Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by Kandralla
Has anyone checked to see if there are two identical segments stacked on top of each other there? I've seen a lot of those recently and if for some reason Waze snapped you to one that isn't connect on the other end I imagine it would trigger a reroute.
Kandralla
Send a message
Area Manager for Pittsburgh and Erie, PA

Post by ottonomy
Was there ever a resolution to this at the original spot that was causing a recalculate for all of you? When I noticed this topic, I was immediately interested, because I drive home on this route nearly every day, and I get a recalculate in one particular spot every time. I was surprised, as I read through the thread, to find that the place you were experiencing problems was not as far east as where I do. My guess is that something you did fixed the problem you were chasing down (maybe when Dudley disconnected that one 210 segment and reconnected it the other way round?).

Anyway, here's my UR:
210-at-Wilson-Ave.jpg
(88.16 KiB) Downloaded 1744 times
It's just before passing under Wilson Ave. When I got to the editor to look at it, I found that it happens to be smack dab on top of the junction node where the Lake Ave onramp meets the 210.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... es=3752348

I looked back at where your previous URs were popping up, and they seemed to be in a similar spot, where the Marengo Ave onramp joined the 210, just before the Los Robles Ave overpass.

Dudley, if you're still keeping up with this thread, I'm hoping you can tell me whether it was one of these two segments that you flipped B>A, A>B, and if that seemed to make the difference. It shouldn't, but then there are a lot of things in Waze editing and routing which shouldn't happen, but do...
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 82,4462760

In the case of my persistent recalculate spot, I've noticed that this segment is one way B>A.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=62055488
Looking over a number of other segments of I-210, and finding that many of them are B>A and not causing any problems (as well they shouldn't), I suspect that I am on the wrong track here, but I do find the similarity of those two UR spots to be suspiciously coincidental. Perhaps it's segment corruption, rather than directionality.

Until I found this thread, I was completely convinced that there was just something physical in the vicinity of the Wilson Ave overpass which was tugging at my GPS signal, and that it was not a mapping issue at all. Now, I'm not so sure.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by ottonomy
Well, it might have been more advisable to try just disconnecting and reconnecting first, but after examining the segments again for a couple minutes, I forgot exactly what you had suggested, in what order, and I went ahead and flipped that segment around, so it now travels A>B. I limited my editing to that one change, though. We will soon see if that makes the difference. It's less than a five minute round trip from my home to pass through this spot, so even if I don't have business taking me over those segments, it will be no trouble to try it out.

One note of interest, which I think indicates that it is or was likely a map issue, and not a GPS glitch: Earlier this evening, I set a destination in the client which would send me eastbound on Corson St, past Lake Ave, but not direct me onto I-210 E. When I reached Lake Ave, instead of continuing down Corson St, I entered the freeway. Because the segments of the 210 run so closely parallel to those of Corson St, the client kept me snapped nicely onto Corson, and as I approached and passed under the Wilson Ave bridge, the was NOT a recalculate, as there always has been before when when I've traveled those same segments, but with Waze thinking that I was on the freeway. Does my interpretation of this make sense?
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by ottonomy
The map has updated since I flipped that segment and made it A>B, and I'm still getting the recalculate just before the Wilson Ave overpass, so I'd like to try disconnecting all three segments from the node, and then putting them back together to rebuild it. Would someone be willing to unlock these two segments for me?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 7,62055488
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by ottonomy
Thank you. There's a nice fresh node there now. We'll see what happens. Another thought that occurred to me, if this most recent edit doesn't work, would be to disconnect the Lake Ave on-ramp, delete the short segment of I-210 between that runs between that ramp and the Hill Ave off-ramp, and then extend the 210 segment west of that one to fill the gap, and reconnect the ramp. If my thinking is correct, that would essentially negate any loss of speed data, as those two segments of freeway should have historically identical speeds (there's always a slowdown around Lake Ave, but it usually piles up considerably west of those junctions).

Anyway, these are ready to be locked again (I've included the ramp in this permalink):

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... 57,4480350
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by ottonomy
I forgot to come back to this thread and report that since rebuilding that junction node, I have not had one single re-calculate when passing through that spot. Problem fixed. Jemay, thank you for suggesting that I make changes one at a time, rather than using the shotgun approach to the issue. Now I actually know what fixed it, rather than having to guess which change did the trick.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by paulkok_my
Hi to all. I was searching high and low the forum to see whether anyone is facing this problem which you called "route reset"

By chance I saw your postings. We also faced the same problem over here in Malaysia.

I was facing this problem you called "route reset" which I called it "teleporting" over here at my end.

The reason of using that word is, when you are driving along this road/segment and all of a sudden you find your vehicle is detected by the client you are at another road/segment causing waze to reroute.

I would like to share with you guys I manage to solve it by identifying the exact moment on which road/segment you are driving that causes the route reset/teleport.

After identifying it, delete the affected segment, redraw back the segment and adjust the geometry according to aerial view and save your work. That's it

Hope it helps you guys.

Cheers
Paul Kok
paulkok_my
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message