The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

[Search] - Autocomplete now include Waze Addresses in Beta!!

Post by
Hi!

We are excited to share that the highly requested change in search result behaviour is ready for you to test!

What are we changing?
Until now, when you searched for an address in autocomplete mode, you only received results from Google.
Autocomplete now includes results for addresses from both Google and Waze.

Here’s what it looks like
Below is autocomplete mode.

Before
The address in this example was added directly to the Waze map. It doesn’t exist in Google Maps, so no results are found:
Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 3.38.40 PM.png
After
With the change in search result behavior, this Waze address comes up as an autocomplete result:
unnamed (4).png

How can you help?
If you are a Waze Beta User:
1. Use Waze as you normally would and keep an eye out for search result behavior in autocomplete mode.
2. Added an address which doesn’t exist in Google maps? Great! Look for it in autocomplete mode and make sure it comes up, looks as it should and can be navigated to.

Good to know
* New addresses are included in autocomplete results ~48 hours after the address was added to the Waze map.
* In beta, the location marker has a blue center when showing Waze addresses and venues, and a white center when showing Google results:
unnamed (5).png
See anything unusual?
* Which address you searched for
* Your location
* Screenshot of the results you received

You can report all the feedback here.

Thanks,
Ruben

POSTER_ID:17527666

Send a message
Last edited by LostInMyMaps on Tue May 25, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove sticky

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Another benefit to this is that Google addresses now redirect at least to some Waze HNs and RPPs that have no city. This appears to be in effect for all users now.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Last edited by Inactive user -1697532064- on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Vespucci41 wrote:
jm6087 wrote: Will there be consideration in changing from a blue dot to something more obvious, like a "W" in the middle?

Will there be consideration in making it standard without having to go into debug mode?

Making the pin obvious it is a Waze place as opposed to a Google place to the normal user, not in debug mode, will go a long way to being more user friendly to the app users.
Currently there is no plan on changing that.
I wonder if the blue/white pins are not default, because many white pins redirect to Waze results, and it is not obvious to users what search result has been redirected from Google to Waze. Is that the reason? Linked Google places and addresses redirect to Waze places, and Google addresses also redirect if there's a nearby Waze address with relatively similar data in it.
Vespucci41 wrote:Added an address which doesn’t exist in Google maps? Great! Look for it in autocomplete mode
So are we only supposed to see Waze addresses that don't exist in Google? That seems to be how it works, mostly, and it was implied in your first post, but I see people saying that it "doesn't work" in CenterCode because they are only seeing Google results for a given address search.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by Ardillon42
Does this kind of address works : "23Bis Allée de champs, Maville", "42B hitchhiker's guide, Galaxy", "21Ter another french, Address" ?
Ardillon42
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by asph4lt
Vespucci41 wrote:
Does this kind of address works : "23Bis Allée de champs, Maville", "42B hitchhiker's guide, Galaxy", "21Ter another french, Address" ?
Alphanumeric should work for Waze addresses please let us know if not.
Not work.

69bis Place Bellecour, Lyon

69ter Place Bellecour, Lyon

69a Place Bellecour, Lyon
ojlaw wrote:is anyone else seeing this feature not working? i have debug mode on, i see blue dots on places, but no HN or RPP i search comes back with the waze result.
+1
asph4lt
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 5
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeopedia-files/9/9a/Signature_asph4lt.jpg
🌍Local Champs 🥖Country Manager France 📍Regional Manager - Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes 🚧 Team Closures
🚗Editez la carte

Post by dspille
Very excited to hear this news!
dspille
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dspille
Vespucci41 wrote:
Good to know
* New addresses are included in autocomplete results ~48 hours after the address was added to the Waze map.
* In beta, the location marker has a blue center when showing Waze addresses and venues, and a white center when showing Google results:
Regarding the blue center for the location marker, will the blue center only appear for any new HNs or RPPs that are added to the map? I ask because I am noticing that existing HNs and RPPs that I have added months ago do not seem to appear with the blue center in debug mode on beta.
dspille
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by glenan56
Hi

On Android bêta V4.54.0.3 autocomplete seems not to work anymore with same tests I did in V4.54.0.2

Envoyé de mon SM-N950F en utilisant Tapatalk
glenan56
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by glenan56
Thanks for your answer.
I think that it is difficult for editors not to know from where is coming data address.
It is as difficult to edit well as to answer to update request when People are driven to bad adress.
It should be clear for everybody (editors and wazers) from where are coming solutions that waze displays. Google or waze.

glenan56
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by glenan56
We had the same idea. A G or a W icon to know from what database is coming from the searching results.
With or Without autocomplete.
Everybody must know.
The waze editors don't work for Google but for waze. The errors must be clearly identified.

glenan56
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by jalondon628
So what if it does exist in Google and we've added it in Waze? With PPs, we still can get the blue dot in beta, so would that then also apply to addresses?
jalondon628
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Joel London (jalondon628)
US Country Manager
US South Central Region multi-state manager (Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas)
Based in Dallas, TX

https://s.waze.tools/s0500.png