[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: [Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4.2 Oc

Postby paulwelch23 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:27 pm

I CANNOT WAIT to try this out when I get off work! :grin:

Tim = AWESOME:!:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Paul M. Welch, PE

Tennessee-based CM, focusing on Middle / East TN and Memphis
paulwelch23

Postby pnordi » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Beta 1.4.6 Working great. Thanks Tim!
pnordi

Postby TheDane » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 pm

Have tested (briefly) on both Chrome and Firefox and works as intended as far as I can see :)

However,

Only highlights nodes which makes for having to look vary carefylly to see errors - especially on Major Highways (they are red)
Only works at zoom level 100m/500 ft or closer - meaning there is still quite some scrolling to check the larger roads/routes that typically are quite long. (not sure if possible to make work at zoom levels showing larger areas.

Also,
The Country/Border function shows up on the Danish/German border but not at e.g. the Danish Swedish border separated by a 3 mile sea. Does show up where a road on a bridge connects the countries and the road changes country at one point.

Suggestion:
I would really like it if the segments (not just junction nodes) could light up - but not sure what everyone else would prefer. Of course the segments still light up when you click on a neighbooring segment.
TheDane

Re: Re: [Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4.

Postby Timbones » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 am

TheDane wrote:The Country/Border function shows up on the Danish/German border but not at e.g. the Danish Swedish border separated by a 3 mile sea. Does show up where a road on a bridge connects the countries and the road changes country at one point.

This sounds like exactly how it should work. You'll only see the country name if there are streets in the view from more than one country.

via mobile
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 am

I did a little hacking around myself, today...I created a chunk of code which I submitted to Tim - he can decide whether to include it or not. Since we now know that it is completely possible to have segments with multiple cities in them...

The purpose of my code block is to check Alt streets in addition to primary ones, for city names (or lack thereof). It means that if a segment has two or more cities ('No city' also meaning a 'city'), it'll get highlighted for ANY matched, not just the primary.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby avalanchehawk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm

Something that would be nice, would be for us to be able to select the color of the highlights. i.e. some of the colors that are highlighted I can't see very well due to being color blind to certain colors. I manually hack the code, but I have to do that whenever the script is updated.
avalanchehawk
Area Manager: Houston
avalanchehawk

Postby Wajo357 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm loving the script. I'm still getting used to it. Thank you!.

Quick question: I always assumed that Waze stored road speed based on time of day and road speed to go straight or make a turn (based on the navigation routes I would get). However, when I select a segment, it just shows the average speed for that segment. So is this information telling me I was wrong with my assumption?
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Wajo357 wrote:I'm loving the script. I'm still getting used to it. Thank you!.

Quick question: I always assumed that Waze stored road speed based on time of day and road speed to go straight or make a turn (based on the navigation routes I would get). However, when I select a segment, it just shows the average speed for that segment. So is this information telling me I was wrong with my assumption?

I think this might be a useful read for you:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... tes_routes

Meantime...'average' A-B and B-A speeds is an easily pulled data chunk from a segment, so Tim said 'Sure, let's put it in'. Real time data and 'Time of day data' is not, so far as I know.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby Wajo357 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:40 pm

skbun wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:I'm loving the script. I'm still getting used to it. Thank you!.

I think this might be a useful read for you:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... tes_routes

Meantime...'average' A-B and B-A speeds is an easily pulled data chunk from a segment, so Tim said 'Sure, let's put it in'. Real time data and 'Time of day data' is not, so far as I know.

Yeah... I saw that wiki article, which is where I got my knowledge from. So it seems like I am correct and this data is just a total average.
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357

Postby CBenson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 pm

These average times were also visible in the old cartouche editor. If I recall correctly, whenever these data are used to support a theory on why waze is behaving in a certain way, the developer's answer is that the average times we can see are not the data used by waze for routing.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor