Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

WazeBar v0.0.54 - Safari Extension for Waze Map Editor

Post by
After some weeks of work I have put together "WazeBar" (working title, suggestions welcome). The goal is to de-clutter and simplify editing maps using the Waze Map Editor in Safari. Additionally, this extension includes timbones' WME Color Highlights.

Currently WazeBar is only available for Safari. It will also be replacing the previous extension "WME Color Highlights for Safari" going forward.

The extension can be downloaded here: http://www.rocking-mm.com/WazeBar/WazeBar.safariextz.
For more details and complete change log, please visit http://www.rocking-mm.com/WazeBar/.

Please uninstall the WME Color Highlights extension, or WME Color Highlights script, if you have it installed as it may be causing conflicts when installed twice. (WME Color Highlights is included in WazeBar, so you don't need it installed in addition.)

Patches 0.0.52-54 are available:
  • Script Update: updated URO to version 1.18.
  • Bug Fix: issues where integrated WMECH city and editor drop downs were not updating should update correctly now.
  • Bug Fix: permalink button should now correctly update.
Known issues:
  • WMECH options don't update properly in certain situations.
  • URO hover information isn't displayed.
  • JNF doesn't always fix all issues on a node.
These issues may be caused by WazeBar not integrating the scripts as expected, or by specifics with Safari. We are working on resolving them.

New Features Under Consideration:
  • Legend for keyboard shortcuts.
  • InstaPaper integration to take permalinks with you, and follow up on them later, even share them.
  • Add settings control panel to front-end UI, eliminate Safari Extension settings.
Integrated Scripts:
  • WME Color Highlights by timbones. (support thread)
  • UROverview script (support thread)
  • GeoWipe script by bgodette.
  • Junction Node Fix script by bgodette.
Script Integrations under Consideration: http://www.rocking-mm.com/WazeBar/Screenie.jpg

Thanks!
~Mike

POSTER_ID:1991786

Send a message
Last edited by mike-bronner on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:44 am, edited 89 times in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Oh, that's cool! Why didn't you include a screenshot of this badass extension? :D

First issue I found was that after entering a search in the box, I can't make the list of results go away without clicking on one of them.

Where is the permalink?

The bright yellow highlight (I can't remember what it is for) is on by default. I'd like to be able to have it not highlight neighboring segments all the time when a segment is selected.

Tooltips are needed onmouseover.

Clicking on your username could bring up points and editing rank info.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
1. Cool.
2. Ok. Two suggestions:
2a. Make it a chain-link type icon. I think that's perhaps more universal?
2b. One should be able to get the URL underlying it from the contextual menu "copy link" just like a regular hyperlink. I often have changes pending when I find something I want to permalink, and with the original Permalink, I can easily copy that link without having to save changes first.
2c. The original Permalink at the bottom of the map didn't really take up that much space...
3. Yeah, I figured as much.
4. Cool.
5. Yes, it is there, but I was kinda thinking something would be hiding behind there as there was with the "WazeBar" title. ;) No biggee. Really not necessary, actually.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This may not be behavior you can change, but when I have an editor window open and in use, and I install the extension, the native Waze elements disappear from the page, but the WazeBar doesn't appear until I reload the page. Usually, so I don't lose my location and because the permalink is gone, I just reload the /editor base URL and it's good.

This is some really solid work, Mike. I am very happy with this overall.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mike-bronner wrote:On another note, I have contacted the developer of ExtTools and am hopeful that they give permission to integrate it.
There are some features which are heavily abused by people just looking for points. I would carefully consider which features to add.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Superb. Again. Being redundant.

I'm just now looking at this on Win7 as well.

I would like to request the ability to not use the full editing window/full screen. Could you make that an option? Or is it already and I've missed the setting?

The extension fails to work at all on the editor beta (not your fault because you don't have access!) and, in fact, appears to disable the editor altogether.

Is there a line of debug output still enabled on window resize? I cannot resize the window, except for the maximize/restore button. If I try to drag the window larger, I get an alert on mousedown and on mouseup.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mike-bronner wrote:I was going to add that option in the next update, I kind of figured that might be useful. Just to get an idea, what would your impetus be for using the original size instead of full-screen? (Just trying to figure out what the different use-cases are for that.)
Based on what we understand from Waze, the editing window maximum is set on purpose. This viewable area is directly related to server and network load in terms of preparing road images and sending them to the client. If everyone uses a 25% increased editor viewable area, that is potentially a 50% increase in server and/or network load. (There is a lot of caching going on, so 50% is approximate.) I personally have no issue with the smaller editing window and would, for the sake of overall editor/server-side performance, choose to use it as such.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mike-bronner wrote:I'll bet that JavaScript is erroring out in beta, preventing it from continuing to load. What is the beta URL, so I can turn the extension off for beta.
Though it's password protected, I don't want to post. It is listed at the top of Timbones' highlighting userscript.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mike-bronner wrote:Oh, also please post if you are experiencing issues while using the beta editor. (Theoretically the extension shouldn't even be running in the beta editor, but you never know.) If you do suspect an issue, please take a look at the error console output to see if there are any errors.
Why don't you enable it for the beta, too? It seems that your fix for the screen setup in the production editor has also fixed it in the beta. The only thing now is the Toolbar is half there: the Find box shows, but the buttons do not. Also, since it "isn't loading" for the beta, the WazeBar doesn't appear at all. With the number of users so small who can get into the beta editor, I think you should enable it so we can troubleshoot. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mike-bronner wrote:PS: How do you get into the beta program? (Not that I need to be, but I'm always glad to help out and test -- and it would give me full access to the functionality just to ensure everything works right.)
I don't think there is any documentation on that. I've wondered myself at times...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message