the best way to use the Narrow Street road type and I'm thankful for all your efforts in understanding it in this topic.
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
مـنـســـق مــجـتـمـع ويـز الـسـعــوديـة والــبحـريـن ومـنـســق الـتعــريـب لـمـنـتجـات ويــز
CM for Saudi Arabia & Bahrain & Transifex Coordinator for Arabic
AlObaili
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:04 pm
Location: Saudi Arabia
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: New road type - Narrow Street

Postby AlObaili » Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 pm

WazingArch wrote:Can we conlcude that "narrow street" is two-way street that fits only one car i.e. street that is not more tham 3m wide in reality.


A 6 meter wide street that have parallel parking on one side would still be narrow.

Your definition would be more accurate if you say 3 meters wide of driving space.
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
مـنـســـق مــجـتـمـع ويـز الـسـعــوديـة والــبحـريـن ومـنـســق الـتعــريـب لـمـنـتجـات ويــز
CM for Saudi Arabia & Bahrain & Transifex Coordinator for Arabic
AlObaili
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:04 pm
Location: Saudi Arabia
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: New road type - Narrow Street

Postby ApenGslowcuber » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:23 pm

narrow road is good for village and unpave road.
ApenGslowcuber
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:04 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: New road type - Narrow Street

Postby ApenGslowcuber » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:51 am

hi guys,
its okay to use Narrow street in rural or village area? specially small road without arrow.
ApenGslowcuber
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:04 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: New road type alley

Postby APettyJ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:30 pm

It should not be a penalty for all users, just those who would prefer not to use them, much as the "difficult turn" option exists now.

In large urban areas people may be quite used to driving down narrow streets. What's more, outside of the weekly trash pickup and the occasional delivery truck these streets are not typically blocked. If someone wants to avoid a narrow street, they can do so, the same as they can choose to avoid a street blocked by a trash truck now, but we don't default to ALL users having trouble using them.
WME L3: Junior Editor
App Beta Tester Waze v 4.22.1.901
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Android 7.0
Philadelphia, PA, USA
APettyJ
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Frankford/Bridesburg, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: New road type alley

Postby APettyJ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 pm

vince1612 wrote:Like many other things, because we have different countries, infrastructures, laws and regulations, it belongs to local communities to decide how to best make use of this new type considering its specific routing parameters that staff will share in more details later.

About suggesting that Alleys should have a strong penalty, I'm not sure creating a "Private road v2.0" was the original idea by adding it. If a light penalty of 5-10min as announced cannot be put to good use for a community, then they're free to choose not to make use of this type at all and forbid their editors from adding it, but they shouldn't request from staff to "kill" it for the rest of the world who might want it because they dislike it.

Let's not forget this new type appeared following requests from several communities to have such a type, the way it's called doesn't matter, this is not a crazy staff idea, it's a response to a community request. Granted though it should have remained in beta much longer as I already said, but still I don't get why so many "welcome" it only with complaints, fears and doomsday talk so early.


As someone who has been crying out for a way to properly handle this type of roadway, of which my city has many and I do not appreciate not having them included in routing options, here is a BIG THANK YOU for Listening!
WME L3: Junior Editor
App Beta Tester Waze v 4.22.1.901
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Android 7.0
Philadelphia, PA, USA
APettyJ
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Frankford/Bridesburg, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: New road type alley

Postby APettyJ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:32 pm

vince1612 wrote:
APettyJ wrote:In large urban areas people may be quite used to driving down narrow streets. What's more, outside of the weekly trash pickup and the occasional delivery truck these streets are not typically blocked. If someone wants to avoid a narrow street, they can do so, the same as they can choose to avoid a street blocked by a trash truck now, but we don't default to ALL users having trouble using them.

If narrow streets are one-way they can't really be a problem anyway and the average speed should already let routing know what's best to do. Nobody is saying that all real-alleys by definition should be changed from wme-street-type to wme-alley-type.

But again it comes down to local communities deciding their rules and guidelines for themselves. Which should be discussed in local forums preferably as well, otherwise this thread meant to give specifications about the new type will turn into endless pages of disagreements and opposing viewpoints, which isn't constructive.


In my locale it has been decided to make these types of roads into private roads, which in my opinion leads to several different issues, not the least of which is that system features like average speed are not able to be used to get the best route.

I continue to hope for some type of answer to present itself.
WME L3: Junior Editor
App Beta Tester Waze v 4.22.1.901
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Android 7.0
Philadelphia, PA, USA
APettyJ
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Frankford/Bridesburg, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: New road type alley

Postby APettyJ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 am

DwarfLord wrote:This is a big reason public alleys in major US cities are often mapped with massive penalties. It's not because one driver here or there can't beat traffic by taking them. Sometimes they can. It's because if one Wazer gets that route, a few hundred -- or a few thousand! -- might be right behind them. That simply doesn't work for anybody except possibly the first few.


The problem is what is defined as "alley". I've noticed roads have been designated as such simply because there aren't any houses on them, despite them being marked two way, as in with a double yellow, and having a "street" name, such as "Sansom St." On the flip side, I've sat stuck for twenty minutes in downtown gridlock to go around a block, having missed several "alleys", really nice sized streets, because by the time I reached them and am creeping to judge whether they can be driven down I have a blocks worth of traffic on my tail honking at me to go. As an aside, may I add to the suggestion box the need for directional arrows marking one way roadways?

Many wazers won't follow directions down alleys because they don't like to use them. I've had several conversations with such people. But for those of us who do...It would even be nice just to have such streets colored differently in the app, apart from private roads. One of my gripes is public alleys can be used as thruways, whereas parking lot roads and private drives really cannot. As it is I am left to guess what I am looking at going by Waze as I try to circumvent downtown traffic. Worst, we can be giving the impression that "private roads" in Waze generally aren't "private" at all. That's not a good message to convey, and while yes it is up to the individual driver to make sure they aren't on fact trespassing on a private road, I don't think Waze should in any way contribute to that, and yet especially in urban areas this could be an issue. It would help if the street names for such "private roads" were visible as well, although I understand why they are suppressed.

Right now the app is biased against those who use it extensively in "free-wazing" mode, or advanced drivers who have no problem taking a smaller side road if it means shaving a minute or two off travel time, and those minutes can add up. Again, I am hoping for a solution... but seriously, in the meantime, can we get some arrows at least?
WME L3: Junior Editor
App Beta Tester Waze v 4.22.1.901
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Android 7.0
Philadelphia, PA, USA
APettyJ
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Frankford/Bridesburg, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher