The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

New Notifications Section (Bell icon)

Post by maiapas
Hi everyone,

Hope you,re doing well.

We are happy to update you that the new Notifications Section in the header (bell icon) has been enabled in production. :!:

[*]Forum messages and notifications will appear in this section
[*]You can read the message in the notification pop up tab or read it in the forum
[*]You can delete notifications and messages using the trash can
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.37.06.png
(116.17 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.40.42.png
(156.14 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Thank you,

Maia
maiapas
Waze Team
Waze Team
Answers: 3

POSTER_ID:17866785

Send a message
Last edited by LostInMyMaps on Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove sticky

Post by EloheiYishi
I think the idea to remove the notifications from the feed is good. However, I have to agree with @iainhouse about the location - if it has to be close to the User icon (which seems OK), it would be better to redesign the left part of the screen and put it there. After we have the new Events tab, it would make a perfect sense to move the User and Bell icons next to the Waze logo (even moving the drop down for Livemap to the right). The logo itself can undergo a design change too, so the interface fits better, if needed.

The "Current live map" text should be changed and there should be design consistency (between the different Waze sites and products). Here is an example of this not happening now.
2021-04-16_19-28-10_msedge.png
(4.99 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
2021-04-16_19-28-19_msedge.png
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
I suggest that the Waze logo be copied from the livemap web site and the drop-down menu option be changed to Livemap. We all know what it is, so no need for the "Current" prefix. Here is a quick proposal.
WME UI proposal 2021-04-16 EloheiYishi.png
(8.49 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
As you can see, there is a lot of space left. And, this design solution will leave the right part of the screen completely for the edit functions and you will be able to move the layers button in the top bar, so it will not move so "ugly" when you activate the Street View. Please note that the current effect is a real work stoppper and also greatly reduces the visible map area even on a 27" screen.

Please take this into consideration. Thanks!
EloheiYishi
Area Manager
Area Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by iainhouse
Hey Maia. I'd like to ask about the design decisions around this.
  • Was it necessary to insert a button into an existing array of buttons, disrupting the location of all those other buttons?
  • Why is this item with the map editing controls, when it has nothing to do with map editing? Wouldn't it be better somewhere on the left near the feed, where everyone has been seeing their notifications for the last few years?
We understand that you want to make changes to the UI to deal with new features, but some effort expended to avoid disrupting our editing workflows, or at least some sort of justification for doing so would go a long way towards maintaining goodwill amongst the experienced editor community. ;)

Would I also be correct in assuming that notifications that would formerly have appeared in the feed (PMs, announcements etc) will no longer appear there now?
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by iainhouse
Ah - I remember that. As I recall, the justification for putting the User icon in the top right was "this is common practice on other websites", even though WME had always had user info on the left and edit controls on the right. I thought that was a pretty poor justification for scrambling the user interface back then and I said so.

So this is just an extension of that decision, causing all the edit controls to change position for a 3rd time (after you also moved some of them onto the map area).

I'd forgotten about that because I'd already added functions to WME FixUI to revert those previous changes, so I hadn't had to deal with those disruptions for long. Just as I've already had to update WME FixUI for the latest change, because I was fed up of clicking on the wrong button to save.

:|
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by jm6087
I would like to add my "suggestion" to hopefully be considered as an option.

I like the fact that the notifications have been moved from the feeds, how about taking the bell and creating its own tab in the left panel. Since it is its own tab, you can then change the color of the tab when the notification count is >1

This gets it out of the way but is still very functional.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by lg1992
If I get a new PM while I'm in WME, the notification shows a tiny 1, but I dislike that the counter of unread PMs in the forum is reset to 0.
lg1992
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Leonid, Country Manager, Israel

lg1992
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Leonid, Country Manager, Israel

Post by maiapas
iainhouse wrote:Hey Maia. I'd like to ask about the design decisions around this.
  • Was it necessary to insert a button into an existing array of buttons, disrupting the location of all those other buttons?
  • Why is this item with the map editing controls, when it has nothing to do with map editing? Wouldn't it be better somewhere on the left near the feed, where everyone has been seeing their notifications for the last few years?
We understand that you want to make changes to the UI to deal with new features, but some effort expended to avoid disrupting our editing workflows, or at least some sort of justification for doing so would go a long way towards maintaining goodwill amongst the experienced editor community. ;)

Would I also be correct in assuming that notifications that would formerly have appeared in the feed (PMs, announcements etc) will no longer appear there now?
Hi Ian!

Thank you for raising these very important questions.

The idea behind the design is to have everything user related in the top right corner of the WME, this is why the placement is next to the user's icon.

The feed will now serve as an "issues tracker" for map related items.

Private messages and announcements will be part of the bell icon, that is correct.

Best,
Maia
maiapas
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by maiapas
EloheiYishi wrote:I think the idea to remove the notifications from the feed is good. However, I have to agree with @iainhouse about the location - if it has to be close to the User icon (which seems OK), it would be better to redesign the left part of the screen and put it there. After we have the new Events tab, it would make a perfect sense to move the User and Bell icons next to the Waze logo (even moving the drop down for Livemap to the right). The logo itself can undergo a design change too, so the interface fits better, if needed.

The "Current live map" text should be changed and there should be design consistency (between the different Waze sites and products). Here is an example of this not happening now.
2021-04-16_19-28-10_msedge.png
2021-04-16_19-28-19_msedge.png
I suggest that the Waze logo be copied from the livemap web site and the drop-down menu option be changed to Livemap. We all know what it is, so no need for the "Current" prefix. Here is a quick proposal.
WME UI proposal 2021-04-16 EloheiYishi.png
As you can see, there is a lot of space left. And, this design solution will leave the right part of the screen completely for the edit functions and you will be able to move the layers button in the top bar, so it will not move so "ugly" when you activate the Street View. Please note that the current effect is a real work stoppper and also greatly reduces the visible map area even on a 27" screen.

Please take this into consideration. Thanks!
Thank you for the suggestion, EloheiYishi!

Could I ask you to please add it to uservoice? We have a new process for WME suggestions :)

Best,
Maia
maiapas
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by maiapas
lg1992 wrote:If I get a new PM while I'm in WME, the notification shows a tiny 1, but I dislike that the counter of unread PMs in the forum is reset to 0.
This is a good point, lg1992.

May I suggest you add it to uservoice so we can look into it?

Thanks,
Maia
maiapas
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message