Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by mike-bronner
Haha :) , I'm in the US, so the day is just starting here. Probable not for another 6 hours at least, as I have other commitments this morning.
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I think I found a bug: enter "barview, or" for a search. Two results, looking identical will come up. Clicking on or selecting either will not result in the Waze map showing the location, but looks like the search is being re-executed.

(There are two Barview, OR cities separated by a few hundred miles.)
Good find! I'll look into that. Behavior is confirmed, I was able to replicate the issue.
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
pvaladares wrote:
mike-bronner wrote:
Timbones wrote:How hard will it be to port this to Chrome/Firefox?
I was thinking about this, but will need to do some more research. In theory, all the meat and potatoes is there, it would just need to be wrapped as a userscript.
robin1979 wrote:Rename the .safariextz to .gz and see for yourself :). Might just work as is (but I'm not that experienced extension coder, but you seem to be :D).
That probably won't work, but you never know. I think the Framework that Safari Extensions are built upon is very different from other toolbars or userscripts like Greasemonkey.
I managed to unpack the .gzip safari extension.
At the Chrome Extensions Page, chrome://chrome/extensions, there is a "Pack extension"...
Help? ;)
Looking into getting this working in Chrome, this requires actually quite a bit of coding, too much for the moment. I have plans for converting this into a UserScript for non-Safari browsers, but that's only once I have this code-base shored up and stable. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news (you could install Safari for Windows -- I know, there isn't any new development for it, but the latest version will support the extension).
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
Patch 0.0.17 is now out -- more in the initial post.

pvaladares, good point. I'll add that in.
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
Thanks for the link to that script. I will look into it.

Yes, I have found there is much more documentation on migrating from Chrome to Safari, than the other way around. I believe the reason is that Safari Extensions can be much more than just scripts, but can actually integrate into the browser functionality. Not sure how in-depth Chrome lets their users get with Extensions.
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
Wow, Safari upgrades fast! I barely had it out for minute, realized the error, uploaded the new version (didn't increment the version number, thinking it was too fast for anyone to have picked it up already).

Uploaded dummer version 18. I'm guessing the reason it didn't work in Windows was the syntax error Alan mentioned above. Sorry for the inconvenience.
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
Sorry if I don't respond right away ... I am inundated with error logs from one user, not sure exactly what's happening. So far 800 error emails since this morning! :) haha
I suspect it's a legacy issue, but will have to research it more.
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
Thanks for the feedback, pvaladares. Regarding your suggestions:

1. This is on the to-do list (see known issues in the original post).
2. I'll have to evaluate that. I might do that in combination with Alan's suggestion of moving the menu down under the waze menu when not in full-screen mode.
3. Also planned. :)
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
pvaladares wrote:My Windows Safari gives 1 error while loading in the status bar. However the WazeBar seems to be fully loaded, with no feature limitation.
This is with v0.0.18? If so, could you check the javascript console and see what the error is? Often it will have 404 errors related to Waze maps, which don't seem to affect anything.

Thanks!
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Mike, I think you know this, but setting for theme isn't persisting.

FYI: I am having so much fun with this tool.
:) You mean me, right? (The tool!) :P

As far as persistence, it should stick within the same browsing session. It will "loose" the setting if you refresh the page or close the browser. Please let me know if it looses settings when not doing those things. I will be adding persistence shortly. :)
mike-bronner
Send a message