Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Caradellino
sketch wrote:We'd also have to ask Waze to run scripts or whatever to change every instance of "State Rte" and "State Hwy" and "SR-" and "SH-", by state, to fit the state abbreviation or initial (where applicable)
Some suggestions, if I may be so bold:
  • Start by making a list just from scratch to get your shields list. Though what you see on my table are screenshots from the client, initially we had just any example for the shield, design team will draw them for the client themselves.
  • Collect the main used pattern for each shield you want to show. Remember, patterns are national (countrywide) currently, as you told me, even if you have the state field it's not been used in shield generation process
  • Sort it out: one shield can have many pattern, but one pattern can only have one shield. You will have to decide what's to be changed, if two states used the same code. Of course, you can also have Amit persuade the devs to make use of the state field too (so every state can have a different shield for "State Hwy") - but I'm not sure if they would do it at all, and if they do what the timeframe for such rework might be.
  • Once you have the complete and agreed upon list: fix up the streetnames.
    From real good experiance in AU: let the editors adapt patterns in streetnames, not Waze. It's a big community thing, you will get a lot from it if you make it a community endeavour. Also, once the patterns are active, newly edited roads will get their shields automatically, so the editors have a direct feedback from theyr work.We went the different way, for most of the roads had no numbers. Now check via livemap, every road with a bullet has it's proper shield in the client, all done by the community (in allmost notime), who is VERY proud of the shields now, because all worked together to get that project done. Waze scripting might be a fast way, but doing it yourself is like adding glue to the community :mrgreen:
But any way you choose to go: good luck, it's worth the effort. A "pretty" client is the best way to attract new users and that helps Waze to grow.
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Greets...and keep on wazing
Caradellino, CM for:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Common ... /Mysig.png
AT-Wiki | Team Austria | Wie Waze Routen kalkuliert
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by Caradellino
Thanks for the heads up, it brings quite a lot of insights, especially for you seem to be ahead regarding TTS.

For Austria (my home turf) it's no problem, for we have routes A, S, B and L, we have coded them for a long time now despite having any shield (yet, tests should have started last week, but there was a huge problem with dashboard and scoreboard on ROW, so that might be the reason for the delay) and we are happy with TTS for it reflects our local parlance (thx for that phrase, learned something new along...).

Australia is with its taditional numbering more like you in style, and I take it as valuable information that you managed to have TTS "decode" shield patterns as well. Guess I get the kangaroos stating, what they want to hear on the various patterns, "State Route" for SR would be a good start for them as well. ;)
sketch wrote:Well, a couple problem we have faced in trying to get better shields in a place that already has SOME (as opposed to getting shields for the first time): some editors elect not to change their habits so as to avoid breaking the existing shields, and perhaps Waze is less eager to give us more than what we already have.
If you manage to implement the new shield pattersn beside the existing one I'm rather sure guys will change them gradually. If you change the shields by assigning the new shield to the existing pattern, the change will run automatically. I have faced no relctance or call for a limit of shield patterns being submitted.
Amit promised, unlike gas stations or toll roads there is no need for any percentage of area being already mapped according to your patterns before going live, and he kept this promise. Just the guys where so eager entering codes that once the shields went live the client lit like a christmas-tree in the capital cities. And now thea are the more eager to enter the rest, because they see the result of the effort. Board of CM on Australia said, it's like Xmas coming early this year :lol:
So from my experiance: shields are a self runner once you have the patterns.

...one hint: look for a silent place (dessert maybe) and make a grid of phony streets, apply an example for every pattern you submit. It has proven extremly valuable to have a place like that to check on the rollout of the various pattern without having to hunt for a proper example. Don't forget to add a landmark with a unique name, to make that test area findable in the client.
Australia had the Road Shield Ranch for that.

I'm happy to have dropped in here for our exchange of information really proves mutual beneficial. :mrgreen:

Supplement:
AU is going to propose to Amit a suggestion/wish for further implementation of the shields into the client - you surely noticed the purple bubble issue. For a pic says more than thousand words, I just created an "artists impression", so it's a fake picture of what we want, not what we have. I'd be happy if you agree to this and support it as well...ademand from two highly populated continents is hard to neglect for Waze :lol:
shieldintegration.jpg
Suggestion of further shield integration: inclusion in route bubbles and turn instructions
(49.66 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Caradellino, CM for:
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by Caradellino
Hi guys!
Since yesterday (local time) I have my first shields running in Austria too, which is important for me that I can drive now with shields and not just watch them in Australia when scrolling the client ;)

So it's about time to increase integration of shields. What you might not know, is that the issue of having more than one shield at a time is rather critical in Europe: the European Highway grid is just kind of superimposed on existing national routes of the various european Nations. So allmost every major freeway has at least two shielded designations. For we in Austria have allready taken this into account when coding our streetnames we'd like to assist Waze in getting multiple shields.

I've given it some thougth and came to the conclusion that multiple shields and further integration should be seen together, therefore I forwarded a suggestion to our community manager (For AU I have to share Amit with you, but for Austria I have lizcrime ;))
integrationdouble.jpg
(131.85 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
Upper picture shows todays client display with the actual single shield and the bubbles. The major has not passed the pattern process yet and therefore still the complete streetname in the bubble. The lower picture is, as we think it should be. As you can see, if a multiple shield (one shield looking like multiple shields) is generated in a side by side design, this could be used to fill the bubbles and the routing instructions. You might notice, I integrated your suggestion to let go of the hyphens - though I'm using Austria as an example and test area, I'm working on a common solution for all of us (that's the reason for this post here too)
Btw. this situation is real: we start from a freeway with two European Routes and have one leaving the freeway and following the major, while the other stays with the freeway. (a tripple shield route splitting in two dual shield routes)
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Caradellino, CM for:
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by Caradellino
Sure, I ran in a couple of places with concurrent segments, and I don't think concurrent routes are unique in Europe. We just can't cover any European Freeway (E-route), because there is not a single segment not from a national shielded route. I know just Sweden deliberatly using just the European number...but that's not the point. ;)
I just wanted you to know, what I'm up to that you can bring in your pov to get a most common agreed system on the wishlist to the Waze...
...best before Xmas... :lol:

So I'm glad you like it :mrgreen:
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Caradellino, CM for:
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by Caradellino
What I introduced in that quoted post was just a vision of future shield integration and has been postponed because of lack of Dev-time by Waze for now. So we did not get it yet.

Alt-names are not used at all by the client, so there is no surprise that this goes with shields as well and I wont expect a change here soon.

AT and AU have been easier for in both countries we had implemented the shields from country -wide CM (for AT no wonder but AU is a whole continent) because we both have no state fields and therefore no real structure in states within the country.

I'd really like to go on with the further integration of shields but that would interfear with you and other countries implementing shields to a standard like Australia (Austria is a much simpler case) has already-because l need the devs for this and Waze also wants to ,, finish" the first stage for many countries more before going on.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Caradellino, CM for:
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by Caradellino
OK, got a bit mislead by the post of panther quoting the further integration story.

Yes, in both AT and AU we needed the complete set of shields required, down to the possible number of digits (ie. SR- xx and SR-xxx and SR-xxxx).
Because this is now the focus of Waze concerning shields l can't go on with multiple shields and further integration. IMHO you have the best of chances to get the things you mentioned soon after submitting the pattens. ;)

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Caradellino, CM for:
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by CBenson
I too am seeing shields (for US highways) in the client now that have been missing for some time.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I think that would be great. I'm not holding my breath until it happens.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:we get ambitious and give Waze blank shields for each state, and submit 48 states'
I'd say 53 will DC and the territories.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by invented
Zero shields in Ontario.
invented
Send a message