Regridding a small town

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Regridding a small town

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 pm

You know those small towns along interstates with a nice square grid, a mix of every type of road direction, and the roads are all wonky, wobbly and bent? Yeah, sometimes, I just must straighten it all.

Waiting for 300 changes to save is still a pain and will often timeout, but how perfectly straight everything is afterwards makes me smile. :D
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Regridding a small town

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:19 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Doesn't everyone do this???

I dunno. I only do it every so often when when I happen along a rural place while fixing up highways and interstates.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:26 am

jhfrontz wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:You know those small towns along interstates with a nice square grid, a mix of every type of road direction, and the roads are all wonky, wobbly and bent? Yeah, sometimes, I just must straighten it all.

And, of course, you checked every one of those roads to make sure that they are an actual road, that they are actually two-way or one-way, and that the turn restrictions are all correct, right?

This "wholesale" updating I only do in pretty small towns where 1-way roads are really quite rare, especially in residential areas of small towns. If I feel uncertain about some roads in an area or a town, I will likely skip the town altogether.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:47 am

jondrush wrote:You'll probably find 15-20 towns like that in Pennsylvania. It would go a lot faster if we had Alan's, kill-all-interior-nodes button. :D

haha! That would be a great button! Unfortunately, in reality it's a combination of good ol'fashioned bridging or pulling junctions apart manually.

In really bad towns, where streets are unnamed, or single blocks are comprised of 5+ segments, some with different names and/or city missing, I find it easier to delete the segments and start from scratch. I only do this to unknown direction roads which is a good indicator that there is little to no speed data yet. You do get fewer points this way, though.

Nacron wrote:Just wait until someone with a phone with bad GPS rides through that town.

True! Although, in this town, there were only 3 or 4 streets which weren't unknown directionality, so, at least as of yet, no one Wazing out there. That gives GPS chip accuracy a chance to increase before this town has more Wazers. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Doesn't everyone do this???
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Actually, you go to much more of an extreme than I do, although I have gone through a couple of towns and removed geometry nodes. I don't think I've ever had one with streets as straight as that. I guess since we have a lot of rivers and bayous, the roads tend to follow the waterways so straight roads are non-existent.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:33 am

Note the breaks in the streets where there are dead-ends. Those tend to be filled in on the basemap and will stay that way until someone goes in and deletes them.

When I'm going along the highways and come to a small town, I can always tell when some careless editor with Extended Tools came along and AAD'd the town. There's *always* a few dead-ends like that. Then I have to zoom in and scrutinize the entire town, since there's no visual clues like Unknown direction on the roads that don't exist.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jhfrontz » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:25 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:You know those small towns along interstates with a nice square grid, a mix of every type of road direction, and the roads are all wonky, wobbly and bent? Yeah, sometimes, I just must straighten it all.

And, of course, you checked every one of those roads to make sure that they are an actual road, that they are actually two-way or one-way, and that the turn restrictions are all correct, right?

I'm still suffering from someone cutting wide swathes through Ohio enabling all turns/directions without checking anything against reality. Worse, waze users in Ohio are still suffering because of it.
jhfrontz
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:16 pm

You'll probably find 15-20 towns like that in Pennsylvania. It would go a lot faster if we had Alan's, kill-all-interior-nodes button. :D
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
Northeast Region Assistant Coordinator
jondrush User Page
ImageImage
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Nacron » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:20 am

Waiting for 300 changes to save is still a pain and will often timeout, but how perfectly straight everything is afterwards makes me smile. :D

Just wait until someone with a phone with bad GPS rides through that town.
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | 4.3 MJ4 | Waze 3.7.7.0 Official
[Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Lanai, Hawaii Island, Molokai] Hawaii Area Manager
Nacron
Beta tester
Beta tester

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor