The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Is there a way to save route statistics?

Post by biggoomba
I would really like to use waze to help me plan the best route to work. In order to do that I need to keep track of how long a specific route took and where I spent most of my time on that route. I need to identify traffic lights that take a long time to get through or roads that are always slow. Once I have this information compiled, I could examine the different routes in the map and determine the best route or come up with now routes.

Is that something that can be done with waze? Even a total time history for a given route would be nice. I could also use this kind of info to plan other routes to places like fotball games, favorite resteraunts, dropping kids off at school. Would help me determine when to leave and on what days certain routes are bad on certain days.

If these features do not exist and are not planned, can people build add-ons / plugins that would add these kind of features?
biggoomba

POSTER_ID:10109440

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
No, but that "analysis" you want to do manually is exactly what Waze does automatically. Once there are enough Wazers in the area all contributing to this data, Waze compiles road speeds in at least as small as 10-minute intervals all day long, so it knows when roads are slower and faster all day. Segment transit times are tracked separately depending on which direction you travel on any intersection, and this, does, of course, take into account traffic lights because they affect the natural road speed.

I see no need to manually work all this out when this is precisely what Waze was built to do automatically.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by biggoomba
AlanOfTheBerg, I do see your point but the problem is that there are very few people traveling from where I live to where I work. Obviously I will share some parts of other people journey and at any given moment Waze may be able to calculate a good route but that gives me no insight into trends over time.

Say its Sunday night and i need to plan the morning activities. I can look back through my route data and see that Monday, it typically takes me 10 minutes longer to drop my kids off at school and 15 minutes longer to get to work from school. That tells me I need to schedule a meeting 30 minutes later than I would if it were Thursday. Furthermore, I could use that information to determine when I usually make it to work. Then I could let people know things like, I usually get to work at 9:45 on Mon / Wed, 9:30 on Tue / Thur and 9 on Friday.

I am the type of person who doesn't just want the answer, I also what to know and understand why the answer is what it is.

I also like to know how long it takes me to get places and to figure out how best to get somewhere. It makes the freaking tedious morning drive a little less so if I am actively trying new route and see how they compare to other routes.

Having access to route statistics can be useful in other ways too.

I guess it's a moot point anyway. Waze can't do what I want so I will have to look for something else or build it myself.
biggoomba
Send a message