Railroad Crossing now Enabled!

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Railroad Crossing now Enabled!

Postby jm6087 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:22 pm

wrocco wrote:Are you sure? Pic posted shows something else.

Yes, your RRCs are backward, even looking at the pictures of the original post. The road side of the RRC is on the side going towards the track.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:47 pm

pcazz1 wrote:I just got this feature and HATE the implementation. Every time it goes off it is not useful, startling and annoying.

The things I don't like:

2) It uses a loud alert sound. I use Android Auto and other notifications are a voice alert. The loud, disruptive chime is distracting and potentially dangerous.

4) I find it useless. I don't need an alert to tell me there is a railroad crossing

You may find it useless and don't feel you need an alert to tell you about a railroad crossing, but every year many people either ignore or don't see railroad crossings and get hit by trains. There are also many cases where people turn on to a railroad track by mistake because it is dark. The alert is designed to alert drivers to these dangers. This is also why the alert if loud, it is trying to save lives. And I believe that getting hit by a train is probably more dangerous than the alert designed to prevent it.

Hopefully this "useless" feature will save some lives which makes it worth while.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 pm

derun wrote:I must be one of the beta testers as I have this notification alert when I am 1/2 mile from a crossing. Is there a way to disable the audio tone and just allow the popup to show? The alert tone is quite aggravating already as I live a few blocks from a railroad crossing so the tone comes on every trip home.

Yes, there is a setting in the app to disable the audio.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:22 pm

cjkasseckert wrote:I agree. How do you disable? I don’t see an option in settings to disable the railroad crossing alerts. They are quite distracting and I don’t want them on.

There is an option in the settings to disable railroad crossing alerts.

Under Map Display and then Reports
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:22 pm

BatmanandRobbins wrote:I am following; trying to get the railroad crossing disabled!
Seriously what is the purpose of this notification? There are already signs on the road and railroad tracks on the display. Having the big popup is annoying and useless!

I hope you have been able to disable the alert.

You may find it useless and don't feel you need an alert to tell you about a railroad crossing, but every year many people either ignore or don't see railroad crossings and get hit by trains. There are also many cases where people turn on to a railroad track by mistake because it is dark. The alert is designed to alert drivers to these dangers. This is also why the alert is there, it is trying to save lives. And I believe that getting hit by a train is probably more dangerous than the alert designed to prevent it.

Hopefully this "useless" feature will save some lives which makes it worth while.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 am

Wilsteady wrote:Hello, I've had a quick search and not found my answer, so apologies if the question has already been answered.

How do we add Railroad Crossings to the Map for Australia? I can see the option shows up in Map Editor, however it's greyed out, and there are no level crossings near me in Brisbane listed on the Map at all.

The feature is probably locked to at least a rank 2 editor, maybe 3.

If you are interested in learning more about quality map editing, I would suggest you reach out the the Australian Community and join their communication network.

Post something in their forum - https://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=56
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 pm

I wish more drivers were as responsible as you, the hard fact is that there are way too many drivers who don't pay attention, don't use their mirrors, text while driving, run red lights, pull out in front of 18 wheelers, listen to their radio so loud it vibrates my vehicle, flip you off for allowing an ambulance with lights and sirens to proceed, DWHUA, etc.

TL;DL They think they are the only driver on the road and everyone else does not know how to drive.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Kkervinjones » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Now this is public knowledge, is it safe to explain to users that these dummy cameras are set to become Rail crossing alerts?

There's already been a few queries on Reddit and Twitter.
Keith
UK Country Manager and Local Champ
Area Manager for North West England and the Isle of Man
Google Pixel 2

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Kkervinjones
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby kumiankka » Mon May 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Vespucci41 wrote:Not currently planned if you have an available open data source, you can submit it here.

Thanks,
R

I have a few questions regarding this data import:

Some, if not all, data sources require extensive filtering in order to remove duplicates, pedestrian-only crossings etc., and not all web sites are available in English either. So, do you want raw data, like in a form of web site of the data owner, or pre-filtered data in some other format, like a file in user's personal cloud?

What is the preferred format for the file? CSV? ESRI Shapefile? OGC GeoPackage? XML using some yet-to-be-defined schema?

Etc., etc.
kumiankka a.k.a. the rubber duck. Quack quack!

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
kumiankka

Re: It will not stay off

Postby kumiankka » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:05 am

blue201962 wrote:is remarkably annoying to local driver

This is one of the main problems with every single navigator on the market. The app does not know how much local knowledge the user has about the area. I'm quite sure that you wouldn't mind the railroad crossing warning when driving in area where you haven't driven before. The same applies to all static warnings and even turn-by-turn instructions in general; borderline annoying when commuting but critically important when going to a road trip.

Another thing to remember about those big red flashy things is that they dont't always work. There might be techinical issues but the train does not know that. Even if the boom is up it does not mean that its 100% safe to go pedal to the metal over the crossing.
kumiankka a.k.a. the rubber duck. Quack quack!

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
kumiankka

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor