Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by jasonh300
Saw this one today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348286687.675964.jpg
(37.15 KiB) Downloaded 1885 times
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
State route shields are typically a white circle (oval) with a black number in it. That's a mapping standard. Unless you have a specialized state map, you're not going to see the shields that states with specialized shields use. I've never seen a Louisiana map with the state shields.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
We have not been given any special shields by state. It is at the top of our request list.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Machete808
sketch wrote:Short answer: Don't change the naming standard just to get shields to work.
In Hawaii we changed our naming syntax BACK to standard form, and the shields no longer display. Probably the fact that our freeways are different (H-X as opposed to I-X) complicates things.

Anyone know how to requisition a fix? Thanks!
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by mapcat
txemt wrote:They're starting to appear where they weren't before. I have the first shield in San Antonio since I started using Waze, 3-4 months ago.
Well, if they can disappear without any of the programmers being able to explain it, it makes sense that the opposite would be true.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by n8nagel
I recently noticed that MD seems to have the state highway shields up and running, which led me to check out this topic and also look at some of the shielded roads appearing in my client in MD in WME to see how they were named.

It appears that the only place that the oval shield appears is if "State Hwy xxx" is the primary name. I didn't see any instances of "SH-xxx" so I don't know if that's working or not. When the name of the road is the primary name and "State Hwy xxx" is one of the alternate names, the client seems to use the primary name and not the shield. This may be useful to know in cases where the two names are used interchangeably with no clear preference for one or the other, and you want to force the client to display both the shield and the name, the only downside being that if you alternate segment names then "select entire street" won't work.

In VA, the convention seems to be State Rte xxx or SR-xxx and that isn't working, even if it's a primary name e.g. State Rte 28 N.

Since Virginia seems to be on a trend of going towards using numbers rather than road names (I doubt people moving to the area in the last 5 years or so even know that SR-28 has a name; it used to be Sully Road) I'd think that SR shields would go a long way toward making the map more easily readable. I was hoping that I'd get some insight from this thread so I could go back to the VA forum and try to get everyone to agree on a naming standard to make the shields work, but it looks like we're going to have to wait a while longer unless we want to go to calling everything "State Hwy" which seems wrong to me.

Just my observations...
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
The circles already exist and are working in MD, but only for the "State Hwy xxx" verbiage, they apparently aren't tied to "State Rte xxx" or "SR-xxx".
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by Nacron
Any word on shields being added to future editors?
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid SE | Samsung S22 Ultra 5G
Waze Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... 50k_5c.png

Post by Panther37
Caradellino wrote:Hi guys!
Since yesterday (local time) I have my first shields running in Austria too, which is important for me that I can drive now with shields and not just watch them in Australia when scrolling the client ;)

So it's about time to increase integration of shields. What you might not know, is that the issue of having more than one shield at a time is rather critical in Europe: the European Highway grid is just kind of superimposed on existing national routes of the various european Nations. So almost every major freeway has at least two shielded designations. For we in Austria have already taken this into account when coding our street names we'd like to assist Waze in getting multiple shields.

I've given it some thought and came to the conclusion that multiple shields and further integration should be seen together, therefore I forwarded a suggestion to our community manager (For AU I have to share Amit with you, but for Austria I have lizcrime ;))

{attachment=0}integrationdouble.jpg{/attachment}

Upper picture shows todays client display with the actual single shield and the bubbles. The major has not passed the pattern process yet and therefore still the complete street name in the bubble. The lower picture is, as we think it should be. As you can see, if a multiple shield (one shield looking like multiple shields) is generated in a side by side design, this could be used to fill the bubbles and the routing instructions. You might notice, I integrated your suggestion to let go of the hyphens - though I'm using Austria as an example and test area, I'm working on a common solution for all of us (that's the reason for this post here too)
Btw. this situation is real: we start from a freeway with two European Routes and have one leaving the freeway and following the major, while the other stays with the freeway. (a triple shield route splitting in two dual shield routes)
So how did you get this done? I'd like to to see Waze recognize at least SR-XXXX in the USA. Also I wish it would look into the alternate names for shields.
Panther37
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Panther37
I'd be happy with SR-XXXX giving the default basic circle for all states. I could also make the graphic in both vector and bitmap. I could even make an elongated one for longer routes with three or more characters. (A1A or 28A for example)
Panther37
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message