When maping a Landmark do you????????

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

When maping a Landmark do you????????

Postby Mr_GO_HERD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:02 pm

When mapping a Landmark, do you jsut outline the physical building or do you outline the building as well as the parking lot/grounds surrounding the actual building. I orginally was just doing the buildings themselves, but then went back and expanded it to include the parking lots/grounds as well.

Is there a correct way? Im guessing their is but havent looked yet. :shock:
Mapping from the plains of Illinois to the mountains of West Virginia!
[ img ]
Mr_GO_HERD

Re: When maping a Landmark do you????????

Postby Mr_GO_HERD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 pm

I found this...

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Crea ... a_landmark

So it sounds like maybe I should just map the actual building to avoid anything as this describes.
Mapping from the plains of Illinois to the mountains of West Virginia!
[ img ]
Mr_GO_HERD

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Make sure it needs a landmark though. In the US we primarily use the landmark function for major landmarks like schools, hospitals, parks, lakes, military bases, etc.

Waze doesn't use the landmarks for navigation, so the only reason to add them is for point of reference. There's no need to landmark local businesses.

Also, Waze will only display landmarks that are above a certain size. Your typical restaurant, including parking lot is too small to show up.

You can use the "parking lot" landmark to prevent Waze from creating system generated errors about missing roads, but how often you should do this seems to be under some debate.

Here's a good thread discussing the creation of a "Best Practices" page for landmark's in the US, as well as some debate about when to use different types:
viewtopic.php?f=276&t=26005
CM: Thailand CM: USA
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Re: When maping a Landmark do you????????

Postby Timbones » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:02 pm

shawndoc wrote:Also, Waze will only display landmarks that are above a certain size. Your typical restaurant, including parking lot is too small to show up.

...and another thing: complicated shapes get drastically simplified when shown on the client, so mapping the exact contours of a building is a waste of time. Four points is usually enough for most small to medium landmarks.

via mobile
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby xtago » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:49 am

I just do the fence line area, instead of buildings, this way it's quick and easy for the editor and the device trying to show it.

If you only did the building I wouldn't see much point also I think for POI side it could be good to be linked to the road that it joins onto and a little back from the roads it doesn't join onto via driveways etc.

If you did a shopping centre building only and it was 100 yards from the road side you probably won't see that landmark at all even while driving by the landmark.

Maybe for a uni/collage you could do a fence line landamark and use land marks for the buildings so you have a general map of the site overall.
xtago

Postby mapcat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:01 pm

xtago wrote:Maybe for a uni/collage you could do a fence line landamark and use land marks for the buildings so you have a general map of the site overall.

Please don't do that. There's no need for building landmarks within another landmark covering the whole area. Maybe it would be worthwhile to identify an arena/stadium or important museum on the campus, but not every building. The result is a massive landmark with many words scrambled together or appearing at random. Waze can't tell what landmarks are more important than the others, so, as with city names, it just guesses.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm

mapcat wrote:
xtago wrote:Maybe for a uni/collage you could do a fence line landamark and use land marks for the buildings so you have a general map of the site overall.

Please don't do that. There's no need for building landmarks within another landmark covering the whole area. Maybe it would be worthwhile to identify an arena/stadium or important museum on the campus, but not every building. The result is a massive landmark with many words scrambled together or appearing at random. Waze can't tell what landmarks are more important than the others, so, as with city names, it just guesses.

And beyond that, all landmarks seem to appear the same colour, grey. Only parks stand out as different since they're green. The client can't show different landmarks-within-landmarks if they're the same colour so it does look the jumbled mess.

The only exception I've found is when I put a stadium inside a park, and it looks nice because of the contrasting colours. Everything else has been terrible.

Since landmarks have so little use in Waze beyond aesthetics on the client map, I've taken a few parking lot landmarks and expanded them to cover the entire shopping centres they represent, named them for the shopping centre and that solves two problems at once: it prevents Waze from throwing errors AND gives the large shopping centres a visible landmark with name on the map.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
[ img ]
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby KB_Steveo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:08 am

Has anyone noticed the slightly different green color of gas station landmarks in WME? I wonder what the change is for, maybe something to do with the landmarks internationally, since Waze uses them in the ROTW for more than just points of reference?
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator
KB_Steveo

Postby Bigbear3764 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:27 am

Noticed it too, also see they added it to the road,roundabout,landmark tab at top with parking lots. I hope we get to edit gas stations soon.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby TheGridExe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:59 am

mapcat wrote:

See that's the problem with my university right now. Someone suggested that I should delete the huge university landmark and put the university's name as the city so the app would display everything. I didn't want to do that since I don't know if it would mess up searches within the app pertaining to the university.
TheGridExe
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor