Next update on INTL maps?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Next update on INTL maps?

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:00 am

wroadd wrote:
xteejx wrote:No. TomTom maps are bought from and licensed by one of the big mappers, NavTeq I think.

Tomton owns TeleAtlas.

There are two big players in the market (jet), TeleAtlas and Navteq (TomTom and Nokia).

This to gigants serve the nav systems with data.

For big countries they made their own map, in smaller (less important) countries, where are a local map data provider, their bought the map source an the updates.

Google started to prepare his own service, but it is not jet used.

Then comes the frre mapping services, like OSM.

And now comes Waze, too.

So if You check the main online map providers, You will see usually this two type of maps, but not all have the new, updated data resource.

Tapatalk 2-vel küldve az én GT-I9100-ről

Google's own maps are used in a number of areas, anywhere where Google MapMaker works! You can see the source in the lower right corner of maps.google.com for your current view

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Next update on INTL maps?

Postby wroadd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:09 am

xteejx wrote:No. TomTom maps are bought from and licensed by one of the big mappers, NavTeq I think.

Tomton owns TeleAtlas.

There are two big players in the market (jet), TeleAtlas and Navteq (TomTom and Nokia).

This to gigants serve the nav systems with data.

For big countries they made their own map, in smaller (less important) countries, where are a local map data provider, their bought the map source an the updates.

Google started to prepare his own service, but it is not jet used.

Then comes the frre mapping services, like OSM.

And now comes Waze, too.

So if You check the main online map providers, You will see usually this two type of maps, but not all have the new, updated data resource.

Tapatalk 2-vel küldve az én GT-I9100-ről
wroadd

Re: Re: Re: Next update on INTL maps?

Postby floppyrod84 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:36 am

huddie wrote:TomTom maps are created by paid cartographers,

No. TomTom maps are bought from and licensed by one of the big mappers, NavTeq I think.
The Swale Crossing part of the A249 (massive bridge) took nearly 3 years to appear on the TomTom devices.
When good editors in waze are on top of things, new road layouts and systems *can* be updated to coincide even with the opening day, and has been done many times.
An example from my own area in Kent would be the new bypass near Manston airport. A256 I think. When you have enough good people and when the system works as it should, we can outdo the big cartographic agencies easily.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Re: Re: Next update on INTL maps?

Postby dknight212 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:42 pm

iainhouse wrote:
gabrielsena21 wrote:one official announcement would be cool

You know what, I don't know how to say it without getting reported for abusive language. An "official announcement" that doesn't arrive days after something has happened with no mention of how badly things were screwed up would be &*^$*(£(&(£ amazing.

Iain, the final lesson.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
dknight212

Postby foxitrot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm

gabrielsena21 wrote:updates daily now?

I'm eagerly willing to confirm it in a week, but not sooner.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:41 pm

dknight212 wrote:Ehud, we appreciate the extra effort to communicate. It makes a big difference.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

+1.

(10chars)
dmcconachie

Postby mssusa » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:31 am

eshabtai wrote:We're basically using the fonts of the OS. Which version of Android do you use? Does the OS itself supports Arabic?

I'm using official 4.0.3 on my Galaxy S2. It supports Arabic just fine. Even road and city names in the pop up reports look great. It is just the map itself. I believe the map is rendered outside the client as some sort of raster image. I'm not good with images so I'm not sure. What I'm sure of is Arabic is displayed fine in the live map and the client's menues and reports /user names but not in the map inside the client itself.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby pvaladares » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:51 am

nzhook wrote:I must say ive been impressed at times by the map updates and at other times ive been disappointed (especially when I first started and it took over a month for my changes to show up - I was ready to walk)

However what would be awsome, would instead of a status update saying its starting or has finished would be a indication of where its at. Maybe a progress bar (10% or 1/50) or just a current process indicator (eg. exporting db, compiling livemap tiles, compiling client tiles, testing, rolling out, released), this could be triggered automatically by what ever process is working at the time (at its start). This way its really obvious where its at and we can know that if its automatically triggered that the page should be correct.

Obviously I dont know how the maps have to be compiled and rolled out, but I would hope a lot of it is automatic and would allow for adding something to do the automatic update before hand (even just a bash script to do 'statusupdate $0; $0-real $@' would work).

Of course once thats in place the next question that would start happening is how far is the X process though or when is it expected to finish. But at least there would be more visibility of it.

I agree.
Waze team could place 2 progress bar in the status page for NA and INTL servers.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
pvaladares

Postby pvaladares » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 pm

eshabtai wrote:From now on, we will post more frequently about the tiles update status (on the status page).
This will include a post when we start the process which will let you know which updates are included in the coming update. We will also keep you up to date if we encounter any delays.

As for the new infrastructure, we will first do a dry run of rebuilding all the tiles and testing them. This will allow us to test everything and get an estimation on the length of the process. Once we complete it I'll post an update. We will probably start working on it next week.
It's hard to estimate on when will the real deployment start but probably be in 3-4 weeks from now.

Once the new infrastructure will be deployed we aim to have map updates twice a week. As I already said our final target is to have daily updates but that requires some more dev which is planned but not yet being worked on.

Ehud

+1

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
pvaladares

Postby Henkedanne » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:34 am

Ikkabar wrote:
eshabtai wrote:I agree that we are not doing a good job with comms regarding map updates and especially delays.

eshabtai wrote:We had some last minute issues with this round of map updates.

Ehud,

Thanks for giving us an update on the current position. I'm looking forward to a lot of newly mapped roads appearing in the client maps in my area. A few minutes earlier in the week to post this to the status page would have saved 3 days of wondering for a lot of users. :)

I would have thought that the way to improve the communication issue, is when something doesn't work as planned, post a quick message to the status page about it, and only then start to fix it. ;)

+1

Sent from my Sgs2 using Tapatalk.
Henkedanne

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor