Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Time based turn restrictions

Post by chunkmonkey
I know Waze at this point can't handle time based turn restrictions, I have searched the wiki and didn't see a mention of the best way to handle these. I have seen a few user reported errors of Waze directing them through a non allowed turn. Yet this turn is allowed 21 of the 24 hour period in a day. Is it best to leave that turn allowed, and close the occasional error, or restrict it and force other all day routes?
chunkmonkey

POSTER_ID:707836

Send a message

Post by CBenson
therubinator wrote:In this example, there's no way for the driver to know a priori that this left turn at Marlee and Eglinton is illegal from 7am-7pm. He's then forced to do a u-turn and make a left turn back onto Eglinton into busy traffic.
Sure if the turn is illegal from 7am-7pm, it should likely be marked as restricted. But the counter point is that waze is a commuting app. You don't know a priori that the left turn is illegal, you know from experience that it is illegal. Say the turn was only illegal from 7am-9am. Then if the left turn is unrestricted and waze routed you through the turn between 7am-9am you would know to go the other way. However, if you restrict the turn and waze routes you down Ellington to Oakwood at 5pm, you have no way of knowing whether the route through the now restricted turn is faster or not. Again, safety and the added inconvenience to those that aren't familiar with the turn restriction may well outweigh this advantage of leaving the turn restriction open (especially, if as Weeezer is postulating, the route through the restricted turn isn't ever all that much faster).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
therubinator wrote:If Waze is strictly a commuting app, then I wasn't aware. You're saying then that we should damn the inexperience non-commuters and let them figure this out on their own?
We can only weigh the pros and cons of restricting or not restricting the turn. There is never a perfect answer because the are always both significant pros and cons. I'm saying we should weight the commuter experience more heavily than the non-commuter experience.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
therubinator wrote:Anyway...I think when/if Waze supports time-based restrictions, it's going to have a significant impact on the routes offered in the app (for the better). These restrictions can have far reaching effects on the efficiency of the routes sometimes.
Yes! (but please let it be when not if).
I live what Mike said:
Mike-1323 wrote:The lack of time-based restrictions on both turns and direction, as well as the lack of HOV support make Waze much less useful around here. The DC area is full of such restrictions and failing to recognize them mean that Waze can't be trusted to route through certain areas.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
At this point, I would advocate the simplest rule. Restricting the turn seems to me to be the simplest.

I'm curious what people would do here:
http://goo.gl/maps/aGc6B
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-76.95 ... s=64428633
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
therubinator wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Personally, I think they should be all restricted so that Waze never tells someone to make an illegal turn.
FWIW, that would be my preference too.
I have been converted to agree with this. I agree because it is the most simple rule.

My previous position was that people should follow the signs (and commuters can ask for alternative routes) when waze routes though a time restricted turn. Waze provides more information to the user if it is routing through a time restricted turn rather than avoiding it. However, that information is only useful to the user if the user knows how the turn is set. Currently, the situation is too chaotic with different editors making different judgement calls. Thus, I now agree that all time restricted turns should be restricted.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
The routing server will take into account the estimated time that you will reach the turn. Thus, when you input your destination at 3:45 pm the routing server will not route you through turn because it calculates you will reach the turn after 4 pm. No reroute is involved, the initial route will correctly avoid the turn.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by chunkmonkey
Well it seems this is a mixed bag on this issue. In this case I restricted the turn even though its allowed 21 hours a day. My reasoning being that it's one block off a HWY, and there is a safer 24hr left hand turn with a turn lane 2 blocks up.

My next question is, should I just mark this as solved any time UR error pops there saying this turn should be aloud? or what is the best way to handle this now?

Thanks in advance,
ChunkMonkey.
chunkmonkey
Send a message

Post by chunkmonkey
Would be nice if you could leave a message with a solved (to explain how) or not identified (to get more info).
chunkmonkey
Send a message

Post by chunkmonkey
Excellent idea I will add a tiny one so its not a eye sore but at least adds a note as to why I did this, to other edits that are not in a mad rush for points and are actually trying to fix things for the sake of the maps guidance.

It would sure be nice if this was high on the list of Waze's upcoming features, time restricted turns, and HOV lanes, both of which Vancouver has tons of and those two features could make Waze a much more complete turn by turn navigation option. I would have put more of my time on those two items, than face book integration personally . But then again, they need users to make the system work and facebook is another way to get noticed. I also don't know how Waze internals work, turn by turn and HOV could be a complete redesign of there structure to make that happen, but it is needed to be a premium nav service.
chunkmonkey
Send a message