Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by CBenson
ABCStore wrote:You can only make a u-turn if there's no traffic the other way and that's not the case here. It is a bug either in maps or in the routing algorithm.
Or lack of data. Waze might not know that the traffic the other way delays the suggested U-turn if wazers don't go that way. So another way to fix the route may be to drive the suggested route so waze learns that it is not the faster route.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by HandofMadness
Are these types of turns faster? Sure.
Should Waze be routing them? I don't think so. The sheer number of UR's based on these I feel is reason enough.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by harling
CBenson wrote:If that is left turn signal is red for much longer than the red for going straight through, then it seems conceivable that on average its faster to go straight and make the U where there is no left turn signal.
An intersection near my house tends to get a backlog of cars in the morning. Sometimes it is faster to go a block around it--three times the distance, encompassing a parking lot and a very narrow side road--than wait in line to go through a simple stop sign. If the left-turn light is short enough for left-turning traffic to back up at your intersection, going straight through and then doubling back and turning right might very well be faster at certain times of day.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by iainhouse
It's confusing, I know, but Waze doesn't learn your routes - as in which way you go. It learns your from-to combinations.

If you use it every day for your commute to work, it will soon learn that when you start navigating from home you are normally going to work and suggest that destination. Similarly when you leave work, it will automatically offer to route you home. Which combination of roads it then chooses to route you on isn't "learnt" - except to the extent that your travel on each segment improves the data it has to work from.

It's possible that it can learn more than 2 common journeys - say home->work, work->bar, bar-> home. I don't know - I turned the feature off after it learnt work->home because about 1 time in 3 I go to see my kids straight from work so it wasn't very helpful.
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by jasonh300
IME, to get Waze to learn a route that you think is better, you have to drive the suggested route a few times and then drive your route a few times. If Waze still routes the original way, then the route you think is faster is not actually faster.

By driving each route, you either verify or correct the timing on that route. Then Waze will still make the choice on the route that is mathematically faster.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Mike-1323
jasonh300 wrote:IME, to get Waze to learn a route that you think is better, you have to drive the suggested route a few times and then drive your route a few times. If Waze still routes the original way, then the route you think is faster is not actually faster.

By driving each route, you either verify or correct the timing on that route. Then Waze will still make the choice on the route that is mathematically faster.
This!

You have to drive the suggested route to give Waze the actual speed data for that time of day and traffic conditions. Waze may be using the default speeds for segments of the navigation route that are higher than the actual speeds for those segments. Without real user data Waze will continue to route what it believe (based on incorrect assumptions) to be the faster route.

That said, if you do drive the suggested slower route a few times (and it is actually slower) and Waze continues to choose it as the preferred fastest route there may be a map error in your desired route that causes Waze to discard it.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by txemt
Did you pull back each intersection to see if there's an extra road segment stuck somewhere it's not supposed to be?
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by zulater
I guess there's a wording problem as I have this issue.
Waze says it learns your 'prefferred' route. It definitely isn't doing this for me. I realize the other route it suggests could be faster but it has more traffic and is a longer distance with some slow parts and some fast parts. It uses more fuel and is more stressful (more idiots). But waze keeps suggesting it. Though it says the route I take is faster in the morning.
zulater
Send a message

Post by zulater
Yeah, I had hoped that waze would be a nice route determination. As in it would learn my preferred route then if there was an accident or a huge delay on the preferred route it would let me know and suggest the alternate at that time. This isn't the case and as such it's easier for me to just check google maps before I leave and see if there is a wreck or a traffic jam. I still turn on waze and report issues but it's just not as helpful as it really could (or in my mind should) be.
If it could hook into google's traffic stream that would be perfect and I would even pay for that.
zulater
Send a message