Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Carpool spot category

Post by Vespucci41
Hey All,

We would like to give you a heads up that we are going to add a new places category for testing purposes, and there will be no need to map it.
You can map them, but for now they will only be used for internal testing. If successful they might be implemented as a separate feature (so we might lose the mapped spots).

The idea is to have some mapped pick up/drop off points in order to start testing some use case scenarios related to carpool and future integration.

The Category name will be CARPOOL_SPOT: Carpool Spot.

This category will be used for places that are a central pick up/drop off point, and major transportation hubs.

Since the Category is only experimental for now, it will not be searchable, but it will be visible in WME. Most probably it will be added to already existing places that function also as pick up/drop off points.

Thank you,
Ruben
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team

POSTER_ID:17527666

Send a message
Last edited by LostInMyMaps on Tue May 25, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove sticky

Post by jalondon628
This is interesting. From its beginning, I never liked that Carpool would automatically generate a pick-up/drop-off spot. Often these locations were at off-ramps or busy intersections where it would be impossible to stop. It's changed to where you can modify it but you still cannot choose an address or business name. I understand the reasoning though. Creating generalized pick-up/drop-off spots is a good idea; I'm curious how much this would get used in practice. I'm interested to see how this develops.
jalondon628
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Joel London (jalondon628)
US Country Manager
US South Central Region multi-state manager (Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas)
Based in Dallas, TX

https://s.waze.tools/s0500.png

Post by jm6087
I am confused on how there are URs regarding Carpool Stop Locations. According to the release notes above
vespucci41 wrote:Since the Category is only experimental for now, it will not be searchable, but it will be visible in WME. Most probably it will be added to already existing places that function also as pick up/drop off points.
I have not seen any release about the category being usable in the app yet.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by nzahn1
Vespucci41 wrote:Since the Category is only experimental for now, it will not be searchable, but it will be visible in WME. Most probably it will be added to already existing places that function also as pick up/drop off points.
Any update on the testing of these places?
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by RichardPyne
turbomkt wrote:
RichardPyne wrote:What is the process for dealing with URs about carpool stop locations?
I think that's different from this category.
Yes, and no. It is about carpool spots, just asking how we as editors can get them fixed. This is the closest category I can find.
RichardPyne
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by turbomkt
RichardPyne wrote:What is the process for dealing with URs about carpool stop locations?
I think that's different from this category.
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 17
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)

Post by turbomkt
jm6087 wrote:I am confused on how there are URs regarding Carpool Stop Locations. According to the release notes above
vespucci41 wrote:Since the Category is only experimental for now, it will not be searchable, but it will be visible in WME. Most probably it will be added to already existing places that function also as pick up/drop off points.
I have not seen any release about the category being usable in the app yet.
This is why I think it's unrelated.

@richardpyne, is this from people using the carpool function in the app?
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 17
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)