Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by ranttine
WazingArch wrote:But imagine someone is a motorcyclist - probably he will want to avoid "unpaved" roads, and not "narrow streets".
Yes. When I still had a bike it was a type I really really wouldn't have wanted to drive on a dirt road. (Suzuki GSX-R 1100 btw)
ranttine
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by RussPA
In PA, we have 125 streets retyped to Narrow Street/Passageway within the last few months from editors we don't know. Is there any way we can disable this so we don't have to keep fixing all of these?
RussPA  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator

Post by RussPA
Yes I remember seeing that, but now that some time has passed, and the road type is still being used, the idea needs to be revisited. Rename, remove the penalty, we should find something to do to prevent problems. Renaming should be easier, since each country (language) has it's own translation strings.
RussPA  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator

Post by SeveriorumPatrem
This is just one more reason that Waze should develop a Mission Statement for the WME and app Beta communities, applicable to staff and volunteers. Horses are pulling in so many directions because no one has defined what it really is we are trying to accomplish together.
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by skippy10
DwarfLord wrote: it appears Waze plans to change the name to 'Narrow Street' not 'Narrow Road'...?
Doesn't plan but IS changed to 'Narrow Street' in beta WME, soon in next version of production WME...
skippy10
Send a message
Chrome - Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G - Android 11 - Waze ß - SM Aube + AM partie du Bas-Rhin / CM France - L6 - 1.3M edits

Post by SpencerFG
I think part of the consternation shown in this thread is due to the fact that we each have different concepts of "alley." Some streets are named "alley" and are therefore not. Other alleys serve different purposes in different parts of the US and often there's variation in the same part of the country. So perhaps we should be talking about what amounts to a functional classification (note the lower case) as some of what we call alleys are private roads (as in pipe stems), some are PLRs as in those that are required to access stop points, and some are variable based on time or day.

Judging from the discussion on the topic it may be difficult to get agreement but it's a lot more than PLR vs PR and I think deserves a section in the USA Wazeo. Currently the USA page simply refers to PLR. The Virginia Wazeo discusses "alleys" but doesn't define what they are.
SpencerFG
Send a message

Post by steveinark
So Staff can call this new road type by any name they choose -- it appears. Maybe "Alley", maybe "Narrow Road", maybe [choose from list] ...

Assuming this road type must be in WME now -- before parameters are defined and full details can be released to the editing community: Call it "TEST ROAD"

Everybody put "DOT NOT USE" in their WIKI basket. Change it to the final name choice when leadership
wants all editors, 1 to 6, to begin using it in a real world environment.
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)

Post by vince1612
matsalka wrote:It's unnecessary to have separate road type only for motorcycles, while the same thing could be accomplished with restrictions! And what's the use for the 5-10 minute penalty? If the street is too narrow for a car, then it's impossible to drive there regardless the penalty and cyclists will use the shortcuts anyway.
  • This is not a type only for motorcycles
  • You could accomplish the same with restrictions if it was only for motorcycle, but it's not.
  • This is not for streets that are "too narrow for a car" where it's "impossible to drive there" see:
    delilush wrote:we mean very narrow streets that are drive-able, but hard to access by car
  • The previous point answers your question about why there is a penalty.
The way I personally consider Alleys is simply narrow streets, that are either hard to drive through or that could be create situations like these ones in cities or in the country-side:
https://s9.postimg.cc/9nmvpy74f/ght.jpg https://s9.postimg.cc/6gsc6o9xb/fer.png

Now even if these streets are allowed and two-way, they could save you time but also just as well make you lose 5-10min if not more in case you're unlucky. So IMHO the pernalty is very useful to prefer a small detour via a regular 2-lanes street rather than a 1-lane one (Alley), unless it's one-way in which case it doesn't create any risk of issues and can be left as a street.

All that being said, I do agree that it was a little early and unexpected that it would go into production WME already, it's a good thing that it doesn't (yet) influence the routing server at least, but will require a lot of monitoring on our part.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png

Post by vince1612
iainhouse wrote:
jchiarav wrote:You should be able to choose to avoid them
That's a good point. As currently explained, avoiding alleys is not a preference.

An alley segment will have a penalty for all car users, so it has no value in mapping in order to express a routing preference.
Indeed good point, while it has many similarities with “Difficult turns” it should be used with more diligence considering that unlike DT, an Alley has no in-app preference setting.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.

Post by vince1612
brujofav wrote:
Ardillon42 wrote:
brujofav wrote: They should change the name of Alley to Motorcycles
From my point of view it's a mis understanding.
The picture in delilush post explain well what is an "Alley", I gues it will be better to wrote "narrow road".
I think is not useful to give a check box because it will be available only for street, I don't imagine a "narrow" motor Highway.
Thanks Ardillon42

It is true, the image is very explicit, but we must consider that most of the editors will not see this forum, of course for that we are to take the information, on the other hand, by not discriminating the type of vehicle that can transit through those streets, apart from traffic jams, can cause greater evils when a vehicle is driven on a street that will be impossible to use because it is so big. This is without taking into account the security risk that being stuck in such a street can lead to the driver since the levels of insecurity vary enormously in the different countries.

I do not know if I explain or make myself understood?
I fully agree with Ardillon42

@brujofav Please see my response here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=255943#p1812072

This is not a type only for motorcycles, neither is it supposed to be used to map anything that would be too narrow for a car.

Please if you are AM or any role above and reading this thead, stop spreading wrong information back to your communities thinking that it is, because it's clearly not. Go to re-read Daliah's post and focus on the text, not just on the humorous picture.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message