Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by rleejr79
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Yes. It is non functional. Waze is supposed to give us more direct control over shield type and info in a future editor version.
Alan,

I know the Wiki says to use the primary route (interstates and such) when a road is considered to be two different routes. Any word if they are looking into dual shields for those sections that have two?

~ I don't always use my phone to respond in forums. When I do, I Swype on my GNex with Tapatalk 2
rleejr79
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... 00k_4c.png

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8544/8673462177_599c074ce1_m.jpg https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8538/8674566016_06d3383627_m.jpg My Waze idea: [url=https:///wwdzq]Vote Here Pls![/url]

Post by sketch
PhantomSoul wrote:Sounds like in the US, because of the different ways state roads are colloquially referred to in different regions, we would need to match any of State Hwy XXXX, SR-XXXX, or YY-XXXX, where XXXX is 1-4 alphanumeric characters (some state roads have letter suffixes, particularly in New York) and YY is 2 alphabetic characters matching the 2-letter abbreviations of any of the states or American territories, since many prefer to go by that.

What do other American editors think?
CBenson wrote:I think that would be great. I'm not holding my breath until it happens.
It sounds great to me. I'm not going to be quite so pessimistic—I think half the problem has been solved by Caradellino's work—what exactly we need to ask Waze to do.

Either
  • we take it easy and submit a big list of various abbreviations (yy-x, yy-xx, yy-xxx, y-xxxx for the various two-letter state abbreviations or at least the states that use it; M-x etc. and K-x etc. for Michigan and Kansas; SR-x etc. for states that use it, etc.) and give them all the generic oval state shield, or
  • we get ambitious and give Waze blank shields for each state, and submit 48 states' yy-x, yy-xx, etc. with their state shields, M-x etc. and K-x etc. for those states which use a one-letter route prefix, and SR-x etc. for the generic oval so we have a shield for those segments which are not changed over. We'd also have to ask Waze to run scripts or whatever to change every instance of "State Rte" and "State Hwy" and "SR-" and "SH-", by state, to fit the state abbreviation or initial (where applicable).
The first is pretty easily attainable, I think, and would put us at the same level as every other GPS map I can think of besides Apple Maps. The second may be a pipe dream.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Well, a couple problem we have faced in trying to get better shields in a place that already has SOME (as opposed to getting shields for the first time): some editors elect not to change their habits so as to avoid breaking the existing shields, and perhaps Waze is less eager to give us more than what we already have.

We've had many a discussion about what to name state highways, but no consensus. Some states use "SR-" because it's short and expands in TTS to "State route"; in Louisiana and Michigan we use LA- and M- as we do in local parlance and on signs; and some states have stuck with "State Hwy" because the local terminology is always "highway" and never "route". Yet others have chosen to retain "State Rte" to keep shields; some are reluctant to change until we have a definite yes on new shield criteria.

Another problem we face if adopting shields for every state is TTS. It's fine in Louisiana and Michigan but for states that don't use their initials or abbreviations in route names, hearing "Em Ess 73" instead of "highway 73" or "Mississippi 73" is off-putting enough to give many editors cause for concern. Doubly so in states where highways are lettered rather than numbered—imagine in Missouri being asked to turn onto "MO-X": "Turn right, at Em Oh Ecks"?

I'm all for it, don't get me wrong, and I'd love to see it happen, but a lot of things have to be done for such a necessarily complicated set of rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:we get ambitious and give Waze blank shields for each state, and submit 48 states'
I'd say 53 will DC and the territories.
Well, in the full quote I meant to imply "K- for Kansas, M- for Michigan, and the two-letter abbreviations for the other 48 states". But yes, the number will be higher than 50, because of DC, territories, and because a few states have more than one shield. Not sure how we'd handle those, and also not sure how we'd handle the "lettered" secondary state routes of Missouri.
Caradellino wrote: Supplement:
AU is going to propose to Amit a suggestion/wish for further implementation of the shields into the client - you surely noticed the purple bubble issue. For a pic says more than thousand words, I just created an "artists impression", so it's a fake picture of what we want, not what we have. I'd be happy if you agree to this and support it as well...ademand from two highly populated continents is hard to neglect for Waze :lol:
shieldintegration.jpg
Funny—I made a post suggesting something very similar to this many years ago! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71&hilit=shield&start=10#p3506

Of course, I love the idea, especially with the navigation bubbles. (Forget the old suggestion about control cities.) The very best way to implement this, IMO, would be to replace both the "I-10" part and the subsequent slash or hyphen where there is one, that way you could have it say "to [I-10 shield] New Orleans / Baton Rouge" on a ramp, and "[NA8] Barton Hwy" on the purple bubble, without taking up the extra room.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Haha, it's surely not unique to Europe, either!

I-77 N, I-81 S, and US-52 N are concurrent at the point where you would see these signs. A few miles before, the three routes are also concurrent with US-11 S.

That's the only one I could think of off the top of my head, but I've certainly seen up to five concurrencies on the same freeway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
The yellow-on-blue pentagon shield is apparently the one recommended by the MUTCD. I would be fine with incorporating that for CR-xx and Parish Rd xx — Louisiana uses the same shield for its parish routes.

Does "CR-" say "county route" or "county road"? Optimally we'd be able to get the equivalent for "PR-xx".

There are a few different county route numbering schemes I'm aware of, many involve letters, either purely or in conjunction with numbers. For example, Michigan's county route system is divided into regions A through somewhere around N; county highways are numbered like CR-B17. There are also county roads with just numbers which are not "highways".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Short answer: Don't change the naming standard just to get shields to work.

Long answer: After seeing Caradellino's recent work in Australia, I've been inspired to get shields working for state highways in the US. It seems unlikely that Waze will add a shield rule here and a shield rule there, but with a full set of proposed rules, it seems they might be more willing.

Most states by now, I think, use "SR-", which does not create shields. It'd be easy to say "give SR- the state highway shield", but it doesn't end there. Some states have their own standards—Louisiana uses "LA-", Michigan uses "M-", and so forth, to follow local conventions. Some states, on the other hand, are still using "State Hwy", and I can't help but think that some of these are states without strong local leadership, who are just going on with what the base map came with.

"SH-" does not work at all, not even for text-to-speech. I don't know that I'd want it to, either. Even if roads are called "highway" by locals, I've never seen "SH-" written down anywhere, whereas even here (where, e.g., "LA 48" is on the signs), I've seen "SR-" used in DOTD information. I don't think users are going to be very confused by "SR-25", especially when it says "State Route 25" out loud.

What I'd like to see is (1) an abbreviation for every state, whether "SR-" or one specific to the state, (2) generic state highway oval shield for "SR-", and (3) specialized shields for all the states which have their own abbreviations, like "LA-" and "M-". I'll bet (1) is harder than it sounds.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Caradellino wrote:What I introduced in that quoted post was just a vision of future shield integration and has been postponed because of lack of Dev-time by Waze for now. So we did not get it yet.

Alt-names are not used at all by the client, so there is no surprise that this goes with shields as well and I wont expect a change here soon.

AT and AU have been easier for in both countries we had implemented the shields from country -wide CM (for AT no wonder but AU is a whole continent) because we both have no state fields and therefore no real structure in states within the country.

I'd really like to go on with the further integration of shields but that would interfear with you and other countries implementing shields to a standard like Australia (Austria is a much simpler case) has already-because l need the devs for this and Waze also wants to ,, finish" the first stage for many countries more before going on.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk
From what I understood about your post a few months ago about Australian shields, was that Waze was unwilling to act unless you gave an example and list of every shield and every associated name format that you desired.

So just asking for "SR-xx" and "H-x" probably won't go anywhere. It seemed like we might actually get something if we get all our stuff together and make a big submission for all the states. My ideation was to give "SR-xx" a generic state shield and give state-specific shields only to those with state-specific abbreviations, since that wouldn't require using the state field.

Of course, if Waze is too busy now, then we won't get that either.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Spil
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I've also seen state hwy shields in the last two days which I would swear up and down were not there just days ago. Perhaps they are trying to regenerate them again? Either to buy time or to prep for giving us better control in the editor? As usual, we have no clue what they are up to.
I took a look just for kicks, and found that a lot of I-86 in my area is now shielded again, but parts of it aren't; also, I-390 isn't showing shields here. Again, due to the awesome communication we always get from Waze :roll:, we really don't know what's going on ... but any return of shields is better than none, I suppose. :?
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by thefatveganchef
I have noticed that shields are showing up on ramps still. Ramps need to be exempt from shield generation, it looks like the shield is out of place on the client.
thefatveganchef
Send a message