The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

That's no right turn!

Post by roadpeasant
Utterly befuddled as to why this guy gave me a "turn right, then turn left" direction. I was turning around up here so I could go south on Lincoln. Should've been two left turns.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=65787109

Transient error, perhaps? It did happen twice today, but I didn't refresh tiles in-between or anything like that.
roadpeasant

POSTER_ID:9247637

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You gotta investigate more closely. ;)

Look at the end of this segment and note the extraneous geometry node. The angle of which makes this not a turn at all because the last tiny part of the end of the segment is parallel with the highway. The right turn must have been the next one after this.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
roadpeasant wrote:Interesting! Still, it seems backwards... I thought I got the right first, then the left... but I'll fix that bugger up and then see what happens next update. Thanks again Alan :D
If the angle from that segment to the highway isn't actually parallel, but if that geometry node was on the other side of the highway, then the turn would be reversed.

Take this example: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=40462379

Note that the geometry node of the drive is very close and without highlighting the segment and at a high enough altitude, you'd probably never notice it. If you zoom in more, you'll see it's on the other side of the road. That means, a left turn is now to right and a right turn is to the left because of the direction the private drive is connected to the main road. I think your situation may have been similar.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by roadpeasant
Interesting! Still, it seems backwards... I thought I got the right first, then the left... but I'll fix that bugger up and then see what happens next update. Thanks again Alan :D
roadpeasant
Send a message