The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by pvaladares
eshabtai wrote:From now on, we will post more frequently about the tiles update status (on the status page).
This will include a post when we start the process which will let you know which updates are included in the coming update. We will also keep you up to date if we encounter any delays.

As for the new infrastructure, we will first do a dry run of rebuilding all the tiles and testing them. This will allow us to test everything and get an estimation on the length of the process. Once we complete it I'll post an update. We will probably start working on it next week.
It's hard to estimate on when will the real deployment start but probably be in 3-4 weeks from now.

Once the new infrastructure will be deployed we aim to have map updates twice a week. As I already said our final target is to have daily updates but that requires some more dev which is planned but not yet being worked on.

Ehud
+1

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
pvaladares
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by pvaladares
nzhook wrote:I must say ive been impressed at times by the map updates and at other times ive been disappointed (especially when I first started and it took over a month for my changes to show up - I was ready to walk)

However what would be awsome, would instead of a status update saying its starting or has finished would be a indication of where its at. Maybe a progress bar (10% or 1/50) or just a current process indicator (eg. exporting db, compiling livemap tiles, compiling client tiles, testing, rolling out, released), this could be triggered automatically by what ever process is working at the time (at its start). This way its really obvious where its at and we can know that if its automatically triggered that the page should be correct.

Obviously I dont know how the maps have to be compiled and rolled out, but I would hope a lot of it is automatic and would allow for adding something to do the automatic update before hand (even just a bash script to do 'statusupdate $0; $0-real $@' would work).

Of course once thats in place the next question that would start happening is how far is the X process though or when is it expected to finish. But at least there would be more visibility of it.

I agree.
Waze team could place 2 progress bar in the status page for NA and INTL servers.

pvaladares
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by pvaladares
A similar problem exist when favorites are imported from the server. All non standard chars are incorrectly shown: ã ó (just to give an example).

pvaladares
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by ranttine
LiveMap lags behind the map which is actually in use.
ranttine
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ranttine
Got an update
Vespucci41 wrote:Hey All,

Tiles in ROW have finished building.
They will be deployed tomorrow.

Thanks all,
Ruben
ranttine
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Red_Kite
I'm a newbie, so hope this is in the right section. A question relating to map updates but not necessarily related to the infrastructure and frequency of updates but relating to the consistency.

I'm writing this on my windows pc. I have waze on my iPhone, iPad and Android phone. I am a big fan of waze as I found it whilst researching an app idea; lots of cool features could be added but for now a great social navigation app with real time traffic/social comms.

But... (you knew it was coming) I'm confused by updates, not the wait and not the communication. Here are my experiences which I would be grateful for anyone to assist.

1. I was in car navigating and sitting at junction. I reported through the app the junction was wrong.
2. Days later I navigated through junction and it had changed! Wow!
3. This change is now correctly reflected on all mobile devices but not the web. How is this? This really confuses me. Isn't the web the "master" copy? (I'm on the world map on the web and have checked the US map, which has nothing, as expected)
4. The changes were not all reflected simultaneously on the mobile devices, which also confused me. An app update issue? User issue?!
5. Inspired I reported another correction. A road name (it's a confusing road and I know it well). This is now reflected on the web map but not the apps. I guess this is an update timing issue.
6. I've now added a few extra landmarks and want to contribute, I think it's a great nav tool and I've used it on my bike (with an earpiece, volume low) to navigate unfamiliar routes on road)
7. I'd love to be able to add footpaths, bridleways, by-ways, bike routes etc but this is a UK thing. This tool is good for cyclists - although it would screw the speed calcs - but you could enter what type of transport user you are at the beginning, i.e. motorist, cyclist, walker.

I have read around on the site but I haven't worked out how the map updates feed/populate the apps and vice versa.

Great app so I'm keen to contribute!

Graham
Red_Kite
Send a message

Post by Red_Kite
olestas wrote:It is actually pretty bad if someone uses this app as cyclist. And I wondered where all those not-real traffic jams come from...
In current state waze is not to be used by pedestrians or cyclists, because pedestrian/cycling roads can break correct navigation for cars (if drawn all around) and that also is cause for false traffic jams reports.

What do you mean by "on the web map"? If http://world.waze.com/livemap/ - than live map has some glitches in displaying updates. If https://world.waze.com/editor/ - than editor must display all latest additions, even those not yet in the app.
And update frequency is to be seen here http://status.waze.com/
Point taken, used once on bike and no more, I don't think that would have caused any jams. Mind you, the option to switch to a bike view (and switch off speed reporting) would be a useful one. I'll find another app for riding.

On the editor, it was https://world.waze.com/editor. So that view is not showing a junction change that i see on all three mobile apps.
Red_Kite
Send a message

Post by robin1979
dmcconachie wrote:
eshabtai wrote:The new infrastructure is in place. Please let us know if you see any issues.

We are aware that there are some issues with water bodies (these also exist on the US server). We already have a fix for it but we will wait for a few map update cycles before we deploy it.
What changes can we expect to see, if any? I can't see anything different as yet. What water bodies have been added?!
Nothing added, they are gone. See champs forum 8-).
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by robin1979
There's some big project going on in Europe (no further details are given), which is the cause of the slight delay.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe