Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Restricted Driving Areas - now available in WME prod!

Post by Vespucci41
Hi Editors,

We are super excited to announce that Restricted Driving Areas are now available in WME!

Restricted Driving Areas will allow you to create a polygon and apply to it the TBRs now available on segments.

All the in the following doc:

We are here for any question!

Thank you,
Ruben
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team

POSTER_ID:17527666

Send a message
Last edited by LostInMyMaps on Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove sticky

Post by gutrixio
Thanks for this tool and all the detailed information. In my opinion, the permalink feature is a very good one for requesting changes.
gutrixio
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
ojlaw wrote:is this meant to be available in USA for production WME?
Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 3.00.34 PM.PNG
Currently there are no restricted areas in US
fuchserl wrote:Is it working in the app together with passes for exceptions?
WME alone is useless.
Yes once you create a restricted area in WME and following a tile build the driver will be triggered with the pop up and possibility to add passes for exception.
If you would like to use a new pass in your TBR you can request it to your SCM.
yaacobyy wrote:There is a bug in the display of the lock level. It shows Auto(1) and it changes to Auto(5) after saving the area and cannot be changed. Please explain if the lock level will be fixed like that, or will it be flexible in the future. Also it is good to know if the default lock level is set by country or is it global.
The default lock level is 5, it can be set by country.
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
avozetta wrote:Hi!

We have started to look into this in Sweden as we today have one restricted area in Stockholm, or rather a street, Hornsgatan, https://www.waze.com/sv/editor?env=row& ... ,257938048

One more thing to handle here is that it is allowed to cross the street but not drive on it, is that possible to solve as it is designed today? Marking it as one complete zone will block crossing the street I guess? Adding a zone for each segment maybe but that will result in many passes for the user to add in the app?

Second, are the passes created via this WME-tool or are they created elsewhere?

What is TBS?
Indeed this is not best suited for a restricted street, even more in your case where crossing is allowed.
Even restricting only the specific segment will restrict also driving through it.
So i am not sure we have to day a solution for your use case.

The pass are created by your Staff Community Manager, and once created will be visible in the WME.

TBR - Time Base Restriction, the restriction you ca add through the panel and add the dedicated permit
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
avozetta wrote:
Vespucci41 wrote:
avozetta wrote:Hi!

We have started to look into this in Sweden as we today have one restricted area in Stockholm, or rather a street, Hornsgatan, https://www.waze.com/sv/editor?env=row& ... ,257938048

One more thing to handle here is that it is allowed to cross the street but not drive on it, is that possible to solve as it is designed today? Marking it as one complete zone will block crossing the street I guess? Adding a zone for each segment maybe but that will result in many passes for the user to add in the app?

Second, are the passes created via this WME-tool or are they created elsewhere?

What is TBS?
Even restricting only the specific segment will restrict also driving through it.
So i am not sure we have to day a solution for your use case.
Thanks for the feedback, just to elaborate my example of a solution and connected to your feedback:

If we created two separate zones on street "Hornsgatan" (red rectangles), not including the crossing street "Lignagatan", crossing street "Hornsgatan" will not be affected or?

E.g. passing through on Hornsgatan will not be possible if you do not have a pass, but crossing it will.

I know that this proposed solution will create many passes to cover the complete street/zone, but the logic should work or?
The problem is not the number of passes since we can use the same pass for more than one area.
If a restricted area polygon intersect a segment the whole segment will be restricted, so the proposed solution will not solve the problem.
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
atrophicshiner wrote:
Dark_Hunter wrote:Any chance for New Zealand to get this soon? :)
If this is a required feature you should probably discuss it in the New Zealand specific forum and/or contact your community leadership who can request this gets activated via your Community Manager.
Indeed you can reach out to the country coordinators that can request the activation from the Staff Community manager.
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
Fkzy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:43 am Are restricted areas functional when embedded into another restricted area?
Location of two smalls areas embedded in a large area: https://waze.com/fr/editor?env=row&lon= ... 80.1069767
The small areas are apparently not operational.
Several URs, and "Route Speed" script disregards the small areas.

The restriction would affect the routing behavior and the route provided. 
If the user is not allowed to drive in the external area, he would receive the popup alerting him for the external area only.
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
AdamB1995 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:27 pm Hello all, how can i gain access to this tool for my country (Trinidad & Tobago). I am the country manager there and it is locked when i hover over the icon in the editor. The help will be appreciated!

The feature is indeed enabled by country,
You can reach out to your SCM explaining what's the use case, so we can understand if the restricted areas are the right tool to address it.

Once understood we can proceed from there.

Thank you!
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by yaacobyy
There is a bug in the display of the lock level. It shows Auto(1) and it changes to Auto(5) after saving the area and cannot be changed. Please explain if the lock level will be fixed like that, or will it be flexible in the future. Also it is good to know if the default lock level is set by country or is it global.
yaacobyy
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message