The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Area cleanup methodology

Post by stevecody
Guys,

This is a question for the experienced AMs out there. I am a fairly new area manager and I've been spending a considerable amount of time combing through my areas and doing various sorts of cleanup. As I've been doing this for several weeks now, I've started getting more methodical in my approach and am making sure I don't miss portions of the map and also don't miss small details that need to be fixed.

My question:

Is there a good recommended list of items to work on, in order, to clean up an areas so that I can eventually get to a point where I'm mainly handling update requests and new additions?

Some items I look at now, some more than others:

Correcting road types (unknown, and incorrect one-way/two-way roads)
Correcting turn restrictions
Adding unmapped neighborhoods (High priority, I believe)
Cleaning up extra junctions
Deleting crazy roads running across lakes and other roads that don't actually exist
Updating City names associated with roads
Others?

How do you guys go about getting your areas to a point where the bulk of the work is done and you can just handle routine requests?

Thanks again!
Steve
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:9168526

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
I start with the URs and Problems and clear them up, then I work town by town doing road typing (Minor Highway, Primary Street, etc). While I'm doing that, I also cleanup driveways, turn restrictions and map new roads at the same time. I also deal with new URs as they come in...

Depending on how big your area is, I usually let new developments get reported before I map them (in areas I've already been through) - that way other Wazers have driven it & (hopefully) put road names in URs. If they do that, I usually give them a few days to finish it off (so they get a all the points for their work), but if they don't I'll take care of it.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by khaytsus
My order of operations on a city, no matter what size. If the city is large, I'll do this entire list in sections of the city. I don't do the first few bullets on a large city then don't do the rest until later, etc.. One exception could be fixing the very first bullet (Interstates) and not touching the rest of the city when I'm solely focused on fixing Interstate. I of course would not mark a city as "done" in that case.

This pretty much assumes nobody has edited the city at all in the past, obviously the steps will change if that has already been done. I'm re-using your list in some places. ;)
  • Interstates and their associated Junctions, Ramps, and connectivity to the city
  • Major then Minor highway connectivity in the city and immediately beyond it
  • Mass-edit cleanup of unknown, and incorrect one-way/two-way roads and turn restrictions
  • Correction of any one-way streets and obvious turn restrictions
  • Extend editing of Interstates, Major and Minor highways to the next city in each direction
  • Deleting crazy roads running across lakes and other roads that don't actually exist
  • Deleting useless driveway roads, 4x4 roads, other nonsense from the basemap
  • Cleaning up extra junctions (which often exposes city name or street name issues)
  • Comparing streets against Bling aerials for sanity checking
  • Verification of Major/Minor/Primary street designations and general cleanup of street designations
  • Adding unmapped neighborhoods if possible
When this is done, we (Kentucky AM's) have a Google Spreadsheet we update with the date finished, date last checked, and also a Google Map we add a shape to so we can visualize what's done. We prioritize on the largest cities. We also try to review cities at least every month or so, the spreadsheet changes the color if the last reviewed date is too old to indicate we need to do so. That usually means a more in-depth review than just UR's. We scan for UR's in the largest cities weekly or so, and try to make it to the smaller cities at least once a month.

Just a FYI, I am always careful with the mass edits. Again if a city has already been edited, I rarely will use that broad swath of a tool, and I'm always careful of dual carriageways, ramps, existing one-way's, etc, to make sure they don't get reset back to 2 way. And I usually make one more pass through the city when I'm done, usually finding dozens of little stray things I didn't notice because I was concentrating on "something else".
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by khaytsus
stevecody wrote:khaytsus,

Awesome reply. Thanks. This is very helpful. I am finding myself looking through my areas for edits and basically telling myself, I need a way to track all of this and make smart(er) edits, some sort of "top down" approach.

You mentioned using google maps and a spreadsheet for tracking. I think that's a good idea. I keep thinking I need a physical map that I can draw a square on and focus on all of the various items, like what you listed, in each square.

Thanks again.

Steadily working toward 100k edits... I think I still have 30k+ to go.
I've just recently started this Wiki page, but the spreadsheet and google map are listed. I know you can read-only the Spreadsheet, not 100% sure about the Map. Let me know, the Map was started by another AM, not sure if he has read-only for all or whatnot permissions can be thrown on that one.

https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Ken ... _resources

Let's see how some of the other big boys respond to my list.. I know some people violently foam at the mouth when "mass editing" is mentioned, but IMO it's a tool. It's an axe, you use it to cut down trees, not for carving a boat out of soap. Said another way, why spend hours doing what the script will do for me in minutes? That gives me time to concentrate on useful stuff in the map. :)
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by loadbang
For new developments I switch on the GPS layer. If there are traces it gets added ASAP.

I use the GPS layer a lot. I check any popular routes to make sure they work. Set the correct road type and then name them. I then move on to the popular side streets.

To do a 2 mile route Waze used to send me on 5-10 mile detours. The base map was that broken. It now seems to work fine in my area.

I've have now moved on to naming each housing estate one at a time.
loadbang
Send a message

Post by stevecody
khaytsus,

Awesome reply. Thanks. This is very helpful. I am finding myself looking through my areas for edits and basically telling myself, I need a way to track all of this and make smart(er) edits, some sort of "top down" approach.

You mentioned using google maps and a spreadsheet for tracking. I think that's a good idea. I keep thinking I need a physical map that I can draw a square on and focus on all of the various items, like what you listed, in each square.

Thanks again.

Steadily working toward 100k edits... I think I still have 30k+ to go.
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message